The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
LEEVON

Cupholder Stroke of Genius

There is one thing I have a hard time compromising on in an old truck...a cup holder. Day-to-day I get around but on those hot summer days when I roll through Sonic to get a big cherry limeade it just kills me that I have no where to put it.

I realized that the 99-06 Silverado seats with a console/seat have a front-mounted cup holder that might fit. I picked one up, and as an added bonus it has two metal supports on the bottom that will bolt directly to the seat frame. I just mocked it up for now, hopefully will get some time to finish the job soon but you get the idea! I may dye it interior color at some point in the future but for now I'm just glad to have one. I'll do a full write-up with pics when I get there and I plan to do this in my '71 also.

One thing about this pic, from this perspective it looks huge and out of place, but in reality it's the right scale, placement and ok in looks.

Whad'ya think?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
cory d

Re: Cupholder Stroke of Genius

right on. i need at least one. in the months of july and august i'll probably go through 900 slurpees
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
TexasSteve

Same as what is in my 2002 Sierra & I hate it!

Lemme know how much you like it the first time you reach down to get your Sonic drink (same flavor as me, BTW ) and the cup crushes, the lid pops off & you get the drink on the floor before you ever get the cup out.

IMHO, the rubber inserts grip the cup too tightly. I've thought of using a razor blade to trim the rubber back maybe 1/8" at a time until it holds the cup in place but doesn't HOLD the cup so tight so it can't be slid out easily & crushes instead.

Also thought about getting the Silverado center upper armrest/seatback piece I've seen that has the cup holders up there. Or seeing if I could remount that floor cupholder up under the dash edge where it would be easier to reach (after trimming the rubber).
2001 Yukon Factory Grey Metallic~2" DJM Key front drop/3" DJM Rear Springs~stock 16" chrome steel wheels~5.3/4L60E~Volante CAI w/under bumper air scoop~Magnaflow 10426 Bullet muffler~DDM LED all exterior lighting/55w-5000k HID Hi/Low/35w Fog
TexasSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
pig rig

nice idea that's a lot better looking then some Ive seen. its even better then the dual functioning roll of duct tape I use

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
1981Sturgis

I agree on the cupholder thing. I made a custom console out of a diamond plate tool box and installed marine style LED lighted Cupholders.
Attached Images

1981Sturgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSteve View Post
Same as what is in my 2002 Sierra & I hate it!

Lemme know how much you like it the first time you reach down to get your Sonic drink (same flavor as me, BTW ) and the cup crushes, the lid pops off & you get the drink on the floor before you ever get the cup out.

IMHO, the rubber inserts grip the cup too tightly. I've thought of using a razor blade to trim the rubber back maybe 1/8" at a time until it holds the cup in place but doesn't HOLD the cup so tight so it can't be slid out easily & crushes instead.

Also thought about getting the Silverado center upper armrest/seatback piece I've seen that has the cup holders up there. Or seeing if I could remount that floor cupholder up under the dash edge where it would be easier to reach (after trimming the rubber).
It does seem pretty "Grippy". Still better than nothing though. My belly has grown towards the steering wheel, enough that drinks don't fit in between my legs anymore...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
beamn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
It does seem pretty "Grippy". Still better than nothing though. My belly has grown towards the steering wheel, enough that drinks don't fit in between my legs anymore...
HA! I hear ya on that one! Funny how that happens the older we get!
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Newer trucks/cars have bigger steering wheels
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Better get a crew cab!
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
bohmankid

I might have to steal your idea. The grippier the better for my truck with a lift and large tires, it's bumpy!

And that diamondplated cup holder is super cool!!
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
bigwheel15

Awesome idea, where did you get the cup holder from? I know you said 99-06 silverados but was it Craigslist, eBay, etc?
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If the cup holder is too "grippy", why not cut the bottom 4-5 inches from another Sonic cup and stick it in there as a liner of sorts? The holder could hold onto it firmly and your new drink cup slides in-out of it freely.
Just and idea in need of a test drive.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel15 View Post
Awesome idea, where did you get the cup holder from? I know you said 99-06 silverados but was it Craigslist, eBay, etc?
I have the same one in my 2002 GMC Sierra & always thought that the Sierra's got those & the Silverados got ones in the back of the fold down center seat back, but I dunno now. Would love to trade my floor one (like the OPs one) for the seat back with the cup holders in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
If the cup holder is too "grippy", why not cut the bottom 4-5 inches from another Sonic cup and stick it in there as a liner of sorts? The holder could hold onto it firmly and your new drink cup slides in-out of it freely.
Just and idea in need of a test drive.....
But that would make is "size specific" & smaller cups/20oz bottles would lop around. And are why I never cut mine. Don't want smaller cups/bottles flopping loose.
2001 Yukon Factory Grey Metallic~2" DJM Key front drop/3" DJM Rear Springs~stock 16" chrome steel wheels~5.3/4L60E~Volante CAI w/under bumper air scoop~Magnaflow 10426 Bullet muffler~DDM LED all exterior lighting/55w-5000k HID Hi/Low/35w Fog
TexasSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel15 View Post
Actually I put a WTB ad on www.gmfullsize.com.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Love these cupholders!
I had one in my '91 s10.
They are perfect to add,... and can be removed later for the purists.
I look for them all the time at swap meets.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
rs74

I have them in my 03 2500HD and like them. My coffee mug doesn't fill the hole up and it does have some slop but that is why I have a lid on my mug. I have never had an issue with the tops collapsing in mine with fast food cups.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
THE "10" SILVERADO

Beats the hell outta the "wet crotch cupholder".
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i mess with my wife all the time i'm gonna steal hers from her sierra for my truck. I like them need to start looking at the yard.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #19
88Jimmy4x4

Thats a great idea
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #20
andrewmp6

I have seen a cup holder like that on a bench seat s10 before.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote