The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
2wdBlazer
The Blazer King

Steering Colum slop

I can move my wheel in & out about 2 inches. (telescoping) Any ideas on the problem here?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:42 AM   #2
'89Z71

I'm not too sure with your year truck but on the ones I've owned (newer style)the shaft is a two piece usually held together by a bolt or a plastic type rivet. Mine seperates about 6 inches after the firewall(in the engine bay area) with the removal of a bolt. I had to remove that bolt and put an extension in when I installed my body lift. My thought is that you could of lost a bolt connecting the two shafts and thats allowing the two pieces to telescope.
Like I said tho, I'm not sure on this and I could very well be wrong. I hope this helps

*** LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES ***
My Truck
'89Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
charlieo

slop

I just installed my steering column on my 69 and threr are two brackets that hold it up and in place the first one is just outside the firewall . There is a bracket bolted to the firewall and a round bracket goes around the bracket and the column . the second one is under another bracket inside the cab under the column between your legs if your sitting at nthe drivers seat . You have to remove the flat bracket to get to the half round bracket that holds the column up. If you loosten both brackets and then grab the outside of the column and pull towards the steering wheel that slack will be taken up . I hope I explained this well enough !
charlieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #4
6869704X4

Are you talking about the whole column or just the inner shaft that the steering wheel is bolted to?
As far as what charlieo is talking about, that would be the whole column moving. There should be a rectangular hole cut in your column that fits over a tit on the dash mounting surface. Thats under the half-round bracket that he's talking about.
If its the inner shaft' then post up and we will try to help. There are ball bearings on each end of that shaft. You might not have any balls left.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
2wdBlazer
The Blazer King

It is the inner shaft. Pulling the steering wheel will make it move. The column does not move.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:19 AM   #6
kwmech

The bottom of the column, in the engine compartment where the intermediate shaft hooks up, there should be a large flat washer and a spring that loads the upper column bearing. The washer is held to the shaft by the intermediate shaft and the thru bolt. Does that make sense?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote