The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
jmcleek

Large size Wrenches for ac and Quick couplers

Becca here, jmcleek's kid. Maybe you know the some of the answers to my questions. I would like to know what sizes wrenches to get for ac units in vehicles of all types. I'm going to Ivy Tech to get my degree in Automotive Technology and am learning on all sorts of vehicles. I would also like to know what size wrenches to use for fan clutches and all the other sizes for the big nuts on the vehicles because I hear from my Dad that they are a little more universal than the stamped ones that are regularly used for fan cluches. One more thing, what kind of quick-couple tools can I get for the ac and heater units and other systems on vehicles that are more complete?
jmcleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: Large size Wrenches for ac and Quick couplers

Hi Becca! Though I don't know the answers to your questions, I'd
like to congratulate you on your choice of trades...the field's entering
a whole new era that's sure to be exciting as it evolves.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
jmcleek

Becca has just turned 20, and has fineshed her first year at Ivy Tech, and is taking a summer ac class and working full time night summer job. A member on a differn bord said that a 12 inch adjustable wrench would work good for the ac hose fittings, so I gave her the one that belonged to dad , that has been gone sense 78.
For the desconects they menchened some plastic ones from Lisle.
http://www.lislecorp.com/
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...=1&category=28
I plain on getting the plier that go with them, http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...=1&category=28
as for fan cluch these pnumatic one that you use a air hammer ,http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...=1&category=23
kind of priesy for a collage kid, but nice tool, if you check out the links ,check the vids to they work nice in the vids. and tell me what you think.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
cableguy0

Fan clutch wrenches are thin because a regular wrench wont fit on most vehicles. You will need both fan clutch wrenches and regular large wrenches. I personally would get the fan clutch specific wrenches first because the need for large regular wrenches is very small in auto repair. Adjustable wrenches work perfectly fine for ac fittings. The wider jaws tend to prevent from stripping the aluminum fittings. As for the quick disconnect you will need both the universal aluminum fuel/trans disconnect tools as well as the plastic ones for a/c line. To try and buy everything needed at once to repair everything on a car is impossible. Those pliers will be almost useless in most places that the disconnects are there simply isn't enough room to get that big pair of pliers in there. I have never tried the pneumatic fan clutch wrenches and always do them by hand. Some of the fan clutches are damn tight though and Im not a little guy.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
clinebarger

The soft white plastic disconnect tools work great for fuel lines, They do not work well, Or flat don't work on A/C lines, They are too flexible. These work well, http://www.otctools.com/newcatalog/p.../6517_2328.jpg, http://www.otctools.com/products/disconnect_tool_set.

For A/C fitting wrenches.....4-angle thin wrenches are the most versatile http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/...le-Wrench-Set#

If you think that's expensive, Price out a Snap-on set that's thicker & doesn't work as well.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
jmcleek

Hey, Becca again. Thank you for your suggestions and I think I know where the place that sells OTC tools is at. The reason that my Dad suggested the pliers is because even though I have man hands, I don't have man strength. Which metal set of quick couplers do you think would work best for a poor student? I have two adjustable wrenches for now till I can afford somthing better, but it is just not the same.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I think keeping an eye out for new-condition used tools might be a good thing to do. As mentioned in another recent thread, talk to the
tool vendors (Mac, Snap-on, etc) for sets that have been turned in. And definitely keep a watch on Craigslist, eBay and the like; many
folks buy high-end tools just to find that they need to free up the cash that they've invested.

Truck FAQ

Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

I have Snap-On, Mac, Matco, & Craftsman tools in my roll-around(s). So when I was performing fleet maintenance (2ND job) for one of the large nursery growers of his equipment It was tuff for me, but I broke down and bought a set of short handle service wrenches from Harbor Freight (one of few times) for use on large Hydraulic fittings/couplings-same for AC. I must say I was impressed how well they fit/ held-up.

TIP:
1. As for technical schools/training if my memory serves me correctly most instructors will supply students with a list of recommended tools you’ll need to start out with.
2. If you explain to most tool route sales personal that you are in tech school a lot of the big names will offer discounts for students, check/talk with your school to see who they coming through their doors.

Keep up the hard work &
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyclack View Post
I have Snap-On, Mac, Matco, & Craftsman tools in my roll-around(s). So when I was performing fleet maintenance (2ND job) for one of the large nursery growers of his equipment It was tuff for me, but I broke down and bought a set of short handle service wrenches from Harbor Freight (one of few times) for use on large Hydraulic fittings/couplings-same for AC. I must say I was impressed how well they fit/ held-up.

TIP:
1. As for technical schools/training if my memory serves me correctly most instructors will supply students with a list of recommended tools you’ll need to start out with.
2. If you explain to most tool route sales personal that you are in tech school a lot of the big names will offer discounts for students, check/talk with your school to see who they coming through their doors.

Keep up the hard work &
Good point Johnny! When I was in tech school, we got a great discount at one of the local machinist tool suppliers...saved me a bundle.
Checking for a company ready to sponsor you're tools might also be a good idea.

Truck FAQ

Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
jmcleek

Last year when Becca started school We went to a few local pawn shops and picked upthe basic ratchet sets ( Craftmans) 1/4' 3/8 ' 1/2',with most of the sae/ metric that are comonly used, along with a 3/8 air ratchet(mac) and inpact. I gave her my 1/2' inpact that I wasn't useing and picked up a 4 drawer tool cart and some scew drver set ,pry bars and hammers and basic wrenches from harber freight. All for under $800.00. Sence then She has been picking up a few tools a week as needed and learning which ones to get like the perfetional grade craftsman line wrench set sae/meteric /well worth the price(not springy like the cheap ones) ,traded in the tool cart for a 7 draw Craftsman bottom box (ran out of room in cart) and almost has this one full. She is just starting to look at larger size wrenches and specalty tools. The goal being to get a good veriety of tools on a afordable buget for school and spend the money where needed. Recently the school offerd her a unsoliceded job as a tec( person that takes care of ,and check out school loner tools and take care of the shop).

John
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcleek View Post
Last year when Becca started school We went to a few local pawn shops and picked upthe basic ratchet sets ( Craftmans) 1/4' 3/8 ' 1/2',with most of the sae/ metric that are comonly used, along with a 3/8 air ratchet(mac) and inpact. I gave her my 1/2' inpact that I wasn't useing and picked up a 4 drawer tool cart and some scew drver set ,pry bars and hammers and basic wrenches from harber freight. All for under $800.00. Sence then She has been picking up a few tools a week as needed and learning which ones to get like the perfetional grade craftsman line wrench set sae/meteric /well worth the price(not springy like the cheap ones) ,traded in the tool cart for a 7 draw Craftsman bottom box (ran out of room in cart) and almost has this one full. She is just starting to look at larger size wrenches and specalty tools. The goal being to get a good veriety of tools on a afordable buget for school and spend the money where needed. Recently the school offerd her a unsoliceded job as a tec( person that takes care of ,and check out school loner tools and take care of the shop).

John
Can’t beat hawk shops for used tools, the rule of thumb I always went/go by “Never pay more than 50% of cost for same tool new” and you’ll do OK.

You cannot beat Craftsman tools,,,, with their lifetime guarantee. Some of Craftsman tools are to the point when they fail I take to the local store for exchange and find out they have been discontinued. Sears exchanges the closest matching tool they have. I am finding the quality may not be the same as my original, but hey I am getting to the point where they will still last a life time (the rest of my life time,,,, )

If I recall correctly Sears Industrial gave the biggest trainee discounts.
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Thought id chime in on this, I myself went to wyotech. I went in with a good amount of experience and came out knowing a lot more. I have been working in the field for about 4.5 years now. The industry can be very tough at times, with warranty work and all. But there is always money to be made. One thing that will help you earn that money is your tools and quality of them, at first I had craftsman sockets and they were constantly braking so I started buying Mac Tools. Now my box is full of Mac, Matco, Snap On, and Cornwell. One a/c tool I haven't seen recommended is the one to remove Schrader valves, they leak often. You will also find on most newer cars a/c lines are hardly attached with big nuts between lines, most now use a 10mm bolt holding them together with an aluminum body and o-ring seals. As far as fan clutches, a nice air hammer and air hammer fan clutch removal set will do you good. Ill get you some part numbers tomorrow when im in my box. Keep Wrenching!

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
truckdude239

i uses http://www.otctools.com/products/fan...nch_master_set for my fan clutchs i bought the set for one job saying it will be one of those tools i use once boy was i wrong! i love that set for fan clutchs. i mostly only buy snap-on for the simple fact when i was in school they offered a 60 percent student discount program. i know have over 30k in tools and been in the field for 6 years and i couldn't be thinking of being anywhere else. i'm only 26 and am already the head mechanic at my shop. but from time to time i do by macto as they have some smoking deals on off brand sets that still have life time warrantys.

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Becca,congrats on the choice of carreers and furthering your education.What you're doing for tools right now is what I would suggest.Once you're working in the field,you will find most techs have an account and a balance with Snap_on and/or Matco or one of the others.Watch for deals with them.Buy what you need for now to get thru school but stay with lower cost but serviceable stuff.You'll have more to work with and maybe still be able to eat.As you get further into the field,you may choose to "specialize" a bit such as doing Heavy Line work(valve jobs and more involved repairs) or maybe the A/C stuff and you can buy specialty tools according to what will give you the best return on your investment.Once you're to a certain point with tools,you will be buying to speed things up.Since you're just getting started on tools,you need to start researching toolboxes.What works for one doen't work for someone else.Start figuring that out now since when you start buying Journeymans tools,you will want a secure quality place to store/organize them.Some like a taller cab,while others like a bench high one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
jmcleek

Becca- I used to have a small cart from General, now I have a bottom box from Craftsman. Most of the tools I have now I have snagged either from Harbor Freight or Rural King. I once looked at a set of plus sized wrenches from Snap-On and it 'bout made me choke on my tongue. As the above has commented, I do plan on getting the better tools when I can afford them after I have graduated and I just figure I can make "specialty" tools out of the cheep ones I have now. Thank you for all your wisdom peoples!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Special-Ed

if you are going to a tech school, purchase the best tools you can. dont waste money buying low grade tools and repurchasing again...

the local tool guy Mac, Snap-on, SK, Matco etc... will give a steep discount probabaly more than 50% off of tools, boxes etc.

i put myself thru engineering school turning wrenches... the mac and snap on guy gave me the trade school pricing as well... i still use those tools and box at least once a week.