The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
dakattack7

First timer, new comer and need purchase advice. 69 cst lb

Hello all, my name is Dakota and this is my first post. Ive been lurking and learning about these trucks for about 6 months on here. I've been into chevy trucks since i was very young, so now that it is time for my first vehicle and I'm privilaged enough to get a choice, I've been looking for a second gen c10. I want power steering, power brakes, and ac. I'd also prefer a truck with trim so a CST or cheyenne would be the best, and original paint. I like most shortbeds and some longbeds, this is one of those. It is a 69 CST with a 91 suburban 350 and a brand new, 500 miles on it gm 700 tranny with overdrive! Power steering and brakes, and "ac" (Ill get to this later) The truck is very mechanically sound, and drives wonderful. Drives like a new truck. only some slight column play. There is only some small interior fixes. It has a perfect stance with new tires and nice rallys. Barely any rust at all, western truck. There is only one problem, the ac. It seems to be out of a 72, as a middle vent was installed. So the dash is cut there. It also does not blow cold air. It seems to blow fine, but not cold air. I know there is a few easy fixes that could cause that like the cowl vent opening or the heater lever or what not. didnt really check those things. There is also a tube hanging out and I believe it is the ac system under the dash, there is more of it showing then should be I believe. The dash is also cut for a sterio, along with the doors for speakers. So basically everything is mechanically sound, has had a lot invested in the transmission alone, and needs no body work. But, how much will it be to return the ac to looking factory and working properly? I also wanted to do the work on my truck, but i don't have experience so this would probably be a better option, and i can save up for a project shortbed in a year or two. Please let me know what you think, the truck is $6500 but ive worked the price down to under 6. Is it worth it? Good canidate to daily and fix up? Too much work to return the dash and ac to original? I think it is nicer then any I've seen on craigslist for my price range, and i was in love with how it drives! I'll have a summer job and 5 months until i get my license to work on it too, keep that in mind. Any tips, comments or opinions are welcome! Pictures below

The original paint also looks better in real life.

The spid is hard to read, is air conditioning listed? I think it is, on the right but im not sure.

What do you think? Thanks!
dakattack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
domeier

Re: First timer, new comer and need purchase advice. 69 cst lb

If you weren't in Mesa, that AC might not matter very much. But since you are in Mesa... I think I'd want the seller to knock off $1k for it. It might be a simple fix, but with AC, nothing is ever simple. Or cheap.

Also: I don't think I'd want to own one of these trucks without power steering, and that brake proportioning valve has some odd looking plumbing. Did the PO put disc brakes on it?

It's a nice looking truck. For me, I think I'd wait for one with power steering, but I am old and have weak girly-man arms.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
dakattack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
If you weren't in Mesa, that AC might not matter very much. But since you are in Mesa... I think I'd want the seller to knock off $1k for it. It might be a simple fix, but with AC, nothing is ever simple. Or cheap.

Also: I don't think I'd want to own one of these trucks without power steering, and that brake proportioning valve has some odd looking plumbing. Did the PO put disc brakes on it?

It's a nice looking truck. For me, I think I'd wait for one with power steering, but I am old and have weak girly-man arms.
It does have power steering, and I've gotten $900 off the price for the ac. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I don't know what the brake proportioning valve is. Where is it located? What looks odd about it? I believe it has disc brakes, is there such thing as power drum brakes? What would be wrong with the plumbing of this brake valve? Expensive fix? Would it cause a lot of problems?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
dakattack7

Also, does anybody know of a good shop we could get it inspected at near Goodyear, Arizona? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakattack7 View Post
It does have power steering, and I've gotten $900 off the price for the ac. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I don't know what the brake proportioning valve is. Where is it located? What looks odd about it? I believe it has disc brakes, is there such thing as power drum brakes? What would be wrong with the plumbing of this brake valve? Expensive fix? Would it cause a lot of problems?
Posted via Mobile Device
It probably is no problem at all they just did a sloppy job bending the lines. It is the unit attached to the MC by the two lines. There is power drums on 69's so if you have front disc it has been changed. You can see it on mine Just below the MC I changed mine to a 72 front axle.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
dakattack7

Well everyone, the truck is almost mine. Spent a day thinking, researching and getting opinions of other people, but my dad just got off the phone with the owner, and were picking it up tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
domeier

Congratulations. That's awesome. Power steering too. You will be stylin', my man!

My first vehicle was a 71 C10, when I was stationed at Luke AFB in the 80's. No power brakes or steering, and no AC. That was a fun place to own a truck, but I don't know how I stayed alive without AC. It must have been later on when I turned into a sissy.

If it has disc brakes, they were added later. Makes for easier maintenance and maybe stops a little better. 71 was the first year for discs. It's common to find trucks that have been upgraded. If not, power drums work great too.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
yuccales

That's a nice looking truck! Congrats!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Mr Handy

Awesome. looks like a solid truck.
long beds are the best, you can fit another 6/8 girls in a long bed vs a short
My collage car was a 2001 Chevy tracker 4 door and my record was me and 6 girls... true story. I wish I had a truck back then.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Congrats! The a/c vent in the center is factory... leave it, you'll be glad its there when the ac gets fixed.

