The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Hampshire

Changing Front Track width on 47-54s

I ask because I'm looking at some IFS conversions (not clips) that increase track width to 58-59"

From what i read stock width of 56" goes to 56.5 with either disc brake kits most Mustang ll conversions. I've seen pics of a lot of front clips done with Nova, Camaro & Monte Carlo, etc. & I believe these range from 58-59.5 ".

Does this increased track width have bad consequences as to looks, handling etc.?
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
1project2many

Re: Changing Front Track width on 47-54s

Wider is better, at least if you're a Pontiac fan. Many of the guys that convert to 4X4 end up with wider axles, too. As long as wheels fit under the fenders correctly and don't rub you're ok.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Hampshire

Quote:
Wider is better, at least if you're a Pontiac fan. Many of the guys that convert to 4X4 end up with wider axles, too. As long as wheels fit under the fenders correctly and don't rub you're ok.
Thanks for getting back. When I tell my shop that some solutions I look at will be 58-59' (more than stock), they get real nervous & seem to indicate they won't do it. I'm in western New England & perhaps I should look to someone else to do the suspension install.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Speedbumpauto

They're nervous for a reason, IMO. The wider the track the tougher it is to get a proper turning radius without hitting the fenders, especially if wider is combined with lower. A serious consideration depending on the stance you see for your truck. Also, if you like wheels with some negative offset(deep dish) like I do, you will have more trouble the wider your track is. If you like newer style wheels with positive offset that are close to flat on the outside then track width is less of a concern. Your builders, like I would, probably want you to be aware of these things so you don't show up 2/3 of the way through the build saying "I really like these 8" wide 17" wheels with a 3" backspace for the front" and they have to say it can't be done. Just some things to think about.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Hampshire

Quote:
They're nervous for a reason, IMO. The wider the track the tougher it is to get a proper turning radius without hitting the fenders, especially if wider is combined with lower. A serious consideration depending on the stance you see for your truck. Also, if you like wheels with some negative offset(deep dish) like I do, you will have more trouble the wider your track is. If you like newer style wheels with positive offset that are close to flat on the outside then track width is less of a concern. Your builders, like I would, probably want you to be aware of these things so you don't show up 2/3 of the way through the build saying "I really like these 8" wide 17" wheels with a 3" backspace for the front" and they have to say it can't be done. Just some things to think about.
Excellent points that I've been giving serious consideration - I don't want to run into those pitfalls & want to see if they can be addressed before a FE & rims are purchased ....I'm looking at 15" x 6" or 7" for the front with a 4" offset. I want to run 235/75 -15s on those. For the rear I'm considering the same or using a wider tire (a 265-75-15). I have a 3.73 posi out of a Nova for the rear. The width is within a fraction of stock. We took measurements for a 4" offset so we are good to go back there.

I am looking to only drop the truck 2" and very slightly widen the stance via tires
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
nvrdone

I've got a straight axle but maybe this will help you.
Stock track is 58" plus 1" wheel adapters both sides giving a total of 60" track width.
The axle is dropped 3" with Corvette rally wheels that have a 3" back space. I run
215/70/15's. I don't have any rubbing issues yet and its been this way for lots of years.
Good luck.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

With that size tire/wheel combo and the minimal lowering, I don't see track width as being a problem. Your combo should be close to the same as nvrdone's and it works.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Hampshire

Quote:
I've got a straight axle but maybe this will help you.
Stock track is 58" plus 1" wheel adapters both sides giving a total of 60" track width.
The axle is dropped 3" with Corvette rally wheels that have a 3" back space. I run
215/70/15's. I don't have any rubbing issues yet and its been this way for lots of years.
Good luck.
...if you are out to 60" with a 3" back space, that's good news. Like Speedbumpauto, I wouldn't mind a bit of dish in the wheels
Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
1project2many

Quote:
I'm in western New England & perhaps I should look to someone else to do the suspension install.
Who are you using now? I still know a few folks down that way... mostly Westfield / Southwick area.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote