The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
towersddg9

Door weatherstrip ?

Door won't close 100% on the new weatherstrip I installed, its close anyone had this problem, think I've read here that its a tight fit and takes some time to break in

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Door weatherstrip ?

If it fits the first time, then your doors are too loose haha.

If you've got them glued in already; give the door a little extra "help" to close. I used some pads and long carpenter clamps to help keep even pressure on the door, this isn't 100% needed, but helps since the door itself doesn't "crush" the same amount all the way around.

Then park it in the sun for a day or two, then come back and try it again. The rubber needs to break down a bit. You might find that after a few days in the sun and a few more good closings, it will fit down pretty well. You might also need to adjust your doors after they break in because they will usually fit differently after the break in period. I have a few pics in my build of how it went.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
AcampoDave

I used a piece of paper as a "feeler guage" by closing it at various points around the door. This revealed that the leading edge of my door was adjusted very tight and the paper wanted to tear when I tried to pull it out. Conversely the rearward edge was adjusted quite loose with little to no friction upon pulling the paper out. The paper told the story, the leading edge was banging in first and preventing the trailing edge from latching tightly. I adjusted it and the was problem solved.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-15-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
towersddg9

Thanks for the info
towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Vernski

I couldn't close my doors, and no amount of slamming, adjusting the hinges and latch plate helped they just would not close. What was wrong? The oriental door seal was to thick so I bought one here. www.steelerubberpoducts.com That solved the problem cause they are made in the USA..vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
geezer#99

Use a hair dryer to heat it up and then open/close the door a few times to shape it.
But remember!!
Don't let the wife catch you using her hair dryer!! LOL!!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
K98AL

I ordered the Steele seals, and they came with a "soft" strip that is supposed to glue to each door, as well as the "firm" rubber that goes around cab. I've never seen the rubber around the door before, I guess all my old trucks had shed it before I got 'em. Plan on installing this week. Any tips about the door "soft" rubber?
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by K98AL View Post
I ordered the Steele seals, and they came with a "soft" strip that is supposed to glue to each door, as well as the "firm" rubber that goes around cab. I've never seen the rubber around the door before, I guess all my old trucks had shed it before I got 'em. Plan on installing this week. Any tips about the door "soft" rubber?
I'm not sure what you are describing, the lip that fit's over the flange on the truck I guess, but you have to glue that on to the lip around the door edge. start at the top and work your way down make sure you have enough seal at the bottom before you cut it and tuck it under the door sills. You can use c-clamps or pinch clamps while waiting for the adhesive to set up. I used the amber colored stuff instead of the black be careful not to get it on the paint except on the lip..Vernski
Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
ky-donzi

What year is your truck? I believe that for whatever reason the 60-61 has an. Additional seal around the dog leg.
Posted via Mobile Device

73 k5 gm crate 350-265 / sm465 / np205 3.73 posi
ky-donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-donzi View Post
What year is your truck? I believe that for whatever reason the 60-61 has an. Additional seal around the dog leg.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine is a 65 so it's not the same application but I've heard of the problems with the 60-63 knee knockers..Vernski
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
K98AL

Mine's a '62.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Vernski

Quote:
Mine's a '62.
Yours was included 60-63..vernski
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
K98AL

I get it. It just looks like it doesn't have anything other than a flat surface to adhere to. I guess it just goes around the top of the door and around the dog leg, just seems weird that there's not a notch or something.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
K98AL

Got the weatherstripping installed over the weekend. THANK YOU for recommending Steele Rubber products! Everything fits right, the foam strips on the doors killed all wind noise!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Vernski

Quote:
Got the weatherstripping installed over the weekend. THANK YOU for recommending Steele Rubber products! Everything fits right, the foam strips on the doors killed all wind noise!
Glad they worked out for you, they sure solved any door fitment problems I had, and they are made in our country..Vernski