The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #26
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Re: Engine Monitor for Smart Phones

This place, Meritline, was sending me emails for a long time for a version in a blue translucent case bluetooth-obd-ii-wireless-transceiver-dongle---p-93106 but I guess that was a clearance price because this is all I found in a search...Amazon still has the blue one but the best price is about $10

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
eagleuh1

This is so cool. I take it there is no Apple Ios version for the bluetooth "Dongle" thing? That sure would be nice to have, seeing as I use my I phone for speedo, GPS and tracking my bike rides and runs and....Would make a nice clean truck. Was thinking about putting the remote start and tracking in for smart phone too. Just got to figure a way to remote drive it so it can pick me up at the front of the mall, work ...Ain't technology great.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
dkauffman05

I think im gonna go grab a cheap android tablet,download torque pro and use my iphone for a wifi hot spot for internet access. I think that will work.
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

The Bluetooth module is supposed to work with iOS, I just didn't pay attention to what app you have to use with it. Some packages and some cables come with a CD, there might be an app on it for iOS but that's just guessing.

Considering how many "Dashboard" apps there are for Android, I'm sure someone has tried to make one for iOS, it just may not be as popular as Torque is.

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Billett

I've been looking into the torque app as a cheap alternative to a new set of gauges for my swap. Any idea what kind of things it can read. I've heard it can be different depending on the vehicle. I'm assuming speed and engine rpms, but can it also do fuel, battery, temp, oil pressure?
Posted via Mobile Device
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
coyotes33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
I've been using something like that for awhile with a normal ebay OBD2 bluetooth adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-E...684648&vxp=mtr

and the "Torque" app for my Droid.

Torque Android App Review & OBDII Bluetooth Adapter - YouTube

I'm pretty excited to get my Megasquirt up and running in the truck, since I'll be able to scan and log via bluetooth, as well as actually flash the ECU via my phone, ipad, PC etc over bluetooth.

I bought the one in the first link and it won't connect to my pcm. I tried it on my dd and didn't have any issues, any ideas?

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/shadowdashmsmenu

Shadow Dash Ms Introduction - YouTube
Posted via Mobile Device
coyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
I've been looking into the torque app as a cheap alternative to a new set of gauges for my swap. Any idea what kind of things it can read. I've heard it can be different depending on the vehicle. I'm assuming speed and engine rpms, but can it also do fuel, battery, temp, oil pressure?
Posted via Mobile Device
It should do speed and RPM, but keep in mind that this is speed based off the VSS sensor readings at the ecm, as is the RPM's. This means that the refresh rate on the gauges is a tiny bit slower, and for a tachometer its less than ideal. I'm running a ScangaugeII, which works in the same manor with a less fancy interface. The speedo works just fine for most purposes, and the tach works but I really wouldn't use it as the ONLY tach, especially in racing purposes where your shift point is crucial.

Most of these don't do a standard fuel readout, as the sending unit has no interface to the ecm. What they do allow is for you to program the tank size, and it can use injector pulse to calculate your remaining fuel, similar to how some HUD's on modern cars read.

They do voltage. They usually do NOT do oil pressure, tho that is more to do with the GM ECU than the software. These GM ecu's only oil pressure input is for an idiot light, and triggers no physical reaction in the software. Because of this, there isn't a numerical value at the ecm, so the gauge will have nothing to read. This is true of the pre 07 trucks as far as i know..other vehicle brands DO have an ecm value for oil pressure, so this feature may work on non-gm late models.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #33
Billett

Just thought I'd give an update on this. I did get a set of autometers but I also got an adapter and torque in order to read codes and just mess around with. IT IS AWESOME! I would never consider trying to do one of these swaps without some sort of code reader, but this one is very cheap and works very well. It can read and display anything your ecm can, including oil pressure on some models. My engine/pcm did not have the provisions for oil pressure, but I know that there ARE some out there that can.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote