The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
grancuda

Re: Very Cool EBay Truck! Not mine

I would be scared to pay that much & if someone hit it you could never match it & it would need a total resto because the patina thing would be done/not match. The $15,000 would be wasted.

A few years back I had a '69 Dart that was an all original paint car & did the drive train w/425hp Mopar Perf crate. Had a deer jump out one morning & the whole patina thing was jacked. I won't invest much in nice/patina paint again.
Posted via Mobile Device
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcrz1972 View Post
I wish I could figure it out, why such a vehicle with a bunch of over the counter bolt on items, on a so vanilla plain a vehicle will end up commanding such a price.

But a truck that has been built up to be a very nice driver with ps, pb, factory a/c nice engine/tranny, good paint job, all the typical issues corrected etc. will get tire kickers all the time. But no reasonable offers. And the payoff doesn't even get close for all the time, effort and money spent on it.

Anyone have an idea?

Is it the so called untouched truck (WHAT) this thing has had a bunch done to it, and it just bolt on stuff.

Please enlighten me!!!!
I guess I don't know what you're talking about. Just because people are now willing to pay good money for a truck like this doesn't mean no one will pay for one as you describe. I see really nicely restored trucks get sold for asking price all the time. They still command good money. I see people sell them for far more than trucks like this one and I see them get just what they are asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post
I would be scared to pay that much & if someone hit it you could never match it & it would need a total resto because the patina thing would be done/not match. The $15,000 would be wasted.

A few years back I had a '69 Dart that was an all original paint car & did the drive train w/425hp Mopar Perf crate. Had a deer jump out one morning & the whole patina thing was jacked. I won't invest much in nice/patina paint again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is patina any harder to match than anything else? If I bought this truck it would certainly be for it having original paint,either still in excellent condition or well worn as this one. If someone hit me in this,a one with great paint, a repaint, or a custom job it would be a bummer. The latter paint jobs would be redone and my classic car insurance would pay for an overall if matching was in question. If it had original patina it would be the end of that because I think fake patina is stupid. The beauty in this truck is you see what you get and after the damage was repaired I'd still know what I have. I like this green in new condition. This truck is more than a paint job to me. It could go back shiny,Hot rod Flatz has this green in dull,could use single stage that wouldn't hold up long,or have a Woodland Green Stepside to wax. Since you can go out and buy about any Chinese part for these trucks needed,I put a value on one that has yet to do that. This truck has "lasted" in mostly original form and that holds a much higher value to some than a truck that had a truckload of cardboard boxes filled with Chinese parts thrown at it and who knows what rust or damage repaired under that shiny paint. We have two threads running right now on vehicles with fresh shiny paint with tiny bubbles showing their evil heads. When they fix those areas they will have trouble matching the paint they paid good money for and never had an accident.

It comes down to this,guys. Either you like a truck like this or you don't. Just because you like computer-controlled,hauling stuff in a longbed,shiny high-optioned trucks,or whatever,doesn't make this truck worth less money. There are so many ways to go on this trucks,now as well as when they were new. You go your way and I'll go mine.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #28
c10seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Nice pictures. Nice truck. Hard to believe the mileage claim. Someone will believe him. I like everything about this truck
This ^
c10seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #29
CC69Rat

Its all about the 'look' .. buy an original paint swb and put a drop on it, set of wheels etc and it changes the appeal and IMO broadens the audience and/potential buyers.

Flipping these trucks (like I have been known to do) you have to be careful about building your way 'too far' into it. If you put $60k in the build its much harder to find a potential buyer.. and usually you have to take a loss to sell it. Stay under the 20k mark and it keeps them more within the reach of the common man.
Posted via Mobile Device

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #30
grancuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Is patina any harder to match than anything else? .....
Yes, it is impossible & the whole truck would have to be repainted. You get someone with the skills to make a fender or door look old to match it & in 2 -3 years it won't match at all. A new paint job is easy to match.

Right now I have 2 original paint classics, a '72 C10 SNB & '69 Dart, neither could the paint be replicated the patina in the event of an accident. Also, I didn't pay stupid money for mine, less than $4k for each. Therefore if something were to happen it wouldn't be that big of deal, just be the time for a resto on the body.

Long story short, $15k is way too much for a $3,500 truck with air bags & less than $2k worth of stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Yes, it is impossible & the whole truck would have to be repainted. You get someone with the skills to make a fender or door look old to match it & in 2 -3 years it won't match at all. A new paint job is easy to match.

Right now I have 2 original paint classics, a '72 C10 SNB & '69 Dart, neither could the paint be replicated the patina in the event of an accident. Also, I didn't pay stupid money for mine, less than $4k for each. Therefore if something were to happen it wouldn't be that big of deal, just be the time for a resto on the body.

Long story short, $15k is way too much for a $3,500 truck with air bags & less than $2k worth of stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apparently it is worth it since that is what it sold for. It just isn't worth it to you personally.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 07-19-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
CC69Rat

Cmon guys.. bottom line there is a butt for every seat. We all have opinions and I respect them all. Just saying it was a 15k truck (to me). I'm tell in ya.. its all about the stance and that truck just had it. Props to whoever built it, regardless of what they paid or had in it.

And if you find another 3500 truck like that let me know..
Posted via Mobile Device

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #33
BB72CHEVKT

Not trying to stir anything up. I went thru this when I sold my first house and the bank would not loan as much as I had people willing to pay because the home was not worth my asking price according to them. I always thought that something is worth what someone is willing to pay. That's all.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 07-19-2013 at 05:41 PM.
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
Justin36

Well! I have been talking to the owner and the deal fell through, the man who was looking to buy was buying for his young son and the son didn't like the column shift, So it should be going to get relisted.. I don't care how much it's worth lol I made and new friend and contact,

And same here if one like that pops up again for 3500 stock call me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #35
grancuda

Next $3,500 clean SWB I come across will be for my son. After that I can keep you guys posted.

Here is in the one I found a little over a year ago.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

I'm sorry,but what a spoiled brat. Daddy is willing to buy a cool truck for junior but he doesn't like the shifter??? Jeez! Crawl up and under that thing and change it around to how you like it!!! What the heck is wrong with people? Obviously,that boy has had far too much handed him already and it's high time he starts learning how to earn what he wants. Coddling is poor parenting. Daddy should have made him take it anyway and live with it or learn to change it. By this action the seller gets screwed out of a deal and possibly others who were willing to buy it. What a way to teach your kid how dealings work. Screw the rest,just think of yourself. Yay dad!

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not into proving people wrong,but I sure could easily do that right here with pictures if I was. I've been around and I know what I know and that's all that matters to me. Nothing to prove to the world here. I'll just say that I have owned,have friends own/owned,seen other members,and known of many others who have had vehicles with bad old paint (patina) and have replaced panels,changed beds,repaired damage and managed to do an excellent job of hiding it. I've also seen plenty of recent paint jobs requiring a panel match (by highly experienced painters) and it stuck out like a sore thumb...especially metallics. There are ways to create patina naturally,it just takes a little time and patience. I guess you just haven't seen what I have. There's always something new to learn,at least that's my philosophy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
BB72CHEVKT

[QUOTE=special-K;6181615]I'm sorry,but what a spoiled brat. Daddy is willing to buy a cool truck for junior but he doesn't like the shifter??? Jeez! Crawl up and under that thing and change it around to how you like it!!! What the heck is wrong with people? Obviously,that boy has had far too much handed him already and it's high time he starts learning how to earn what he wants. Coddling is poor parenting. Daddy should have made him take it anyway and live with it or learn to change it. By this action the seller gets screwed out of a deal and possibly others who were willing to buy it. What a way to teach your kid how dealings work. Screw the rest,just think of yourself. Yay dad!

yep
Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #38
VA72C10
VA72C10

I bet there could be more to this story...either

1) buyer's remorse (got caught up in the auction)

2) seller had a buddy bidding it up and got caught as the last bid

or 3) the buyer doesn't know anything about vehicles and doesn't realize how easy the swap would be.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #39
special-K
Special Order

The fact is,he bought it. Entering into a bidding situation is entering into a binding contract. A man stands by his word or he is no man at all. The catch phrase many in this world could use practice with is "Think First". And,"taking responsibility for our actions" could use a bit of work,too. I've had some serious buyers remorse before...quite a few times. But,I've always stood by my commitment no matter what. Even if I had to struggle to make ends meet for a while after. That's just not the seller's problem. He didn't make me buy anything.

Tim

Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #40
VA72C10
VA72C10

Totally agree with you...it's a contract you enter in when buying on ebay. Wasn't giving the guy an excuse...just saying what I thought might be going on (might be all on the seller and there never was a buyer at the price listed) I've seen that happen many times before....truck keeps getting relisted and it keeps saying the seller backed out...

I can't remember if this was a reserve price auction but if not, I've also seen where this is done to get it up to reserve and hoping someone will bid one price over their friends bid...if not, they simply cancel the deal and relist...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,this is why I never have done phone-in auctions,any type of absentee auctions,and now E-bay,for a vehicle or anything of such a value. If I can't see and hear the person bidding against me,how do I know what's what?

Tim

Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #42
grancuda

This auction didn't have a buy it now. The price of $15k is hearsay. The seller ended auction early with "item no longer available" as the reason. So the seller used eBay as a means of advertising, thought he was selling it not via ebay and therefore could avoid paying the fees associated. The seller was also in a contract with eBay which he was getting out of too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #43
50mercfan

i'll call BS on the milage. but, it's a cool truck. thats a 70 chevelle ss steering wheel. a repop at that. you can buy it at an swap meet for $150.
50mercfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #44
BionicABs1

The $15,500 price was what the seller quoted me.
Posted via Mobile Device
BionicABs1 is offline   Reply With Quote