The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
rs74

Questions for the panel guys.

How many of you guys are running back seats in your panels? Debating wether to keep the 60 a panel or have the body shop fab in some burb windows so I can make it more of a family cruiser. I love the panel look but it would be nice to have some windows in it especially if we make it a vacation/getaway hauler. I am sure my daughters would appreciate the windows.

How many of you guys use your panel/burbs for family outings or road trips?

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
LT1 Burb

Re: Questions for the panel guys.

The problem with adding windows in a panel is they always look added on. They remind me of a 70's van with a tear drop bubble window cut in. I don't know if I have ever really seen good added in windows. I hear you about the fam wanting to see outside, the other alternative is drop down dvd screens from the ceiling.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
rs74

I was thinking along the lines of grafting the full panel which the burb windows set in into the panel. I agree with trying to add windows that were not from a suburban. I would have to see the inner structure of a suburban and see if the whole side panel could be cut out and then cut out the panel truck side and graft in the new side panel. Not sure if it is feasible and can be done but that is my thought. If the panel had not been a part of the family for so long then it would be easier to just go buy a suburban. Just a thought at this point in time.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
chakah

....a 60' Panel? cut out for windows? you know hard it is to find a 60' Panel?....Brotha, I'll rent you a van for the weekend.(jk)
'66 swb C-10
'63 Panel
'60 VW vert
'56 VW vert
chakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakah View Post
....a 60' Panel? cut out for windows? you know hard it is to find a 60' Panel?....Brotha, I'll rent you a van for the weekend.(jk)
Lol. Like I said the only reason I am thinking about it is has been in the family for twenty years. It was my step dads and we got it when I was around 15-16. Now that I am 39 I would like to make it something I can take the family in when we go on road trips. If it wasn't for how long we have had it I wouldn't even bother due to how complicated it will be. First I need to get my 85 short bed done before starting on this one. Just trying to look ahead a little.

The biggest thing I need to do is find a quarter panel for it. Right behind the passenger door it is crushed in from sliding into a concrete barrier. The damage is just between the door and the rear wheel opening. The wheel opening is okay.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
padresag

mine had these when i got it in 1990. have a suburban body on it now

also have a good roof and the tops of the window openings. think I have the bottom pieces around somewhere

ron

Last edited by padresag; 09-09-2013 at 04:49 PM.
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
rs74

I have a new question now. Not sure if I should start another thread but what is everyone doing about quarter panel replacement and rocker panels. Am I correct that there are no replacement quarters? I think the 60 is going to need all lower metal on both sides and the driver side will need a rocker. I can't get the passenger door open to see how the rocker is there.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
padresag

look thru here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448681
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The rear wheel openings are the same as on the short fleetside pickup bend. So the patch panels for those will work on a Suburban/Panel. Of course some fabrication and/or modification may be necessary. But the basic patch panel will work. As for the rockers, floor patches, cab mounts, etc. those are the same as for a pickup.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The rear wheel openings are the same as on the short fleetside pickup bend. So the patch panels for those will work on a Suburban/Panel. Of course some fabrication and/or modification may be necessary. But the basic patch panel will work. As for the rockers, floor patches, cab mounts, etc. those are the same as for a pickup.
Thanks Padresag & Captainfab. It is going to need a bit more work than I originally thought. Good to know that the patch panels will work. I will post pics of all the work it will need when I get it back home.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Brad54

I've thought if I built a dedicated tow rig, I'd start with a panel, and add one set of factory sliding rear windows for a back seat area, but keep the back portion of the body as the panel.

It'd let me haul friends, and it'd let me wall off the rear compartment with a bulkhead and have secure storage for tools and parts.

It'd look factory with the factory windows.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Flame Broiled

I have a panel, and it has a back seat. Is it the best place to sit on a hot day with the smell of exhaust gas permeating the floor probably not, but what do I care i'm not sitting back there!!!!

I took a middle seat out of a astro/safari and narrowed it a bit, fits between the wheel wells. It would be nice if the passengers had windows, but honestly its not too bad, kinda like being in a limo that you cant see out of.

A/C would be nice though.
Flame Broiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
mMad Dawg

I have a 66 swb panel I'm working on. I used some wheel arch repair panels for the rear. Found uot they were for a lwb. So I cut 3 inches out of the center. It was also rusty between the rocker panel and the repair panel .I ended up using part of a slipon panel. For the rear I used part of a repair panel for a 73-87 longbed because there is a flare under the bumper. In case anyone is interested if you look in a 60-66 manual you will find that the sides of panels and subs are actually bolted in through the driprail and to the floor. Mine was an old highways dept. panel ,2 windows on each side. Not a fan .
mMad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Brad54

There's a set of window channels, sliding window glass and rubber seals in the For Sale section! Still has a pair of sliding window latches left, too!

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote