The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
RadRod

Lowering my '69

I finally picked up a 1969 Longbox Fleetside yesterday after months of searching and I thought I would ask you guys what you would suggest for lowering?

I would like to drop it around 3 inches, as it sits fairly high right now. I'm aiming for a slight bit of wheel tuck.

On my old mazda I had Nitro Drop 2's and 3" blocks in the rear, and the torsion bars cranked right off and it was dumped, but in a bad way.

It has trailing arms/coils in the rear instead of leafs so what do you suggest for lowering options?

Thanks!!
RadRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
steelhorse

Re: Lowering my '69

I would go with drop spindles and 1 inch springs up front and 3 inch springs in the rear. Just my $.02
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!! I did 2 1/2 drop spindles in front and 4 drop springs rear.The spindles will require a switch to disc brakes front and a new MC proportioning valve for the brakes.The rear springs are a bolt on but will work better with a shock relocation kit.Spindles let you lower with less issues with wheel alignment.You will also have to check your wheels since factory 6 lug from this era don't usually clear disc calipers.Front lowering springs are available but more than 2 inches seems to lead to alignment problems.You can of course use a combination though more than 4 inches in rear requires and adjustable panhard bar and more than 6 a c-notch to the frame.There's no really simple answer to your question but if you do a search,there will be lots of info to educate yourself with.

You also should be aware of the fact that a 3 in drop spring will generally not give you three in of drop/The original springs have probably sagged over the last 40+ years and drop springs will be based on factory height springs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
50bomb

If you have drums all around and coils all around and wanted to save. YOu could just do a basic 3"/5" drop with the adjustable panhard bar. Only thing about goin 3" drop coils front is they have to add quite a bit of spacers to align it right. And those spacers sometimes take a beating and fall out. It happen to me when i had that on a 64 chevy truck. Unless firestone just didnt know how to do alignment. Best is to get the disc brake front so you can do drop spindles and coils. I wouldnt just drop it 2" cause most likely your truck over the years has sagged down to a 2" drop. That is how mine is now. Was gonna install 2" drop coils and realize mine sagged to that height. haha
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
kaynnon

If you cut 1 coil from the front springs will it mess with alignment very much?

Do 4" rear springs require the shock relocate or can you get by without them?

How much trouble is involved with moving the shocks?

Just wondering because I want to do this before I put my new tires and rallies on.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bomb View Post
If you have drums all around and coils all around and wanted to save. YOu could just do a basic 3"/5" drop with the adjustable panhard bar. Only thing about goin 3" drop coils front is they have to add quite a bit of spacers to align it right. And those spacers sometimes take a beating and fall out. It happen to me when i had that on a 64 chevy truck. Unless firestone just didnt know how to do alignment. Best is to get the disc brake front so you can do drop spindles and coils. I wouldnt just drop it 2" cause most likely your truck over the years has sagged down to a 2" drop. That is how mine is now. Was gonna install 2" drop coils and realize mine sagged to that height. haha
That's an alignment shop issue. Regardless of the added shims, if they fell out, they weren't tightened properly. Sounds like they left the upper control arm nuts a bit loose to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynnon View Post
If you cut 1 coil from the front springs will it mess with alignment very much?

Do 4" rear springs require the shock relocate or can you get by without them?

How much trouble is involved with moving the shocks?

Just wondering because I want to do this before I put my new tires and rallies on.
If you're on a budget, you can cut a coil from the front springs. That will net you right at 2 inches of drop. It shouldn't be any issue for alignment at that mild of a drop

In the rear, you can run 4 inch springs without relocators. It won't ride as well as if you had them, but it will work. Over the years, lots of guys, myself included, did it this way and ran many miles just as happy as can be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
50bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
That's an alignment shop issue. Regardless of the added shims, if they fell out, they weren't tightened properly. Sounds like they left the upper control arm nuts a bit loose to begin with.

If you're on a budget, you can cut a coil from the front springs. That will net you right at 2 inches of drop. It shouldn't be any issue for alignment at that mild of a drop

In the rear, you can run 4 inch springs without relocators. It won't ride as well as if you had them, but it will work. Over the years, lots of guys, myself included, did it this way and ran many miles just as happy as can be.
Posted via Mobile Device
okay cool. I wanted to go with a 3"/6" but ECC doesnt sell the 3" front coils and also said I couldnt go with 3" front coils cause I need drop spindles. I refuse to go disc brake. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure. Anywho I guess I could of orderd just the rear but way to expensive on shipping. Plus I live maybe 10 miles from CPP and truck shop. Gonna plan on buying from one of them by the end of the month. 3/5,panhard bar and shock relocaters for rear and probably an alignment and I should be good to cruise.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
jmorri34

X2 same as above, spring and drop spindle up fromt and 3 inch springs in the rear
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
ItsRandy

I have a '69 long bed and lowered mine 4/6 (more like 5/7 after adjustments) with spindles and springs. The disc brakes on the front REALLY make a difference in the fun factor when you drive it, I recommend the upgrade.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Beautiful truck!^^^

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bomb View Post
I refuse to go disc brake. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure.
Hahaha that is my new quote of the month!
I actually feel the same way. I love my drums but I need my drop spindles installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Toxic Orange

ItsRandy can you clarify 4/6 (more like 5/7 after adjustments), curious what you did to make it lower than the kit.
Toxic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #13
Evaded

X2 ^^ also some info about how you got rid of the vent windows?? Sorry to Hijack..
Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
50bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Hahaha that is my new quote of the month!
I actually feel the same way. I love my drums but I need my drop spindles installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Orange View Post
ItsRandy can you clarify 4/6 (more like 5/7 after adjustments), curious what you did to make it lower than the kit.
I clipped a coil or so from the front springs and added a few shims to the lowering blocks in the rear.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
X2 ^^ also some info about how you got rid of the vent windows?? Sorry to Hijack..
Brother's one piece window kit with the power option.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
bugmasta

Talk to the guys at ECE and they will hook you up. Wealth of knowledge there and they are good guys to chat with.

http://www.earlyclassic.com/
Posted via Mobile Device

Club longbed ...cause girls like'em long!!!!!
bugmasta is offline   Reply With Quote