The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
dirtracer81_2

problems with ez chassis mount kit 81 2wd frame

Here is reasons i wasn't satisfied with my kit!!!
Absolutely no instructions and if you try calling them good luck. I left messages and everything for weeks before I bought mine.

Problems with it.
Cab mounts were great. Radiator support only has one bolt hole you drill the other im guessing when your lined up. I was told you use the chevy pedal and booster that's a lie wont clear the colum. My plate for firewall hood hinge holes had to be cut out some more were an inch or so low.
Bumper brackets are definlately a joke you have to cut the front frame off and drill your own holes. Basically better to start with stock ones.

Things i learned from a fellow friend. Front crossmenber has to be trimmed alot to clear radiator. Also had firewall alignment problems. Comes with steering shafts but no u joints to connect them for van column.

Here's some more things i ran into today. After clearancing my inner fenders i find out the the ez chassis radiator support mount is hitting the steering Box.

It really makes no sense to have wasted that money on something that was not bolt on. Would have made me feel much better if it had instructions saying hey cut this and that.
Posted via Mobile Device
dirtracer81_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

Re: problems with ez chassis mount kit 81 2wd frame

Wow I ordered my kit Friday and Ed has already emailed me instructions and as far i know at least for 47-54 Chevys the stearing shaft is for an s-10 column, And Ed has returned all my calls and answerd all my questions. And what sold me on his kit was the people at the shows i talked to that had used his kit and the only complant anyone had was about his trans crossmember. And anybody doing an S-10 swap has to cut the ends of the frame off and the instuctions he sent show that you have to drill some holes. He sent me info on recomended radiators to use. And I'm not trying to take up for the guy and I havn't got my kit either but it looks to be a lot better than the other one on the market but I'll let you know in a couple of weeks and if i can ever figure out how to post pics i will do a build thread.
918733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
55dude

Always good to get feedback on supposed "bolt on kits" good or bad. in my experience the one thing that yearly bolts on is a "wheel"
Posted via Mobile Device
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
dirtracer81_2

So finally got to speak with the owner after months of trying. He actually forgot to email me instructions which did help some. And I did forget to mention mine is a 57.

The front alignment issue I was having is still not solved he said I may need to shim the front of the cab. On the 58 they done it had 6 on one side and 4 on the other. I mean dang whats this about haha.

And 55dude you are exactly right. I had a c10 column stuck in it and now seems I am ordering another column from ebay. Found some super cheap. I guess thats why so many projects never get finished because we give up but im trying to hang in there haha.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Four On The Floor

Use the steering shaft from a '96 era Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand Cherokee), its the perfect length and has the correct uj's on the ends for hooking up to the S10 steering box and steering column. You just need to re drill one of the uj pinch bolts slightly, but it'll be obvious when you fit it.

As for your other complaints, I have to say, it appears you didn't do enough research before buying the kit, because you would have known all this already if you had! I made my own conversion using all the S10 parts that I cut off because I research everything first and decided the EZ kit just wasn't worth it and saved myself $1000 by doing so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Four On The Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
dirtracer81_2

I have a 2nd series so an s10 frame is not an option. And the directions I just got it was only tested on a 73-80 model 2wd frame. 4wds were a little different in the frontt. I had to make a driver side radiator mount and trim my support to clear the steering box.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Four On The Floor

Is the 4wd front track width wider than the 2wd? Just curius as I used a 4wd rear axle because its around 5" wider
Posted via Mobile Device
Four On The Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Groyd

Ed was always quick to answer any questions or emails for me. Very nice and knowledgable over the phone. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Fatbear

My ez kit is one of the best things i got. Ed emailed me instrustions with a list of other parts that i might need like rad, motor mounts,hose, ect ( 52 short bed). I had to make some modifications but that was because i was using a 1996 frame and a 88 full size colume.
The parts to locate body and bed are super, if you dont have tools to cut and make your own, just had them welded on and put body on. I did put a blazer 4x4 rear end in fits much better, truck has a 350 and a turbo 350, also put a seat in with sholderbelt made in out of 92 pu still lots of work to do, sorry you did not like your kit but it was a good buy for me and my 52
Fatbear
Fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
darrell57

never knew they made kits to set them on another frame. I fabricated mine. would be neat to see some pics of how others have done them. mines prob not professional but gets the job done
darrell57 is offline   Reply With Quote