The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
bohmankid

water pumps

anybody have theirs fail? I just put my 2001 5.3 in and got it running. The water pump gaskets are brand new. I topped off the radiator while it was running and the next day there is a puddle underneath the truck. I started the truck and it starts pouring out of the bottom of the water pump. No noises, just leaking antifreeze. 80,000 miles on motor.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: water pumps

As a matter of fact I just replaced the water pump on my 2000 GMC a few weeks ago. It had been leaking intermittently for over a year. Best I could tell it was the gaskets. I thought I'd get away with just replacing them since the new pumps were over a $100. When I removed my pump I found the front bearing was real loose and it was a wonder the front seal hadn't gone out.
There are two designs of pumps too. You will need to remove yours and take with you to be sure you get the correct one. The difference in them is the thermostat end of it. The holes are different size and the thermostat is made to the housing on one of them. Mine was.
Not a hard job. Much easier than the older v belt setups. Hardest part was removing the fan clutch assembly. It takes a large wrench. Holding the water pump pulley while I broke big nut on the fan clutch loose was done on the floor where I could clamp a visegrip onto the pulley. New pulley comes on the new pump anyway.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote