The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
sqrlnts

55-59 mild chop pics

Not to be a snob but I would like to see some mild chops of 55-59 trucks. I know we have alot of guys with a TON of pictures just hoping to chase some of them out.

I would also be interested in hearing details about the pics if you have them.

This is the information that was posted along with this pic.
A good buddy of mine did one, and he added a front-to-back filler strip to keep the door tops and the windshield posts in the right vertical location, but you don't need a second top. Consult with a good glass guy before you start. If he's done this before, he might be able to give you some good tips to that'll help him when it's time to install the glass. Here's the only picture I have of his '57. He chopped the top and shrunk the upper cap so it wouldn't look so top-heavy. He did everything himself:
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: 55-59 mild chop pics

What's mild? I cut mine 3" and, to my eye, that's the way Chevy should have done it in the first place if they wanted to keep the body proportions correct. There are many who might think that's too much.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
dubie

there is a tutorial on the Classic Trucks website, well there should be. They featured it in their magazine over a 2 issue special

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
_Ogre

speedbump has the best looking chop i've seen on a tf truck.
but proceed cautiously; most chopped tf trucks end up being scrapped because of the difficulty of fitting the windshield.
no one can cut a tf windshield to fit the frame, you must cut the glass and fit the frame to it.
if the truck your buddy owns does not have a windshield, it will never have a windshield.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Mac the Yankee

I'd love to see a chop where the overhang gets removed for a smoother look and... "less wind resistance"
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Highsider

Scary truth, Ogre!
Perfect for Halloween.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Daze57

well that still is a good lookin truck !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
sqrlnts

I would say a mild chop is something that looks like it belongs, possibly even slight enough that someone might think it came from the factory that way.

Mac the Yankee, your in luck. Check this out. Guy just chops out the crown of the top, doesn't modify the glass.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Speedbumpauto

Alrighty then. This is 3" with the rear window left the same. The top was not sectioned or widened at all, simply set down whole. corners were flared slightly at the B and the A pillar was tilted in ever so slightly which was OK because I planned to use one piece windows. This allowed the inner cab sheetmetal to remain almost untouched so I was able to use body color inside and not have to upholster everything. I didn't do this work. I traded out engine work to a former student who has truly found his gift as a "tin man."
I should be out working on it right now so it will run by Thanksgiving but I love to post pictures of how it has turned out so far. Thanks much to Ogre for the kind words and maybe the pix will trigger someone else's immagination Also, head Ogre's warning. I found a glass wizard here and it still took him three tries to get it right. That's a $900 dollar windshield.....but I love it.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Daze57

speedbump

beautiful truck sir .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
sqrlnts

Yup, thats pretty much perfection right there. Is the problem getting the glass cut to size or installed or both?

I thought I read somewhere you could possibly use a 55-59 Bel Air windshield??
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Speedbumpauto

Since the cab gets slightly shorter when lowered, traditionalists would add a strip to bring the cab back to it's orignal measurment. They would also add a strip side to side for the same reason. My guy said we could tip the A pillar back slightly to make up the difference front to rear and tilt it in on each side to make up the difference side to side. That required the windshield to be rotated back slightly also. That ment a little had to be shaved off the bottom of the curve at the ends to accomodate the back tilt and the vertical cut on the sides couldn't be parallel to the original edge to accomodate the inward tilt. The glass guy, as good as he is, was pretty sure it couldn't be done(first 2 windshields) until the tin wizard had a meeting with him and told him what needed to be done.(one more bad and the 4th worked) I had a few sleepless nights over that windshield thinking I had what Ogre talked about, a good looking cab that a windshield would never fit. The last good windshield installed with the stock rubber with 3" cut out of each side. I now have excellent insurance with glass coverage, even though it's never been out of the shop. It's truly amazing what local talented guys can do when they put their heads together. Thanks all for the positive comments.