The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
onequikss

Parallel Flow Condenser?

What parallel flow condenser are you guys using on your 73-87 LS swaps? Did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Parallel Flow Condenser?

I've seen very little on them aside from that they are becoming popular on retrofits just because of the increased efficiency with r134a that you didn't really need with r12.

There is a retrofit part that is a true parallel flow made for retrofits into 3rd gen camaro's etc....I want to say Visteon makes it?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Blackpony

I am running the factory original from 85 in my truck with the ls swap and an r4 compressor, a/c blows ice cold all the time.
Blackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpony View Post
I am running the factory original from 85 in my truck with the ls swap and an r4 compressor, a/c blows ice cold all the time.
This would require a careful set-up with electric fans pulling a substantial amount of air across the condenser, I would like to know more about your set-up?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'm assuming r410a? The stuff for commercial air-con?

I wouldn't think you could even fit a big enough coil in a car to make the stuff practical. I'd think you'd turn the a/c on and have a frozen coil by the end of the mile.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Blackpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
This would require a careful set-up with electric fans pulling a substantial amount of air across the condenser, I would like to know more about your set-up?
I have a single fan that I removed from a 2011+ mustang. It is wired up to kick on and off via the computer and to come on if the a/c is turned on. With a 160 stat in 100* weather and a/c blowing full blast it stays around 157-160 all the time. Sometimes if I get caught in heavy stop and go traffic it might creep to 170 ish but that is rare.

I see your in ft worth, you are welcome to come check out my setup if you would like. i am just east of denton near little elm
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Blackpony

Oh and I am running 134a freon. I vacuumed the system down, and filled via factory spec amount.

I do have one problem that is when the a/c is on, it blows more air from the feet vent then the dash vent. Guess I need to pull the glovebox out and see what is going on.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I misunderstood, I didn't realize you meant an R4-type of compressor, I thought you meant it ran an "r4" refrigerant which I took to mean r410a. I'm sure I just confused more people.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
onequikss

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to order a universal 14"x25" parallel flow condenser and various fittings to get it installed without cutting too much. I purchased a condenser for a 02 S10 Blazer but it will require a lot of work to get it to fit.

An easy fix would be to buy a 90-91 suburban condenser, but having done R12-134 conversions in the past they don't cool well in the blistering Florida heat and humidity. With all the windows in this K5 I will need all the help I can get.

I will take pictures and keep you all posted on how this works out.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpony View Post
I have a single fan that I removed from a 2011+ mustang. It is wired up to kick on and off via the computer and to come on if the a/c is turned on. With a 160 stat in 100* weather and a/c blowing full blast it stays around 157-160 all the time. Sometimes if I get caught in heavy stop and go traffic it might creep to 170 ish but that is rare.

I see your in ft worth, you are welcome to come check out my setup if you would like. i am just east of denton near little elm
As long as the fan is pulling enough air....Great.

You got the engine running too cold, For longevity 190-210 is "optimal" temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequikss View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to order a universal 14"x25" parallel flow condenser and various fittings to get it installed without cutting too much. I purchased a condenser for a 02 S10 Blazer but it will require a lot of work to get it to fit.

An easy fix would be to buy a 90-91 suburban condenser, but having done R12-134 conversions in the past they don't cool well in the blistering Florida heat and humidity. With all the windows in this K5 I will need all the help I can get.

I will take pictures and keep you all posted on how this works out.
Vintage Air has condenser kits for squares that fit really well.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Blackpony

Quote:

You got the engine running too cold, For longevity 190-210 is "optimal" temperature.

Yea that is a bit of a problem. I need to buy a warmer thermostat as with the a/c off the fan temps are set to operate around 185 and that it does and stays solid, but when i kick the fan on, I guess the radiator and fan does its job very well and keeps it cooler.. haha
Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
Blackpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I misunderstood, I didn't realize you meant an R4-type of compressor, I thought you meant it ran an "r4" refrigerant which I took to mean r410a. I'm sure I just confused more people.
oh haha i am wishing i would have went with a sanden compressor. With the a/c turned on, I lose about 5-6 mpg. You can tell a huge difference in power with and without the a/c turned on. I found out after the fact that the r4 compressor is a huge power robbing compressor... Oh well ill buy a sanden later and swap them out, but I have other things I want to address right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ya I'm familiar with using them and the York 209/10/11 for engine driven air compressors on off road rigs and bagged mini's. They move plenty of volume but when it kicks on it almost feels like a second power steering pulley with the amount of drag it puts on the system.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
onequikss

Quote:

Thanks, I ordered their condenser kit yesterday. Have you ever removed the accumulator and orifice tube to run an expansion valve and drier? Reason I ask is the kit comes with the drier that mounts with the condenser.