The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
dropanddrag71

cleaning my carpet, pressure washing?

I want to remove my carpet and clean it while the seat is getting recovered.
Is the pressure good enuff at those do it yourself car washing places, or is high pressure
The only way?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
BlackedOut67shorty

Re: cleaning my carpet, pressure washing?

Is like to know too, I gotta crap load of engine oil on the driver side of my truck
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanddrag71 View Post
I want to remove my carpet and clean it while the seat is getting recovered.
Is the pressure good enuff at those do it yourself car washing places, or is high pressure
The only way?
i've done this before with a aftermarket nova carpet that i found in the jy it had great color(black)but it was pretty dirty not really greasy but alot of loose dirt that woulda taken forever to vacuum.

i took it to the generic car wash down the road an it came out pretty good.the tough part was trying too hose the crud down verticaly instead of layin it on the ground flat(it got god aweful heavy when fully soaked

) one thing i was truly surprized of is it only took about one full day out in the sun too dry out(jute backer an all) i'm guessing with a half the size truck carpet it should be easier.

oh an btw i would do it again anytime but if i did i would use my 2700psi washer(didnt have it at the time) instead of feeding quaters into the c.w every 3 min an actually take my time doing it

oh an b.o.67shorty if you wernt too buzy playin vidieo games all the time you would remember when i did this too the pontiac! geesh you say i got a bad memorey lol.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
DGulliver

I spray old carpet down with Gunk degreaser at home, take it to hang on the mat clips at the spray washer and have at it. It'll look new. Make sure it's full dry before you re-install.
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Castrol super clean.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
68c10airstream

Hi dropanddrag71, After raising kids and all of their mess and me and my wife's mess every spring i would remove the full carpet out of the minivan (big carpet). I would do it on a sunny day in the morning, take it to the car wash and blast it clean and return as soon as possible, and move it around on the warm tar driveway about every hour to a new warm spot and by evening the carpet was dry ready to go. I live up north and this would clean the salt stains etc, and it would look and smell like new. Good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Use a shop vac or air hose to clean the floors ot while the carpet is out.You can also speed the dry time a little if you use a wet/dry shop vac to pull some more of the water out right after you spray it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Here's a tip that usually doesn't come up, but I've done it and it works well.

Go down to Home Depot or Lowes and rent one of those home carpet cleaners for the day. They have more than enough suction to pull it all up. I didn't buy any of their cleaners. I buy bulk product from "Chemical Guys" and used some of their carpet cleaner. Also pre-treated with some power purple or whatever degreaser of the week I have on hand.

Run the machine up and down, then run it from side to side. If an area is still a little dark, hit it some more pre-treatment. We boiled water on the stove so it was super hot, then added to the machine and used it. Hot water really helps.

The thing is, you get it for a day, for about $30 bucks plus whatever cleaners you use. Plenty of time to do several vehicles, if you wanted. Some even rent hand held adapters that can be used for upholstery as well.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
Here's a tip that usually doesn't come up, but I've done it and it works well.

Go down to Home Depot or Lowes and rent one of those home carpet cleaners for the day. They have more than enough suction to pull it all up. I didn't buy any of their cleaners. I buy bulk product from "Chemical Guys" and used some of their carpet cleaner. Also pre-treated with some power purple or whatever degreaser of the week I have on hand.

Run the machine up and down, then run it from side to side. If an area is still a little dark, hit it some more pre-treatment. We boiled water on the stove so it was super hot, then added to the machine and used it. Hot water really helps.

The thing is, you get it for a day, for about $30 bucks plus whatever cleaners you use. Plenty of time to do several vehicles, if you wanted. Some even rent hand held adapters that can be used for upholstery as well.
I would go this route also instead of the pressure washer. It will be gentler on the upholstery.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
wild4wheels

^ better yet, just call your local carpet cleaner with a truckmount unit- tell him what you want to do-ask to meet him at one of his job sites. Flip him a $ 20 and ask to use his upholstery tool- much better cleaning than a "rug doctor" and will be a ton dryer when finished.
In regards to the pressure washing- I guess you could-we used to use that method on floor mats at the detail shop- got more dirt out-never tried a whole hunk of carpet but I would hang vertically if you can- make sure to use a fan tip and start with the soap-work it top bottom, right left, repeat. rinse-till water runs clear- then use a high powered shop vac and suck as much water out as you can- what ever method you do just make sure to dry completely as it can mildew real quick if not dried properly- lay it in the sun , flip it over and let the back dry etc. before reinstalling in the truck. Hope that helps.

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote