The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
1972_Buford

Power steering hose routing and fitment issues... experience or comments appreciated

So I found a thread that shows two different ways to route power steering hoses.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...g+hose+routing

Now, mine routes by going under the power steering pump instead of coming up over the pump in between the alternator.

Now, both ends of the hose are male ends and are different sizes so they only go in one way. I ordered this from autozone
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...70917/image/2/

as it had both male ends on the hose. Now, just from the picture I cannot tell if it bends the same as the one as I have but I assume so (first problem). I get the hose in the mail. Several weeks go by before I can install it due to washer machine breaking and a/c going on the fritz (AZ heat). So I get to it today and find the routing is wrong.

So I go online and find this
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...71065/image/2/

Now just looking at the photo it looks like the routing is correct or closer to what I have. But, the ends are different as one is a female fitting. In the photo it looks like it comes with an adapter/coupler.

If I try to is the hose I have there are many issues as it comes very close to headers and it gets bound up and all twisted (hose). And No I will not zip tie it. Zip ties become very brittle in AZ under the hood and tend to fail.

So my question is: Is adapter there so I can turn it into a male fitting? Am I missing something?

Any help appreciated

-B
1972_Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
franken

Re: Power steering hose routing and fitment issues... experience or comments apprecia

You're not missing anything... I have no idea why the new hose has a female fitting

I have the same hose as in the 3rd pic and haven't tried to install it, but have my doubts about if it will work. My hoses are wrong so I can't compare old to new.

Try the Napa store for a male female flare coupling. I can snap a pic and email it if you want.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
1972_Buford

Re: Power steering hose routing and fitment issues... experience or comments apprecia

It looks like it comes with one (coupler) in that third photo. Does it not?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
MidLifer

If not a zip tie how about a hose clamp? Should hold up better in AZ.
Posted via Mobile Device
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
1972_Buford

I would rather route it like it was originally. I dont like "making" things work nowadays. I want it to be the same as that how it was working before. I would think someone here would have run into this problem on whether or not that hose comes with the coupler and turns it into a male version.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
leddzepp

Try the one that looks like it will route properly (looks like it has an adapter). Whichever one works, go with it and return the one that doesn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
jcd9730

I replaced these a couple months ago when I did the PS pump. You use this one:

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...71065/image/2/

And the included adapter goes on the pump end of the hose. Warning- It will be a huge pain to put in, but it seemed easier to screw the pump end about halfway in and then thread the other end into the box. Still annoying to do though.

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
1972_Buford

If the adapter goes into the pump and not the gear box the. It wont work. Looking at the photo, the way the pipes are bent it would need to go into the gearbox to be run correctly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #9
jcd9730

Nope. Adapter goes into the pump. You can't really route the hose the other way because it won't fit under the inner fender. And even if you got did make that work, I've no idea how you would make the other end reach the right spot on the pump

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
1972_Buford

Hmm maybe i am just looking at the photo wrong. Actually the hose i did get i thought would fit too so just goes to show i am looking at them wrong. Going to nut a gear box rebuild kit tomorrow too. Well see how that goes. Thanks for the reply. I will update this for future reference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
jcd9730

If you have trouble I can take pics if you need

Old 09-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
1972_Buford

Great thanks. I will let you know but i can kinda see how that will workout too
Posted via Mobile Device