The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Old Crow

'54 build questions.

A customer brought me a '54 5 window shortbed yesterday. Truck is in pieces, and even mostly there...heck, I've got 3 of some things.

Anyway, customer wants to keep the straight axle(believe me, I tried to talk him into a MII kit)and lower the truck around 3"...my plan is to go with lowering springs front and rear). I think this is a better option than the drop axle. Discuss.

Wants to keep the 235(which is newly re-done), but ditch the torque tube axle in order to mess with the gearing(hoping to get highway speeds out of the stock motor). I'm thinking Nova rear end(I've already got a good one). I'm aware of the need to offset the axle to center it in the wheel well.
He also wants to keep the manual 4 speed. Can I find a later model(post '55, say, made to use an open driveline)that'll bolt up to the 235?

Alternatively, is there a readily available automatic tranny that'll bolt up?
Yeah, I know I'll probably have to mess with the motor mounts...no biggie, I have the equipment.

Front driver's side cab mount and all running board mounts have been cut off the frame. I'll have to deal with that. Even the steering column has been cut off about 3" above the box...they didn't even take it apart, so I don't think I'll be able to use the upper half even if I do the Chevy box power steering conversion.

Truck is still in the brainstorming phase. Any and all suggestions or comments welcome.
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
curmudgeon

Re: '54 build questions.

Howdy, I have both a '54 with a MII/4-link and a '52 with the lowering leaf springs Ft and Rear. The '54 steers, rides and stops much better than the '52 For what the springs, rear axle relocating kit, 5-lug disc conversion, plus the front end rebuild (kingpins, steering, etc.) cost, the MII wasn't much more. I know, he wants the straight axle, the lowering leaf come in different drops Ft/R and the spring rates are balanced.

Open drivelines are 55.1 series and later, but I think 55.2 Task force rears are wider. The 4-sp are still 1.00 top gear, I have a Nova rear on the '52, fits great and 3.08 ratio higher than any truck rear, (depends if he wants 5 or 6 lugs), 6 lug open rear, go with a s-10 4x4.

Tom Langdon makes an auto tranny to stovebolt adapter:
http://stoveboltengineco.com/catalog...400&id=1396439, you can use any turbo350, 2004R, 700R4, otherwise the stock auto is a rare '54 Hydromatic.

I'd would go with lowering leafs all around, manual steering with front disc conversion, a 3.73 Nova rear with 700R4. Enough gear for the 235 to pull with decent mileage in OD.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Old Crow

I've built a '54 for myself in the past. I used a '75 Camaro front clip and BBC/TH-400/Camaro rear end. Not what this customer is looking for.

My preference would be the MII/6cyl/700R4/Nova RE. I think this would drive much nicer than the straight axle. That's what I'm going to try and sell him.

I personally drive a '61 F100(yeah, I know...GM tech for 25 years, you think I'd know better). It's got a 302/C6 with the stock front end and brakes. I've been driving old straight axle trucks for years but as I age, every time I fire that thing up I think about power steering and disc brakes and a front end that won't jar my kidneys.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
curmudgeon

F**ds and Chevys can co-exist in the same garage. I've been given a 56 F100 and have been trying to learn all I can. Although I think F**ds have some better design features, their constant refinements makes me appreciate the wonderful interchangabililty of Chey engine/drivetrains troughout the years. I have a '62 261 mated to a 69 Saginaw with a 77 camero rear, not as easy to do with F**d parts. I can relate to your customer's desire for staying old school, but at the very minimum front disc brakes are a must, but they're his kidneys not yours.

Have a fun build.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Old Crow

Somebody took a Sawzall to the steering column when disassembling the truck. Cut the thing off clean about 2" above the box. Looking at rebuilt boxes plus the core charge I'd have to forfeit makes the MII look better all the time.
The MII's seem available in either BBC or SBC versions. I'm guessing the SBC version would be ok for a 6 cyl. I saw the adaptor plate you referenced and it looks like I'd have to have a couple of struts off the original rear mounts to stabilize the engine/trans. Not a big deal, maybe use the dog bones off a 90-something Lumina or Monte Carlo.

As far as F##ds and Chevys, it's really worse than that. In my yard there's 2 Jeeps and the F100. The only GM I own is the '89 Sportscoach Class A. At least it's a big block.

It is nice to get a Chevy to build. There's a whole bunch of Mustangs in Arkansas, and it seems sometimes as if I built half of them. Now I've got this '54 and on the same day a guy dropped off a '78 Vette. My GM cup runneth over.