The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Slim Pickins

Slim's Saweet 16 Ride '83 c2500

Today my 14 year old son and I really started to dive into his first project, a 1983 GMC c2500 long bed. He purchased the truck about 8 months ago from my brother with a blown transmission and a non-running 350 motor.

I have 5 kids, Slim being the oldest, and I am a Sales Manager for a Sporting Goods Manufacturer so money is tight and automobile knowledge is scarce. That said, we are going to get this old rusty thing running and looking as good as our skill and dollars can afford. Slim turns 16 in a 13 months so we are going to do the best we can to get him a decent high school ride that he can continue to work on in auto mechanics.

Here is where we are now:

Paid $150 for the truck
Traded a leaf blower for used transmission
Removed the old Trans but have not installed the new one yet
Traded welding helmet for two new replacement fenders since the truck had minor front end damage
Got a new aftermarket bumper for $40 from a guy that sold his truck
Sold some tools to buy an old but never used Western Chassis lowering kit. Only paid a couple hundred bucks, has a flip kit with c-notch, lowering shackles, lowering spindles (don't know that they will work) and lowering springs.

We got the bed off a couple days ago but had to cut a bunch of bolts to do so. The salt they use on the winter roads here in Utah, has caused us incredible problems. Many bolts dont even have threads left, just a rusty mess which means snapped bolts when you try and torque the nut off. We removed the passenger gas tank since it had a massive rust hole in through it. We will see if we replace it or just use the drivers side tank.

I don't have the help to get the Trans in yet so we started on the flip kit today. I should mention that Slim has two herniated discs in his back from weight training for football so he is unable to lift much, thus ending his football season before it began. At least I can set him up with a chair and a wire wheel.

We managed to get the passenger side rear flip done today. Who knew leaf springs were so heavy? Our next task is to do the drivers side and get to the c- notches. Oh and the shackles are in. I am hoping we can figure out the front drop since the rear is already looking like a 7-8 inch drop. I know we can put the old shackles back on if needed but as of now, we only have 2 inch lowering springs that will work for sure. Really hoping the spindles work but not counting on it since to says they work for a c1500 or c3500.

I just wanted to add that I would have never tried to do a build without this forum. I've learned so much and appreciate everyone sharing their stories and experience.

No pics from the work today, sun went down on us.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Slim Pickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
northeimcustom

Re: Slim's Saweet 16 Ride '83 c2500

awesome!, looks like a great project for you and your boy. keep the pics rollin!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Slim Pickins

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Slim Pickins

Big ole drums
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Slim Pickins

This should've been the first pic. This is what we started with after we removed the old camper that was on it for years.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  53.3 KB
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Slim Pickins

I have a couple questions regarding headers. First, are there any headers that will bolt up to the stock exhaust? Second, will 60's Camaro headers off a 350 sb fit? Again, no experience but the stock e. manifold broke.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Slim Pickins

Finally made some slight progress today. Since the last time I worked on this, Slim has had two more appointments for his back, another one of my kids had an ER visit, I had a two-day business trip to Birmingham...it is tough to find time to work on the truck. Finally finished the rear flip today. The axle is resting soundly on the bump stops. I am planning to get the truck in the garage this weekend so I can tackle the c-notch (remove bump stops) and reinstall the Trans and work on the front drop over the next few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Slim Pickins

Slim got off the couch long enough to admire my work. Notice his giant back brace and attempt to smile through the pain
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Slim Pickins

Sitting on the bumps.

The left rear drum will not roll forward but will roll backwards freely. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? I have the emergency brake disconnected and no transmission in the truck so it should move, right? Sorry, no experience working on drum brakes or could it be an axle issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
Slim Pickins

Found this for $300 (no title parts truck) but I have no way to pick it up. It is over 4 hours away and has no engine or Trans but the body is straight and has no cancer. Bummed because I've been looking for a bed but could get the whole truck for cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
Slim Pickins

We've been busy but my Dad and me found a way to buy the chevy truck. The guy will take $225 for the truck so we found a lot of metal to recycle for money. We have enough so we are picking up the 1972 Camper Special tomorrow. Once we see it, we are going to decide if we are going to continue to build the GMC or use it for parts on the Chevy. It is a long drive but should be fun with my dad. I am sick of going through dumpsters looking for cans and metal but that crappy work will be worth it tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
Slim Pickins

We finally got my second truck home. This truck is in better shape since it didn't get crashed. We are going to put the engine and stuff from the GMC into the Camper Special. Thanks to my uncle Russ for driving my Dad and me so far to get it. $225 for this truck is a good deal, even without a engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images