The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
chucks70

OT furnace ?

Anyone out there a furnace guru? My niece has a 1993 REEM 90 Plus model #RGRA-07EMAES. Three days ago worked fine. The only thing out of the ordinary is that someone threw a brick through her window and it ran all day. When she got home she shut it off then back on in the evening. After that no heat. The fresh air blower works, the glow light works and the blower will kick on after about 2 min. Definetly gas in the pipe before the regulator but no gas is getting to the burners. I suspect the gas regulator but not sure. Any input. Didn't have an electrical tester with me to see if the reg. valve was getting electric to it or not. Appreciate any help.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
walker

It's beem a few years but I'll give it a try. The easiest thing with these newer funaces is to pull off the control panel cover, the one that houses the computer module. Usually there is a LED in there flashing to tell you what is going on. On steady is usually 24vac power is on. Then turn on the t-stat the light will start to flash to tell you if it is going through a pre purge, then the ignitor will start to glow. When this is glowing after a few seconds you should hear a click. That is the gas valve trying to open. If you hear a hiss you have gas going through and it should ignite. If you hear a click and don't hear the hiss;be sure you have gas supply, valve is on, lever(or knob) on top of the gas valve is on. Then take a tiny screwdriver and when the gas valve clicks hold the screwdriver over the top, one at a time, of the two solenoids on top. If you feel a magnetic pull that solenoid is working, try again and hold over the second solenoidto see if it is working.
If it goes through this process 3 times(I think) It should lock itself out. The LED will then blink off a trouble code. These can usually be found on one of the inner furnace panels.
Give some of that a try and write back. Also, watch your face when that ignitor is going off, GAS IS EXPLOSIVE! You might want to mix up a batch of soapy water to check the flez connector for leaks too.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:10 AM   #3
chucks70

Ok, when I was there earlier had the cover off with all power off. Turned the power on and the thermostat to 65. (Held the safety switch in) Two green lights came on below where the therm. wire hook in. The fan that looks like a hair dryer on steroids came on. About 30 sec. later the glowrod started getting hot. About 90 sec. later the furnace blower turned on. No clicks from the regulator and definetly no gas passed it.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
1972ChevyGuy

Is the gas/fuel oil (whatever your running) coming out of the nozzle?
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:35 AM   #5
walker

Sounds like a faulty gas valve or module, Ive replaced more modules than gas valves. However, there are many, many different problems that can crop up that seem the same. You need to let it cycle a few times before those two green lights tell you what is wrong. There should be a guide to what the green lights are telling you inside there somewhere. Also need to verify gas supply( turn off appliance valve, disconnect flex, open valve, reversee procedure).
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:40 AM   #6
cdowns

sounds like you've got a bad solenoid on the gas valve
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:31 PM   #7
Dads72

I asked around about this, and got the following. Hope it helps.

"I would check the: 1. gas valve 2.high stack temp limit.

My thoughts are , the automatic gas valve may have gotten too hot and may be sticking shut. The rubber seat on these things tends to do this if they overheat. When she shut it down the stack temp may have spiked & tripped the over temp switch switch & it may need to be reset....."
Dads72 is offline   Reply With Quote