The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
77 Sport

Decals?

I just bought a NOS decal for my truck, one of many required. The eBay seller said that it was made by Stauffer. Does anyone know who Stauffer was or if they are still around? Or, does anyone know where I might find remanufactured or NOS decals for my 77 Sport?

Bob
77 Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
87Bob

Re: Decals?

Here is something you might want to check out it makes reference to a Stauffer decal company that did do some automotive decals and tops.

http://www.mooresmopars.com/modregistry.html

Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

got a pic of your truck? I'd love to see it. I had a white 77 sport fleetside. I wasn't on the net when I had it so I never did find any stripes for mine. I do see them from time to time on ebay though. A few months ago a pair of the chevy sport script decals went for $30 or so.

No stripes, but It had the right wheels and rollbar. My dad bought it new, he peeled the stripes off around 87 or 88 because someone keyed it and the stripes weren't available anymore. He did say one time he replaced the lower front bed stripe under the gas filler and that little decal was around $45 back in the early 80's.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 05-19-2009 at 06:58 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
77 Sport

I bought a Sport in Massachusetts, February 1978 from a dealer as a left over. I was 18 and it was my first new vehicle. I sold it to the guy across the street in 1979 because gas was coming up on $.80 a gallon, too expensive at the time. The first thing my neighbor did was pull the stripes off and add an aluminum camper shell. I don't know what he did with the light bar.

I bought a 77 short bed fleetside last year as a utility truck and eventual project truck. It's a California truck so the body isn't in too bad a shape. I plan to do a frame of restoration someday but it's not a priority at the moment. For now I'm collecting information and parts.

Here are some pictures from 1979. I don't have any paper work from my first truck but I'm pretty sure that there wasn't much to the Sport package--some decals, white rims, locking chrome gas caps, and chrome parts. Note the chrome bead on the dash bezel. I added those big truck mirrors. They killed my gas mileage but I could go backwards like Mater .
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Great pics man! Thanks for sharing. Makes me wanna go find some pics of the old white truck with it's stripes still on it.

My dad got his too in early '78, One of my uncles worked at a dealership back then and got him a deal on it.
Mine had the center caps and wheel opening trim, but it didn't come on it, dad bought them on his way out of the dealership.

I wish I could find that AUX LIGHT switch by the ashtray. I'd put it in the next truck I get without dual tanks.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
truckman1

can you get a pic of the decals you purchased. i too have a 77 sport fleetside in black. been searching forever to find the decals for it
truckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
80SPORT

If you find some NOS decals they will likely be unusable.

But any good graphics shop that does vehicle wraps should be able to make up and install a stripe kit based on the pictures available

77sport has the ONLY original stripe truck that I know of in the last 5 years
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
77 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckman1 View Post
can you get a pic of the decals you purchased. i too have a 77 sport fleetside in black. been searching forever to find the decals for it
I'll see what I can do. Are you looking for scaled pictures?

The decals that I have both the backing paper and the protective paper still on them. Like 80Sport said, they probably aren't worth putting on a truck. I will be able to take them to a vinyl shop and at least get 4 stripes (the 2 I have and mirror images) and the colors right.

Does your truck have any stripes left? Can you post pictures? I am disappointed that I don't have (and would really love to have) a clear image of the "Chevy Sport" bed lettering.

Bob