The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
focusedontheprize

I am done with this NV3500!

The positives was this was a great weekend. The car show was a blast and a bunch of people were loving that 292 inliner in the truck. I had a great time.

Unfortunately this transmission has been giving me nothing, but headaches. I have a '92 Chevy K1500 NV3500 tranny in it. It was more that it was a bargain (foolish on my part) and I would be doing a little towing with it. When I first put it in, I noticed there was quiet a bit of slop in it. I have never driven a NV3500, so I didn't know if that was usual. However, once I started wheeling around I noticed it didn't have 5th and reverse. Now I no longer have 2nd gear.

So out it is coming. The transmission is a very complex design and I have no interest in rebuilding it. To be honest, I am not too bothered by it ($50 gamble I took) and I drove my buddy's '52 that has a T5 in it and I decided I want mine to drive more like a car trans then a truck so all good.

After doing some research I am looking for a '89-'92 Chevy T5 WC edition. I like the higher rating on the torque (safe side) and the gearing. However my only question is towing capability. I am not towing a car behind it, but plan on towing a small trailer (something like this is the biggest I would go), but I would like double check if it could handle it.

Setup:
Chevy 292 (stock build) and 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears.

Transmission I am looking for:
'89-'92 V8 T5: 1st - 2.95 2nd - 1.94 3rd - 1.34 4th - 1.00 5th 0.73 or 0.63

Any ideas or experience in this?
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Coach529

Re: I am done with this NV3500!

Subscribed

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
mknittle

I have been looking at the t-5 for a while now.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/t5tranny.htm

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...classic_truck/

http://www.flatheadv8.org/t5-swap.htm

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=169265

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480437

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
mknittle

Camaro with S10 tail housing and lid will be the same. length and shifter position.
Attached Images

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
mr48chev

I'm pondering the same thing except I didn't spring for a so so NV3500 although I've given that trans a bunch of thought.

I'm thinking that the shift handle on a Camaro trans is going to be back against the seat in almost the same location that the shifter has been in in my 48 since 1973 so that wouldn't be an issue for me. Worse case a guy might have to notch a bench seat ala mini truck for shifter clearance. The Hot rod guys (myself included) tend to like the S-10 shift handle as it puts the shifter up pretty close to where the stock shifters were in older floor shifted cars and trucks.

I've got almost the same setup with a 292, 3.73 Posi and nee ding an overdrive but want to be able to tow a small trailer which in my case would be a tear drop camp trailer. The trailer will probably end up being a luggage and stuff trailer when my wife goes with me as she has already said she doesn't plan on sleeping in a tiny little box.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
BLUE49

I'm running a 250 cu. in w/ Holley 4 bbl 390 carb, 390 rear end and a WC T5. Love it. The only thing I regret is using a small clutch due to the fine splines on the tranny. It tends to smoke a little when starting out on a steep hill. Jim Carter has an 11" clutch set up for this combo. I've purchased one but haven't installed it yet. One of the things you have to watch is to make sure the "nose" on the clutch plate doesn't have interference. The Carter clutch is supposed to fix this problem.
Lots of luck.
BLUE49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE49 View Post
I'm running a 250 cu. in w/ Holley 4 bbl 390 carb, 390 rear end and a WC T5. Love it. The only thing I regret is using a small clutch due to the fine splines on the tranny. It tends to smoke a little when starting out on a steep hill. Jim Carter has an 11" clutch set up for this combo. I've purchased one but haven't installed it yet. One of the things you have to watch is to make sure the "nose" on the clutch plate doesn't have interference. The Carter clutch is supposed to fix this problem.
Lots of luck.
Thanks for the info. Do you know what your WC is out of or the ratios?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
BLUE49

I don't know what its out of. I bought it from a rebuild shop here in Sacramento. I know they had to exchange tail shafts to make the shifter fall in the forward position. There was no charge for that as apparently that is a simple thing. As you can tell I'm no tranny guy. Sorry.
BLUE49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm pondering the same thing except I didn't spring for a so so NV3500 although I've given that trans a bunch of thought.

I'm thinking that the shift handle on a Camaro trans is going to be back against the seat in almost the same location that the shifter has been in in my 48 since 1973 so that wouldn't be an issue for me. Worse case a guy might have to notch a bench seat ala mini truck for shifter clearance. The Hot rod guys (myself included) tend to like the S-10 shift handle as it puts the shifter up pretty close to where the stock shifters were in older floor shifted cars and trucks.

I've got almost the same setup with a 292, 3.73 Posi and nee ding an overdrive but want to be able to tow a small trailer which in my case would be a tear drop camp trailer. The trailer will probably end up being a luggage and stuff trailer when my wife goes with me as she has already said she doesn't plan on sleeping in a tiny little box.
From what I have been reading the key is the tailshaft location for the shifter. Ideally I would like to do a Camaro transmission and then use a S10 tailshaft to put the shifter back in the stock location.

See what else I get from this research.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE49 View Post
I don't know what its out of. I bought it from a rebuild shop here in Sacramento. I know they had to exchange tail shafts to make the shifter fall in the forward position. There was no charge for that as apparently that is a simple thing. As you can tell I'm no tranny guy. Sorry.
No need to apologize, thanks for all the info.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
mechanixman

I traded an extra block I had laying around for an s10 trans. I've been mocking it up in my frame, and I hate to say it,but it looks like the stock shifting location is a pipe dream.

I thought I could make it work.
I'm using a short shaft water pump, and an alternator as the only accessory just to make sure I could slide the motor (a 327) forward enough for the T5 to fit in the stock shifting location. but with the size of the harmonic balancer, and the crankshaft pulley, the T5 will still be a 2-3 inches behind where it was originally.

I can't imagine what it would be like to make it work with the straight 6.
(I'm sure to many, it's not a big deal to cut up that panel, and just relocate the hole back a few inches. But I really want to keep the floor original)

Just my 2 cents,

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
I traded an extra block I had laying around for an s10 trans. I've been mocking it up in my frame, and I hate to say it,but it looks like the stock shifting location is a pipe dream.

I thought I could make it work.
I'm using a short shaft water pump, and an alternator as the only accessory just to make sure I could slide the motor (a 327) forward enough for the T5 to fit in the stock shifting location. but with the size of the harmonic balancer, and the crankshaft pulley, the T5 will still be a 2-3 inches behind where it was originally.

I can't imagine what it would be like to make it work with the straight 6.
(I'm sure to many, it's not a big deal to cut up that panel, and just relocate the hole back a few inches. But I really want to keep the floor original)

Just my 2 cents,

Hm..my buddy who has the '52 also has a 327 in his with a T5. Camaro transmission with a S10 tail shaft. Comes right through the floor where the stock shifter is.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
mechanixman

Huh.
Well I guess I have some work to do!

To be honest, I think I can get a thinner crank pulley (maybe even balancer). Because it really is only like 2 inches difference.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page

Last edited by mechanixman; 07-23-2013 at 04:48 PM.
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote