The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Jimbabwe

Re: Getting shafted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
That double cardin setup up front cost some money for sure. Does it have a shudder at takeoff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Brad, There is no noticeable shudder that I can discern.
I mentioned in an earlier message that Nate and Dave at Porterbuilt said 5 degrees would be ideal, but 6 was the only thing attainable...possibly due to the I6 rather than everyone's familiarity with achieving 5 degrees with a V8. Maybe I should have just built a tunnel instead, although I don't weld.
We'll have to see what the longevity is like with what I'm running.
I'm attaching the list I was given by the driveshaft guy.
I asked for a receipt with parts listed and a price breakdown explaining how this adds up to $1,000, and only received this list. He then said if I wanted to see prices I would have to get it from the "friend" who was installing the suspension, because "My business is with him, and his business is with me, not you. I built the shaft for him." I informed him that it was built for ME and I was the one who paid him. My so called "friend" then responded cowardly via text that HE would also not give me a receipt for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
Couldn't a shorty slammed be changed to a 1 piece shaft?
Tony, as Brad mentioned, I, and from what I've seen with a number of others with similarly dropped trucks, was going this route rather than building a tunnel in the cab to continue using a one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
That is beautifully extreme and extremely beautiful. Great stepper!
This is Dynamic Engineering. It is Fluid Dynamics actually. The stress points change as revolutions increase and decrease. Add the different material densities and properties, apply heat and don't forget bind, twist and friction. This becomes science in NHRA, INDY, NASCAR, DELMO etc. Not many study this, Brad Man does and genius ain't cheap.
Sorry you got...got but you gotta go to the best to get the best, looks like your truck deserves that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Reno, Thanks for the kind words. Yours is actually beautiful. I had followed your build. Mine's kinda' rough, but looks a bit cool with it's new lowering. I like how you slipped Delmo in as one of the science/engineering acronyms.

Where's HartRod? He wanted a bump for pics!
Attached Images

Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
hellbent72

Re: Getting shafted?

Drive shafts are pricey that's for sure just took mine down to get it built and all together its going to be 500 for my 2piece.
Shorten first shaft,3 new spicer u-joints , billet carrier bearing, slip joint and heavy duty yoke on 2 nd shaft and balanced. Didnt really want the billet bearing but the driveline shop said since I put in a slip joint the cheap carrier bearing doest hold up well with the movement/pressure of the slip joint moving back and forth.
Posted via Mobile Device
hellbent72 is offline   Reply With Quote