The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
av8tr33337

Safety inspection and registration

Has anybody had issues when getting thier trucks safety inspected in order to Register it?

Please share you experiences, good or bad.

I'll be checking the Kansas DMV to see what all it involves even though It will be quite a ways down the road. I have the 51 truck title and a bill of sale so I hope thats how I will be able to title it. But its actually made from parts of 3 vehicles.

Here is how they do it in Jersey

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Safety inspection and registration

I always have to wonder why guys wait until they get the truck together before thinking about getting the title changed or registering it.

First thing I would do is go on line to the Kansas dmv site and see what forms and other items you need.
See if it does require an inspection or if you can simply walk in with the old title and transfer it. What happens when you buy a later model running/driving vehicle from an individual? That should be some clue.

I'd suggest going to the highest license/title change office on the local food chain to do business unless you have a real good title clerk that you have done business with for years. I've run into people in local private (as apposed to govt office) licenses offices that didn't have a clue on how to do things that are out of the norm and then there are three offices within 40 minutes of where I am sitting that either know the answer to most issues or know who to call at the state office to get a straight answer.

Remember you are only interested in what it takes in your state of Kansas and not my state of WA or Oregon or Florida.

On inspection from the Kansas dept of Revenue website.
Does Kansas require a vehicle inspection to apply for title and/or renew registration?

The following are the circumstances when a motor vehicle examination will be required before making application for title:

Vehicle or trailer is titled on an out of state or another country’s title, regardless of age;
Vehicle or trailer was purchase out of state on a bill of sale, regardless of age;
1950 or newer antique auto or truck purchased in Kansas on a bill of sale;
Vehicle is titled as nonhighway for no liability insurance or as salvage due to any reason and the vehicle has been repaired or insurance obtained and the owner wishes to make application for a formerly nonhighway or rebuilt salvage title and registration;
Boat trailer with a gross operating weight of 2,001 pound or more that has never been titled in Kansas and the current owner is using a Vehicle/Motor Ownership Affidavit, form TR-90.

Motorized bicycle and a mobile or manufactured home are NOT required to be inspected. A vehicle or trailer along with the title or bill of sale must be taken to a Kansas inspection station and after the inspection, be issued an MVE-1 receipt. The pink copy of the MVE-1 is to be surrendered to the county treasurer’s motor vehicle office when you make application for title and registration. Please review the Kansas Highway Patrol's website to find the location and hours of operation of the inspection station in your county or area.

Kansas does not have a safety or emissions inspection requirement or program.

How do I make application for title for a vehicle or trailer that I just purchased or received as a gift?

The new owner of a vehicle or trailer (including ATV’s or work site utility vehicles) must make application for title and registration within 60 days of taking delivery of vehicle. The new owner(s) listed on the assignment as purchaser will need to take the assigned title, proof of insurance, and if purchased from a Kansas dealer, proof that sales tax was paid. If the vehicle or trailer was purchased from an individual or an out of state dealer proof of the purchase price will be required. This proof can be a bill of sale or the purchase price on the title assignment. For out of state dealers, a copy of the sales contract or agreement. If the vehicle is being given as a gift, an Affidavit of Fact, form TR-12, must be completed. If the assignment of title has the “purchase price” space in the assignment of title, write the word “gift” in this space. If the buyer and seller are related as child, parent, grandchild, or grandparent, an Affidavit of Relationship, form TR-215 can be completed and attached also. If the title was issued by another state, an MVE-1 inspection form must be obtained from the Kansas Highway Patrol or their designee. Take all of this paperwork to your local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office to make application for title and registration. If the owner wants to allow someone else to act on his or her behalf, a power of attorney will be required.

It looks to me that if you have a clear Kansas title that is all in order and you have proof of insurance you won't have a problem. I could be wrong but it looks pretty simple.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
av8tr33337

Re: Safety inspection and registration

Thanks Mr48chev.

I do have a title signed over to me and a bill of sale. This transaction took place about 15 years ago. I don't have the title in front of me, but I'm thinking it was last registered in the 70's or 80's. I know when I have had a vehicle that sat for a few years, they just had me sign an affidavit of non use and they didin't charge me back taxes or anything.

You sure did some quick homework! I guess I could run down to the title office (State run) and just ask them to nail it down.

Like always you are a wealth of information and went out of your way to find that info. I had glanced at DMV.ORG, but had not had the time tonight to get to it in depth.

I really appreciate it

Thanks

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote