The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Steinerj56

fearing the worst and hoping for the best.

Need some help, kinda of a long story.

I rebuilt engine this winter. Lower end done and assembled by a good machine shop.
Purchased a chevy performance vortec head kit from jegs.com. came with heads, jegs aluminum intake, gaskets and misc parts.
All installed and drove for 300 miles no problems other then timing was only set by ear.
Decided to set properly with timing light. Got it set right. Test drove it 10 miles tops. ran good until I got home. backing into driveway found the truck running rough, white smoke everywhere.

Found the temp gauge at 3/4 instead of 1/2 like normal. The radiator was releasing coolant and I did not have a hose hooked up to the over flow/purge. coolant all over the passenger side exhaust. shut it down once I saw the gauge rising. checked again in 10 minutes and it was already below half way. sounded like fluid boiling though on the drivers side of engine.
Next day went out to it and battery was dead. Got battery replaced cause it was old. started and ran rough. found the distributor hold down had loosened up and the timing was way off. was going to reset but had white smoke from the driver side exhaust.
SHUT it down right away, like 10 seconds of run time. Decided to just double check I bought the right exhaust header gaskets at the collectors. Found fluid dripping from the left side exhaust only.
Pulled valve cover and found no signs of creamy oil, looked clean.
Assuming I need to pull intake, check/replace gaskets. Then probably pull head too. I don't see any fluid/wetness in the drivers side header though either.
Could it be just condensation?
Pretty sure I will pull it anyways and replace gaskets to be safe and inspect.
Steinerj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: fearing the worst and hoping for the best.

If the distributor was that loose, I'm surprised that the engine isn't seized due to lack of oiling. Loose distributor caused retarded timing, causing the overheating. You're lucky the crank ain't wiped...and worse.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
72 K20

The distributor would have to pop up out of the intake before you would lose oil pressure and if that was the case the distributor would stop turning and the engine would die. The engine was still running but running rough,,, the timing retarded from the loose hold down will run rough.

It sounds like you blew the left head gasket since that's where you found the wet header. It happens,,,, replace the head gasket or gaskets and run it.
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
HSRACER

Pull the left side plugs and see which one is discolored. You definately blew a head gasket. Good thing you caught it early. Good luck.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Rufton

I would torque head bolts to spec before pulling head to see if some bolts turn. Maybe that will help find/eliminate suspects.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 K20 View Post
The distributor would have to pop up out of the intake before you would lose oil pressure and if that was the case the distributor would stop turning and the engine would die. The engine was still running but running rough,,, the timing retarded from the loose hold down will run rough.

It sounds like you blew the left head gasket since that's where you found the wet header. It happens,,,, replace the head gasket or gaskets and run it.
Not necessarily. I've seen this very thing happen. Kid where I worked as a mechanic seized his engine that way. There is more gear height than the depth of the oil pump drive blade.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: fearing the worst and hoping for the best.

from the info you gave ,,,, WHITE SMOKE ,,,,, ANTIFREEZE IN EHAUST ,,,RUNNING ROUGH ,,,,
OK
mostly two ways this could happen
#1 blown headgasket
#2 cracked head or block
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

if the oil pump drive shaft pulled out and you lost oil pressure you would have bottom end trouble due to lack of oil that's not what is described he has antifreeze in the exhaust ,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Hawghauler

You're going to have to pull the intake first, check the gaskets for leaks or damage, and make sure all the holes are open in the gasket. If you see a mark where holes in the block and head are but it doesn't have one in the gasket, that is probably your problem. If all is well there, pull the head on that side. I have found people putting the head gasket on backwards, and I've found that sometimes the head gasket doesn't have all the holes needed for coolant flow. check the gasket, you should see any damage or leaks printed on the gasket.
Then you'll want to compare holes in the gasket to see if they match the head and block. Sometimes the heads or block may have blockage from lack of proper cleaning before rebuild, check this also. Hopefully it's the intake gasket and you're back on the road.
Good luck.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Tinkermc

A lot of work what ever you find.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote