The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Your41Plague12

Lost Keys, any solutions? One major twist though

Ok, my '83 is down for the count due to a cab swap and I've been driving MY UNCLE's truck for the time being. Somehow, some way, I lost the keys this past weekend . He is sickly from cancer and can not leave his house. He has no spare key. The dealer will not cut me a blank key for his truck, even with the key code, unless he is present. There's no way he can make it to the dealership at all. There has to be some way for his truck to be mobile again if I can not find the keys, am I right? Is there some way for an independent locksmith to cut a key to the ignition? Or is there someone on this board that could do it for me under the radar? What should I do? Looking forward to replies, as this is my DD right now (I guess not without a key)! The truck in question is a 2004 Chevy 2500HD. Thanks guys.

Steve
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
bpeters5814

Re: Lost Keys, any solutions? One major twist though

I have no idea if either of these things will work, but that really sucks, so my suggestions:

If you have an ACE hardware in the area, or similar local hardware store, they may be able to cut a key for you. Hardware stores (in my experience) have a little more compassion and common sense when it comes to getting keys cut.

As a last ditch, have you thought about putting a whole new tumbler and key set in the steering column? I had to do this in an '88, but that was before all of the encoded key b.s. I don't know if you would be able to do that in an '04 and get away with it or not. My '03 1500HD doesn't have an encoded key set, so I assume an '04 wouldn't, either.

I don't suppose there is any way the dealer will allow a phone call from your uncle considering the situation? Seems like a pretty crappy dealership to me if they won't, but I also know how dealerships can be.

I hope you can get something figured out. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Your41Plague12

They told me there's absolutely no way to do it unless he is there in person. I explained my circumstances and he said there's absolutely nothing he can do. I even have the same last name as my uncle, to further prove my point. He's apparently concerned that I am trying to steal the truck. How would an ace hardware be able to cut a key for me without a key code or a spare key? I can't get the truck there.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
bpeters5814

I don't know if they can or not, I just know that our local Ace can cut encoded keys and I have all of my automotive spare keys made there. I thought maybe since they can cut encoded keys, they would be able to cut keys based on a VIN number or get a key code.

It ticks me off that the dealership is being like that. I really doubt that Ace hardware would be able to cut a key, but it's the only thing I can think of, other than replacing the whole tumbler assembly.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Your41Plague12

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Does anyone else have any ideas? How hard is it to replace the tumbler in an 04 2500HD? Can you get a tumbler/key assembly that way nothing needs cut?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Since he is sick does he have a person acting as his power of attorney? Maybe they could get a new key cut if they have the legal documentation.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your41Plague12 View Post
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Does anyone else have any ideas? How hard is it to replace the tumbler in an 04 2500HD? Can you get a tumbler/key assembly that way nothing needs cut?
It's not hard necessarily but it's not a 5 minute deal either. If you look around there GM's instructions can be found. You need to properly disable the airbag and be cautious with the clock spring mechanism. I replaced the column cylinder in my wife's '09 Suburban this year because it failed. The core with a new key cost around $80 from the dealership and it took me about an hour.

Your uncle can call GM or maybe the dealership and verify ownership to have a key made I think. Dealerships don't do this for good reason, how would you like it if somebody looked through your windshield at your VIN, made up a story and had a set of keys to YOUR truck made. They would be complicit and liable in Grand Theft Auto.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
same_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post

Dealerships don't do this for good reason, how would you like it if somebody looked through your windshield at your VIN, made up a story and had a set of keys to YOUR truck made. They would be complicit and liable in Grand Theft Auto.

That's right. I will tell you that if the ignition/lock cylinder is the original cylinder it may have the key code engraved on it. Most do. That would be worth a try. We pull the code off the cylinder and rekey new cylinders from that code all the time.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

To add to the point that Leevon made, the dealer is not being tough just to be tough. They have to document the keys they make and for whom I'm order to protect them and the vehicle owners. Sorry to hear about your situation.I would do like JWall said and take whoever has power of attorney and have them get the key cut. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
hotstuff

Did you try calling the GM customer service , they may be able to help you .
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
hyatt

It is agrivating but not the dealers fault State laws are very strict about key cutting and fines are very high to the dealer Like was said if he has someone with power of atourney they can probally make that work
1940 olds sedan (project)
1967 ss396 chevelle
1999 dually crewcab(24000 miles)
hyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

take the code you have for the keys and go to an independent lock smith, NOT the dealer. I had one done and it was like $30 because they had to use the "special" machine
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote