The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
jonesky2

gauge help

Rewired my engine harness in my 1970 blazer I see in the new M&H harness there is a wire for the oil pressure sensor.

I currently have idiot lights but im converting over to gauges. I want to know if I can keep the idiot light for the oil and also have a mechanical oil gauge.
maybe a t-fitting?

If not, is the pressure sensor necessary? why would they put a a wire for a oil sensor? I also saw on autozones web site they have sensors for guages or idiot lights so is the pressure sensor necessary for a stock mechanical guage?

I would like to run both if possible but have no idea how to hook up both
jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
old man jimmy

Re: gauge help

Not a problem at all. Have done this many times on older cars. All you'll need is a little nipple and tee. If you use a mechanical gauge you don't need a sensor on the tee, just your tube to the gauge. The other end of the tee put your sensor to your light. The gauge sensor you mentioned is for an electrical gauge. (just a wire from sensor to gauge).
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
in deep 72

I'm hoping to have both Guages and lights also.....but am making my project WAY over complicated. I'm currently switching to all AutoMeter gauges. Once that's done I'm going to try program an Aurdino board to watch the outputs and trigger a warning light when they get too high.....Down the road I may try add a digital readout like the newer cars have. Like I said, WAY over complicated, but the board was only $25 so thought I'd try be an origional.
in deep 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
RED 1970
Account Suspended

the sensor for a gauge and for a light operate differently.

The gauge sensor will send a variable signal depending on the pressure.
The light sensor will only send a signal when the pressure is below a certain level.

You will need to get a 't' fitting to plug into the block at the back to the driver side of the distributor. Due to the size of the sending units you might need to get creative with adapters and extensions.

Sounds like you will need one wire to the harness if you want to run both a light and a gauge.
RED 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
in deep 72

Good point Red. I missed that, and I work with engine sensors every day, LOL.

That's the difference between a sensor (give a defined temp or pressure) and a switch (just on and off) you'll probably need 2 sending units and add another wire. I haven't looked into it much due to going a different route, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I'd probably keep the factory system the way it is (your light) and add a sending unit and wire to run the new gauge.
in deep 72 is offline   Reply With Quote