The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Rinzler

Rim and tire size 58 Apache

I'm trying to figure out wheel and tire size that will fit nicely

Any suggestions or pics?

I was thinking 20" rims for the rear and maybe 18" or 20" for the front, I just want to make sure the front rims fill up the wheel well nicely and dont know if 18's will be big enough
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
meter swinger

Re: Rim and tire size 58 Apache

I cant upload pics from phone so ill try at work tomorrow. The biggest mistake i think people make with large wheels is not going big enough and not staggered enough. 22x10 in the rear and 20x8 on the front with staggered sidewall. Some people try the 18s with more sidewall and it ends up looking like late model stuff and clashes with the style of truck. The stance of the truck has a lot to do with it to. HA! But what do i know ive got staggered 15" rallyes on my 59. my 78 square body will have big rollers on it though, and i might put semi wheels on the dually. I guess im part 70's white trash and part 90's ghetto. What wheels are you looking at?
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Rinzler

I do think 18's will be too small.....20's in the front would be a much better fill
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
I cant upload pics from phone so ill try at work tomorrow. The biggest mistake i think people make with large wheels is not going big enough and not staggered enough. 22x10 in the rear and 20x8 on the front with staggered sidewall. Some people try the 18s with more sidewall and it ends up looking like late model stuff and clashes with the style of truck. The stance of the truck has a lot to do with it to. HA! But what do i know ive got staggered 15" rallyes on my 59. my 78 square body will have big rollers on it though, and i might put semi wheels on the dually. I guess im part 70's white trash and part 90's ghetto. What wheels are you looking at?
Posted via Mobile Device
Would love to see those pics meter swinger!
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Speedbumpauto

From the antagonist view, I think anything over 18" looks out of place on an old truck, but that's the beauty of all this. You get to choose the picture you want to see. I stretched my "old school" brain a bunch and went with
17's all the way around for sort of the same reason as you all. Wanted a little more wheel and a little less sidewall although really short sidewalls, to me, look out of place too. Could have gone with 18's, but the difference in tire I wanted for the rear was $1,000 and I diecided it wasn't worth it. Submitted for your approval, 17x7 front and 17x13.5 rear. I SHOULD be out working on it instead of posting here....but this is easier!
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
From the antagonist view, I think anything over 18" looks out of place on an old truck, but that's the beauty of all this. You get to choose the picture you want to see. I stretched my "old school" brain a bunch and went with
17's all the way around for sort of the same reason as you all. Wanted a little more wheel and a little less sidewall although really short sidewalls, to me, look out of place too. Could have gone with 18's, but the difference in tire I wanted for the rear was $1,000 and I diecided it wasn't worth it. Submitted for your approval, 17x7 front and 17x13.5 rear. I SHOULD be out working on it instead of posting here....but this is easier!
Your 17's look great on your truck. I also like how you tied the front body line into the stepside body line, looks good. Is your top chopped? What size tire are you running up front? Can you tell me the measurement from the ground to the bottom of your front fender well?

I am quite a ways from new rims and tires but want to plan early. My current setup is a 3" CPP drop axle with 3 leaf springs up front. My rear is out of a 68 C10 and has been flipped (6 lug all around). My truck currently sits almost perfectly level. Reason I am looking at a staggered setup is to get a slight rake and I like the look. BUT I also think it would be a major PITA not being able to rotate the tires......
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

The front fenderwell opening is about 23" from the ground but I have adjustable coil overs on the clip. I think my final ride ht will be about 3/4 inch higher after I get the suspension travel and bump stops worked out. For me that will be almost perfect as I think it has "slightly" too much rake in the pic I posted + that will give me almost 6" at the lowest part of the front fender/rocker instead of 5" and too little ground clearance takes the fun out of driving. I'm running a 215x60x17 on the front and the wheels are Weld RTS. Top is cut 3" to enhance the low, mean look? Thanks for the compliment on the body line. That was a really hard choice as there are so many examples of how others did it. I settled on mine because I thought it sort of tied in to the "Apache" name. I gave up on tire rotation years ago as it seems I always want more tire on the rear than the front. My age I guess
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
sqrlnts

Found a cool website that shows different size rims and tires on my truck. I am suprised they have the 58-59 Fleetside as a choice! The screen shots show the front and rear rim and tire size, I just wonder how accurate they are. You can also enter a drop or a lift, pretty cool. Here are a few i was messing around with.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
sqrlnts

more
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
_Ogre

15x8 rims, 4.5'' backsapce w/ P235/70R15 rubber fill out my wheel wells fine
not a fan of low profile tires

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
sqrlnts

I am not a fan of low, low profile tires either and I would say IMHO that starts at around a 45 and lower series.

As far as proportions go I really like the combo below. Not really big on this rim, I just used it because it had 17, 18, 19, and 20" versions. Looking at the combos now I think I have one piece of the puzzle figured out. A 2" rim size change from back to front is too obvious. A 1" size change like they use on the Corvettes is very subtle and looks good to my eye.
Attached Images

Last edited by sqrlnts; 03-27-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: rim epiphany
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Speedbumpauto

One of the things that website does show is what happens to the wheel well center and tire centerline when you lower the ride ht. That's a problem us "clip" guys have fought with and solved, most of the time. I'm not sure how one would do a good fix with a solid axle but it's worth thinking about now, before you start doing things.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
One of the things that website does show is what happens to the wheel well center and tire centerline when you lower the ride ht. That's a problem us "clip" guys have fought with and solved, most of the time. I'm not sure how one would do a good fix with a solid axle but it's worth thinking about now, before you start doing things.
I saw that as well. My truck is already lowered and my wheel looks to be more centered than what they are showing.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
jam-bo383

Hey, sqrlnts, do you have a link to that site?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
sqrlnts

http://www.autowaretech3.net/nextwheels/rimtyme.htm