Posted via Mobile Device
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
jorgensensc

I think you did great. The brakes may have been upgraded to disc, which would be a good thing for you. Although judging by the master cylinder compartments being equal in size and the 6 lug still on the front, I think it is still drum brakes. Usually if someone goes stock disc brakes they convert over to 5 lug ( as 71-72 had factory disc brakes but were 5 lug). And if he bought an aftermarket kit to keep the 6 lug front, then he would have probably used the correct master cylinder after going through that expense. If you don't have disc brakes that would be the first mod I would do if it were me. There are threads on here on how to do it fairly inexpensively useing stock 71-72 parts or using 73+ parts that are plentiful and cheap in the junkyard. I would do this even before the AC.

On the AC. Does the clutch engage when you turn on the AC? If so then you may be low on freon or out of freon with a leak. Also depending on if it is r134 or r12 your system may not function great without some modifications if it is r134. If it is r12 you probably won't be able to find the freon as its not made/sold anymore. You may be able to find some somebody has left over, but its going to be expensive.
Just search here on the message board and you will find the mods to make the r134 work. Unfortunately what I have found when buying used vehicles where the AC doesn't work there is usually a reason that is beyond a simple recharge. Owners don't mind spending the money to have it recharged once, but if it leaks out fairly quickly then they know its something more costly, (especially in AZ). So be prepared for that.
On a side note, you seem like a really intelligent young person. You may not be mechanically inclined yet, but you did your research before you came on here and asked questions and before you went out and bought the first thing you saw. You spoke intelligently about the truck and the concerns. You will have absolutely no problem getting up to speed on fixing these old trucks! I lok forward to your questions and watching you learn as it seems to me you will garner the knowledge on this board and appreciate it!
Good luck!
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 05-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
MidLifer

Looks like a nice dry rust-free truck, gotta love AZ for that. I second everything that's been said about the AC system. It probably leaks - expect to have to buy a new compressor and maybe an evaporator, lines, etc. $1000 is a good budget.

Also ask for a receipt on the transmission, and have a mechanic inspect the engine if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. Be sure to have the compression checked.

Sad to say but there is most always a reason beyond "too many projects" "need the cash" "want a new toy" why people sell vehicles.

As far as the price, it seems prices are creeping up for these trucks since I was in the market. Must be the patina fad and the improving economy. $6000 seems a bit stiff to me but maybe only $1000 or so.

Lastly, what's with the missing door panel and door hardware? Does the owner have that stuff? Are you ok with the condition of the interior otherwise?
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Also, install 3 point seatbelts. Easy mod. You can use just about anything from aftermarket to junkyard stuff. I had a 73-87 set in my truck for years before I switched to a cleaner looking aftermarket set. S10 ones work as well. Just spend some time searching until you find a clean install you like.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
dakattack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Also, install 3 point seatbelts. Easy mod. You can use just about anything from aftermarket to junkyard stuff. I had a 73-87 set in my truck for years before I switched to a cleaner looking aftermarket set. S10 ones work as well. Just spend some time searching until you find a clean install you like.

Are the 3 point belts in the LMC catalog good quality/easy to install? I was going to order those when I have some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
I think you did great. The brakes may have been upgraded to disc, which would be a good thing for you. Although judging by the master cylinder compartments being equal in size and the 6 lug still on the front, I think it is still drum brakes. Usually if someone goes stock disc brakes they convert over to 5 lug ( as 71-72 had factory disc brakes but were 5 lug). And if he bought an aftermarket kit to keep the 6 lug front, then he would have probably used the correct master cylinder after going through that expense. If you don't have disc brakes that would be the first mod I would do if it were me. There are threads on here on how to do it fairly inexpensively useing stock 71-72 parts or using 73+ parts that are plentiful and cheap in the junkyard. I would do this even before the AC.

On the AC. Does the clutch engage when you turn on the AC? If so then you may be low on freon or out of freon with a leak. Also depending on if it is r134 or r12 your system may not function great without some modifications if it is r134. If it is r12 you probably won't be able to find the freon as its not made/sold anymore. You may be able to find some somebody has left over, but its going to be expensive.
Just search here on the message board and you will find the mods to make the r134 work. Unfortunately what I have found when buying used vehicles where the AC doesn't work there is usually a reason that is beyond a simple recharge. Owners don't mind spending the money to have it recharged once, but if it leaks out fairly quickly then they know its something more costly, (especially in AZ). So be prepared for that.
On a side note, you seem like a really intelligent young person. You may not be mechanically inclined yet, but you did your research before you came on here and asked questions and before you went out and bought the first thing you saw. You spoke intelligently about the truck and the concerns. You will have absolutely no problem getting up to speed on fixing these old trucks! I lok forward to your questions and watching you learn as it seems to me you will garner the knowledge on this board and appreciate it!
Good luck!
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device
All 4 drum brakes, just checked. But it does stop great and the booster was rebuilt I believe, I'll have to check the receipts again. I think there is a leak in the ac, it might be my problem. I have tons of pictures to post of just the truck and questions about certain things. It was converted to 134. Thank you for the kind words and I look forward to learning and utilizing all the info and help this forum provides! Pictures to come. Drove the truck home for $5500, and theres a nice story as to why. The owners dad (Or maybe the dad was the owner) was happy to see it was going to someone who planned on keeping it original and not molesting it, and that for my first truck I wanted a 67-72. Very nice people!