The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Storage in the pits without a trailer

I've never been to the drag strip before but I've slowing been gearing up to do so. It seems wherever I have lived, I'm always a couple hours away from the nearest one. Don't have a tow vehicle and trailer, probably won't for awhile. That means I'll have to drive in on my street tires and swap to drag radials at the track.

What do I do about storage as far as the rear tires, jack, jack stands, tools, and anything else I don't want to be in the truck when it runs down the strip? I was considering an aluminum tool box that could be removed from the bed and left in the pits with the wheels/tires chained to it. I could use a tool box for the truck anyway, I'm needing the storage lately. What do you guys do?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
shortbed70

Re: Storage in the pits without a trailer

Usually you can find someone there and park your truck and keep all your stuff in that spot with a chair there and most racers won't mess with it. If your worried take a rope lock and run through everything
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Depends where you live (and without sounding racist) how many ricers are around your track. I've NEVER had anything disappear at a race where there were racers. but as soon as firebird opened up this 'drift and drag' BS there was tons of import morons,, and things started disappearing out of trailers while people were in the staging lanes. It's was a sad day when I had to close my trailer up when i left for a lap. At speedworld i could leavy my weatherstation and laptop sitting out in plain sight and KNEW it would be there when I got back. The calibure of people that show up at the track when you race is unfortunately a huge variable.

Get in a area with real racers and just talk with them and ask if there is a problem with things walking away. 99.99% of them will tell you,, don't worry about it,, I'll keep an eye on your stuff.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
RatPwrd72

No problems at the tracks I frequent. If you're worried, ask someone who has a truck/trailer in the pits of you can leave your stuff with theirs. I've been on both sides of this and have no issues watching somebody's spare stuff.

1967 Chevy Short Step Drag Truck-Iron Headed 468 Making Memories

My momma took me off the bottle years ago.....
RatPwrd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I have also parked by a light pole and used a rope with a lock to "chain" everything together . Just trying to keep the honest , honest . For the most part what Marv said .

On import night i lock it up .

On grudge night i use my open trailer and have the minimum stuff .

On bracket weekends , i take the enclosed and open it up and leave it open . No worries . I even load the truck and cart up and leave the entire trailer overnight .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

On a test n tune night, I always tried to find a couple guys I recognized from car shows etc. That way I can put my stuff in a few parking spots and there will always be someone there to keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, the pop-up 9'x9' tents that harbour freight sells only cost about $55 and give you enough room to keep your stuff out of the weather....and most people won't mess around with someones stuff if its "together" like that.

Besides, every time I'm at the track, my junk doesn't compare to the big $$$ rides guys have.....my stuff isn't appealing to them.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Well if you make it up this way into the DFW you can put your gear in my trailer.. ( 28 ft enclosed plenty of room )Hey Marv moved to TX and we have a 1/8 that I can run at..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
capev86

it is a street legal truck.....put a hidden hitch on it and get a small enclosed trailer to haul your tools, parts, spare wheels, etc! who says your race vehicle can't also be a tow vehicle? it's a truck after all, right?!!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote