The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
thenewminator

anyone runnin' a staggered 15"-17" wheel/tire combo?

ok so here's my situation...got my '84 C10 a few weeks ago. its already had a lot of work done to it,rear flip and lowered at least 4" in front with spindles and springs,and a bunch of custom body work already done quite well(and quite a bit of body work done to the cab not well at all)....anywho..as you'll see in the 1st pic when i brought her home she was rollin' on 15x9" slot mags with a 3 3/4" bs and tiny lil 235/60's. the tires were way to small for the truck even with it lowered and taller tires wouldnt fit cuz of the width and bs of the wheel. the other issues with the smaller tires is the speedo was waayy off and next to nada in ground clearance. i have since sold those and you'll notice in the 2nd and 3rd pic, i stepped up to 15x7's front with a 225/70 on my RF and a 235/70 on my LF(long story..the short is i made out good on the wheels in a cl deal,but got had on the tires that came with em) and 15x8's rear with 255/70's (cl score in my favor). front and rear wheels have a 4" bs and i'm quite happy with the fit of the wheels but def have no intention of stickin with the black wagons. but once i sold the mags i had to have somethin right now and they were cheap. i do plan to stick with the 225's for the front. The debate i keep havin with myself is the rear. The 255's are pretty close to the o.e. 235/75's diameter but not quite as tall as i was hopin. one option is to go an inch lower in the rear with a block,but i like the rake. i could prob even go with a taller 70,like a 265, but what is out there in that size is very limited. so i've been thinkin that since i plan on savin up for another set of wheels anyway,and i want a taller tire, i just mite go with a 17" in the rear. i'm quite confident (after a bit of research)a 255/65 or 275/60,which is about an inch taller than my 255/70, will fit with a 17x8" or 9" with a 4 1/2" bs. i realize that i would have to change gears if i go taller but thats fine if i get the look i want. My budget has no room for anything bigger like 18's or 20's which is fine cuz i prefer the old school look of tires with a decent amount of sidewall. it'll prob take longer to save for the 17's but thats cool too if i like the look.

so the point is...anyone with a square body runnin a 15"-17" or at least a 17" with a 60 or 65 series rear tire?
Attached Images