The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
muddstir

Rebuild of a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4

After years of mowing around the truck its time to get it back under its own power. The last year this truck was inspected was 05 due to the frame being broke because of rust, the underneath of the bed being gone because of rust and a long list of other minor things. I first tore into this truck in the spring of 08 I think and then it went hold. So now I'm going to redo the things I already redone and then finish it so I can get it put back on the road. My main goal is to "make it last against the Pa salty winter roads"
It's a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed, 350 ci motor, 400 auto, 205 transfer case, 14 bolt ff and a corp 10 up front. Nothing really special but this was my truck that I started driving with so I'd like to keep it around as long as I can. Here are some Pics the first is the day I took it off the road and the next two are how it sets now
Name:  Feb17.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  Copy of DSCF0229.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Copy of DSCF0232.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  36.3 KB
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
muddstir

Re: Rebuild of a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4

I bolted the rear axle back in it today so I could move it. Now that it's sitting where I can work on it, the first thing to do is strip it back down to a bare frame. I already replaced the broken frame back when I first tore into it but it's already rusting through the paint that I put on it so now it's time to do it right. I might buy a new sand blaster or just pay someone to blast it for me. After blasting it will get epoxy primed then painted with some of summits single stage paint. Then I'll bolt it back together and buy a good bed liner and put it on. I think that will help prevent rusting for a while.

Here is my first issue I need help with- When I put the different frame underneath it I didn't realize that I had 56in rear springs and the frame is setup for 52in ones. I'd like to keep my 56in one on there so I'm willing to drill new holes for the leaf mounts but I need to know where to drill. If someone can get me a measurement for the leaf mounts I would appericate it. I'm thinking if the measurement came from the center of the shock hole to the center of the top/ closest mounting hole in the leaf mount would be a good way of doing it. If you think there's a better way of doing it just let me know how you did it so I can do it the same way. I'll also look at it tomarrow to see if there a different way of doing it. And if it helps the frame I think is a 75.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
joe231

Cool project!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
muddstir

thanks joe 231.
Over the weekend i got the cab lifted off of it and it taken down to the frame. Now all I need to do is figure out the rear leaf placement an fix a front shock mount hole then it will be ready for blasting. I'm also on a hunt for a better cab, the cab I got is just to far gone. Here are some progress pics from the weekend.
Name:  Copy of DSCF0234.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  Copy of DSCF0239.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  50.9 KB
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
muddstir

Wow its been awhile since I posted on my truck. We went on alot of overtime where I work so I took it all, any free time was spent on other unplaned projects that came up. I did hunt for parts for my truck whenever I got a chance but came across nothing real great, till lastweek. I found a cab and a fleetside bed for 400 both in good shape. But the best thing is theres no rust on them at all just some dents.

Overtime is over at end of this week so back on the truck I go.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Geb58

My frame already had holes for either 56 or 52" springs. They sure looked like factory punches too .
Geb58 is offline   Reply With Quote