The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
AJLChase

Air Compressor acting up

Hi all, I purchased a 60G 5hp Ingersoll Rand compressor about 2 years ago. Due to my MVA and the health it's left me in, I haven't been able to use it, or my garage. I decided to sell it, since it's a waste to have around, so I went to the garage to take a look at it and get it ready. First thing I noticed it was completely empty of air. My bro-in law uses the garage with me says he never bled it dry, though I don't always believe what he tells me.

Anywho, I closed up the valve and turned it on. After 20 minutes of pumping it it wouldn't go passed 110PSI. I let it run longer then started noticing smoke in the garage and that the AC pump was really hot. I shut it off and turned the heater on in the garage and left for 2 hours to let it cool down and heat up the garage thinking it was working too hard because of the cold.

When I went back, I changed out the oil, drained it and began the same routine with the same results. Compressor has literally less than 1 hour worth of run time. So what could it be?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
donut

Re: Air Compressor acting up

Any obvious leaks? Supply tube, tank drain, any plastic control lines, tank itself... you get the idea.
My single stage CH did this a while back and everything obvious checked out. Turned out to be a cracked reed valve in the head. New head for abt. 40 bucks and a belt and I was back in business.
This may or may not be your problem. but may give you another option for checking.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
truckdude239

sounds like one of ours at work the guys ran it with the vavle open on the bottom for a hour and busted a valve in the head had to have the heads rebuilt on it. the cold wont borther them as our 2 compressors are both outside and we run them everyday.

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
AJLChase

I'm going to give it some time I think to work on it. I'll contact Ingersoll tomorrow to see what they have to say. I am in really no hurry to pay $ to get it fixed, since it's just been sitting there.
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote