The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
JOJABOY

Question Cost for ls1 swap with trans

I saw an ad in the local CL for engine swap. I was quoted $8500 for a less than 60k LS1 with 4L60 installed. This includes all wiring, gauges, radiator, exhaust, transmission, driveshaft....out the door complete.

Does this seem like a decent quote or do you all think it's kind of high? Do to my poor health.....a DIY isn't an option right now.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
mmiddle

Re: Cost for ls1 swap with trans

I would say in Texas that would be on the high side. You being in CA and depending on the quality of parts and workmanship they do, it might just be worth it.

Check into them and ask to see some vehicles they have done.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
truckdude239

Sounds high i only have 2k in myswap so far maybe 3k once i get gauges. That inculdes shorting my drive shaft. Paided 1100 for the motor trans wiring harness and ecm and all the accories
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
sprint_9

Sounds a little on high side, but an LS1 is worth more than the standard 4.8 or 5.3 truck motors. If your looking for a cheaper route look into a 5.3. It will most likely have an iron block and produce a little less HP but should be quite a bit cheaper.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
502ms

Sounds fair, considering an LS1 and trans pullout usually runs about $4500. Factor in fuel system and labor + nick nacks you would be at 7500 easily, 8500 to be safe. I an tell you I did spend a bit more on mine, and did it with a friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Hardesty454

Its sounds completely fair INSTALLED. if youre getting EVERYTHING done and all you have to do is turn the key to get home. Good deal. Is there any kind of warranty? I dont think a lot of people consider shop time on pricing something like this.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
JOJABOY

It's a known shop here in town and they do offer a year warranty. I wasn't planning on a full engine swap. I need an overdrive transmission and I have a slight rod knock. I just saw the ad and now have been thinking about it. Weighing my options.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Hardesty454

For an ls1 that's a good deal. You can rebuild your knocking motor and sell it to offset the cost too!
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Sounds like that's the going rate, but step back for a minute and consider how much money that is. Eight THOUSAND five HUNDRED dollars, dude. That's probably more than your truck is worth. You could find a replacement stock type motor for your current truck, and buy a couple more running 67-72's to thoroughly enjoy. Either that, or a rebuilt motor, and a hell of a shopping spree at brothers, buying everything you could imagine for your current truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Sounds like that's the going rate, but step back for a minute and consider how much money that is. Eight THOUSAND five HUNDRED dollars, dude. That's probably more than your truck is worth. You could find a replacement stock type motor for your current truck, and buy a couple more running 67-72's to thoroughly enjoy. Either that, or a rebuilt motor, and a hell of a shopping spree at brothers, buying everything you could imagine for your current truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not going to have any knee jerk reactions here. I do have a wife. LOL I was just curious as to the what its worth aspect. I don't know that I would ever part with my truck so....I'm not overly worried about spending more than it's worth. Am considering selling my Porsche before I move and was debating on buying a crate sbc350. I have a built 200r4 in my garage. blah blah blah

Had the spine surgery Wednesday and like my foot surgery.....laid up on sofa trying to see how I can spend money. LOL
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
I'm not going to have any knee jerk reactions here. I do have a wife. LOL I was just curious as to the what its worth aspect. I don't know that I would ever part with my truck so....I'm not overly worried about spending more than it's worth. Am considering selling my Porsche before I move and was debating on buying a crate sbc350. I have a built 200r4 in my garage. blah blah blah

Had the spine surgery Wednesday and like my foot surgery.....laid up on sofa trying to see how I can spend money. LOL
There's just something about having a more vintage type motor in your classic truck. You don't feel that need to keep up with the Jones. If somebody wants new, they can get a new chevy truck. But, hey. I guess everybody is different.

Sorry to hear about your health. What's going on? Service related injuries?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
JOJABOY

Had torn ligament in foot. Then repair surgery. In cast from surgery....threw my back out. Came to find out I ruptured a disc. Then it just went south. Ended up having 3 discs repaired and back on sofa. Not working. Surfing internet spending all my hard earned cash. LOL

Like I was saying though....I was just seeing what it was worth. If I tried to bring my power plant into the Y2K, then I would want to upgrade to disc brakes, then under bed fuel tank and on and on and on. Might as well just go buy a 2013 Silverado.

I bought my 69 long bed because it's what my dad had when I was a baby. It's not my daily driver. Just me on sofa and too much time to dream and wonder and whatnot.

I am so ready to get healthy so I can work on and drive my truck. Come down to SoCal and put my OD trans in for me so I can see how I like it. LOL
Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Had torn ligament in foot. Then repair surgery. In cast from surgery....threw my back out. Came to find out I ruptured a disc. Then it just went south. Ended up having 3 discs repaired and back on sofa. Not working. Surfing internet spending all my hard earned cash. LOL

Like I was saying though....I was just seeing what it was worth. If I tried to bring my power plant into the Y2K, then I would want to upgrade to disc brakes, then under bed fuel tank and on and on and on. Might as well just go buy a 2013 Silverado.

I bought my 69 long bed because it's what my dad had when I was a baby. It's not my daily driver. Just me on sofa and too much time to dream and wonder and whatnot.

I am so ready to get healthy so I can work on and drive my truck. Come down to SoCal and put my OD trans in for me so I can see how I like it. LOL
Oh, man. That's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get better very soon

You can sit on a lawn chair with a cold lemonade, and point where you want stuff bolted in lol
Posted via Mobile Device