The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Coupeguy2001

emergency brake

What are some of you doing for emergency brake cables on the forward end?
57 half ton,
I cut off my frame, replaced it with a Kimbridge stub, and the factory emergency brake linkage and cable are not going to go back on.
I am still using the original hand brake handle.

What I did in the mean time is to buy a cable, shorten the outer jacket to length, then cut the cable and put it back under the bed on the arm that is already there. I found an adapter that the cable will screw onto at the top end, and made a firewall plate that the cable jacket will fit in, then attached the top of the cable to the handle. The cable comes out of the firewall through my plate in the original hole that the old brake rod came out of.
I need to make some sort of bracket to dead end the jacket into under the bed so that the outer jacket is fixed and can't move.
Right now, I have the thing rigged up so that it's a one time use only brake for emergency. if I use it the way it is, it just tears up the cable jacket. I Gotta get crackin' on it because it worries me that I can't set the brake.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
sqrlnts

Re: emergency brake

tagged. When you get this figured out I need pics! I need to rework mine as well, insurance ya know.....
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Try and google a company called "control cables inc" they are local here in southern Cali. I was going to have them make me transmission shifter cable for my truck and my emergency brake cable. A little pricey maybe, but to have a heavy duty cable that fits and works is more important too me.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

I scrapped what was left of the entire emergency brake setup on my truck and used Control Cables from the lever to the rear drums. It saves a lot of time and fab work. I spent about $175 total. Here is a pic of how my cables are secured on the end and might give you an idea if you are fabbing yours. Control Cables is a good place to work with if you decide to get different cables.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Coupeguy2001

Thanks guys,
I'm thinking I need to make a bracket similar to that one Russell has that holds the cable out away from the frame, but inline with the lever arm. Now how do I get the ferrule back onto the cable.........Hmmmm
And angle Iron looks so cheezy. I need something that looks factory and is stamped out.
By the way, I have an extra parking brake handle.
Hello EBay ?

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 06-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
_Ogre

speaking of parking brake handles, control cable has this one for $36
lot cheaper than i've seen anywhere, maybe i'll add a parking brake to truk

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
...maybe i'll add a parking brake to truk...
You're driving WITHOUT one?! You know that they're also known as "emergency" brakes, right?

I've still got the single pot master cylinder on my Betsy and it makes me a little nervous every time I drive knowing I don't have one if something bad happened.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Oh and just cause I can't be the ONLY one who wonders:

What is a "Kimbridge stub"?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
You're driving WITHOUT one?! You know that they're also known as "emergency" brakes, right?

I've still got the single pot master cylinder on my Betsy and it makes me a little nervous every time I drive knowing I don't have one if something bad happened.
Before I bought my 58 truck from my father in law, he had me drive the truck up to the high desert (Victorville) and tow a trailer back for him, it was pretty heavy. After I bought the truck I tore into it to find a single pot mastercylinder. Some of you know how steep the hill is coming down from the summit on the 15 south. At that time I didnt know. I think he liked me back then.

I was able to keep the factory emergency brake arm in the truck and eventually am going to get a cable ran back for emergency brakes. Just need to find all the parts for the rear end.

My F.B. project page.

Last edited by fabguy; 06-22-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Coupeguy2001

There is a guy in sonomish WA that makes frame clips for these trucks. You cut off the frame an inch ahead of your rear spring perch, build up the entire front end on the bench, and then slide the new front end into the truck, and all told, welded up from factory stock to disc brakes, independent suspension and a roller in about 4 hours. The guy that builds them is Kimbridge.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Got a link? I did a Google search and couldn't come up with anything. How does the price compare with the major aftermarket ones?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Coupeguy2001

I might be able to locate all the emer. brake parts.
I bought a rear end for parts, and I think I have all that stuff in a box.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
....he had me drive the truck up to the high desert (Victorville) and tow a trailer back for him, it was pretty heavy. After I bought the truck I tore into it to find a single pot mastercylinder. Some of you know how steep the hill is coming down from the summit on the 15 south. At that time I didnt know. I think he liked me back then....
You only THOUGHT he liked you!

Cajon Pass? That's nice road if everything goes well but it's a killer if it doesn't. I almost lost my nephew & his then fiance there a few years back.

He was driving his brother's Dodge Ram pulling a pair of Jetski's. A woman drunk driver w/ several priors was speeding, cutting in & out of traffic and clipped his trailer at speed then sped off. A couple drivers saw it, followed her & forced her to stop. The trailer fishtailed and sent him THROUGH the center divider into oncoming traffic. No one hit him - a miracle you couldn't duplicate it in a million tries. Rolled the truck several times. They were air lifted out of there and they're totally fine today. You would NOT believe anyone could have lived if you'd seen the Dodge "After" pictures. Each of them got a large settlement out of her insurance company. She went to prison...finally.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
Coupeguy2001

The frame stub was $1300, I bought a G body front clip for $300, and then bought all the control arm bushings , tie rod ends, ball joints from Autozone I think for another $100.
Then you have to change the rear end so the lugs match. I used a 72 chevy truck rear, and it is 7 inches wider than yours. Then I had to have "flat" wheels, so I used 96 Impala SS wheels, and 255/50/17's all the way around.
Also, the 72 rear end was 5 on 5 lugs, so I had to get an adapter kit for the front end from Speedway in Nebraska for a dirt track racer G body because I insisted on using those wheels.

you don't have to do it my way, cause that was the expensive way after I saved all that money on the front end.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 06-23-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
Coupeguy2001

I ended up rebuilding the 72 rear end after buying another rear for parts for $50 and a $60 rebuild kit with pinion bearings, shims, carrier bearings and axle bearings.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Coupeguy2001

Well, it looks like the body shop is open at Kimbridge, but the fabrication shop isn't. Wonder if the guy died?