The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
DT1

Another Under Hood Insulation Question

I know this question has been asked before but after searching this and many other forums, I still can't find the answer I'm looking for.
I would like to insulate the underside of my hood and I'm looking for pictures and ideas of how others have done it. After looking all over the Web I've found that there are no pre-cut kits out there for these trucks so I'll have to custom make up something. How did you guys do yours? What kind of insulation did you use? Did you use some kind of fastening system or adhesive? Did you use an edge sealer or some sort of trim? I really want to make mine look and fit good. Please post Pics. I'm sure there are going to be some good examples right here on this forum.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Another Under Hood Insulation Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
I know this question has been asked before but after searching this and many other forums, I still can't find the answer I'm looking for.
I would like to insulate the underside of my hood and I'm looking for pictures and ideas of how others have done it. After looking all over the Web I've found that there are no pre-cut kits out there for these trucks so I'll have to custom make up something. How did you guys do yours? What kind of insulation did you use? Did you use some kind of fastening system or adhesive? Did you use an edge sealer or some sort of trim? I really want to make mine look and fit good. Please post Pics. I'm sure there are going to be some good examples right here on this forum.
What's your end goal? Is it as simple as wanting to cut down on engine noise, or are you trying to have a certain look? If you're wanting to cut down on noise, you may experiment with a new firewall pad and floor pan noise deadening.

Also, I've never seen anybody do this, but it might be worth a shot. What about a spray on bed liner under the hood, like Rhino or LineX? Seems like it might have some noise deadening properties, and where it is meant to withstand the hot sun that hits an open truck bed, it should hold up. Then again, I don't know if it's fire resistant, etc. so you'd need to do some homework
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
MidLifer

Mister-B is right about cutting down cab noise, you can do that with the firewall and floor pan. If you want to reduce vibration in your hood, which also contributes to cab noise, try Fatmat, Raammat or similar. You don't need to cover 100% of the sheet metal for it to have its intended effect - see www.sounddeadenershowdown.com for info on that, but if you want it to look cool, you'll probably want to cover all the exposed areas.

I did mine with Raammat, and have had zero problems with heat and adhesive separation.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
DT1

I'd like to cut down on the "Tinny" sound when shutting and the slight wobbling when driving (Yes, my tires are balanced). The engine noise isn't really a factor.
The underside is now painted the same color as the truck and I think a nice charcoal color liner would look cleaner if done right. I'm not too keen on the silver/aluminum Dynamat look.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
SactoJim

Here's mine.....been on for more than 5 years and made a big difference in the way hood sounds when you close it, not to mention engine noise.

Just single foil sided insulation.

I used large paper to cut pattern and it's in 2 pieces with seam under one of the cross braces. Just used 3m underhood insulation spray adhesive. I used some high quality HVAC stack tape at perimeter and also formed a piece of aluminum strap that runs down the middle to keep it in the hood ridge. I didn't like how shiny it was, so I took a scuff pad to it to dull it down.....looks good to me.
Attached Images

- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote