The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
apatz

trying find info please help

This is sort of a double post but im not getting any response in the drive train section. I am wanting to set my truck up for autocross and still be able to drive to some shows. I need some suggestion on possible setups for engine, trans and suspension. At the last auto cross event i went to i saw the truck guys had ride tech stickers posted all over them. so is air ride better than static for autocross?

Also if anybody knows of some threads of builds or info involving autocross let me know thanks.
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
cericd

Re: trying find info please help

You will find (almost) too much information in this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
apatz

thanks i have been reading that thread but its mainly suspension need some info on engine and trans. i was thinking 383 with auto but now im leaning more toward a ls with a six speed
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
mmiddle

I would certainly go with an aluminum block LS and move it back as far as posible to help balance the truck. As far as the suspension... I don't think I would bag it. You never see cars bagged for racing. Bags are for ride quality and adjustable stance.
Most use a manual trans because you select the gear you want when you want it. An automatic you can't do that.

Personally I think our trucks have the best rear suspension ever made. Long swing arms transmitt the axle torque wrap to mid-frame. I would box-in the swing-arms, add a 9" w/ discs, a sway bar and adjustable coil-overs.

The front needs to be replaced... Maybe a complete set-up from a new Camaro or Vette with adjustable coil overs and sway bar.

A stock frame is going to work against everything you do. The frame will have to be strengthened to eleminate twist natural to a truck.

You are never going to get this thing to hang with a Z06 or a Cobra, but...

I look forward to following your progress if you go this way. make sure to start a build thread.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
apatz

Thanks for the info. You have a valid point on the suspension I was just curious to try to find out what the pros are using their sponsored by ride tech
Posted via Mobile Device