The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
ncoonen

USA-230 Radio

Anyone have experience with the USA-230 radio by Custom Auto Sound? It is available on eBay and many other places including Classic Car Stereos. I just pulled the '80s vintage Audiovox casette deck out of my '63 C10 long fleet and was pleased to discover an uncut dash under the plastic bezel. It looks like the stem holes were enlarged a little but not enough to matter. I want something decent but I plan only on a couple of underdash (out of sight) speakers so I don't expect audiophile tunes. I definitely want something that looks at a glance like it belongs on the dash of a '63.

Thanks all...ned.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: USA-230 Radio

I don't have any personal experience with Custom Autosound, but...

95% of the reviews I read, are bad.

You might want to look into it a little more before purchasing.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoonen View Post
Anyone have experience with the USA-230 radio by Custom Auto Sound? It is available on eBay and many other places including Classic Car Stereos. I just pulled the '80s vintage Audiovox casette deck out of my '63 C10 long fleet and was pleased to discover an uncut dash under the plastic bezel. It looks like the stem holes were enlarged a little but not enough to matter. I want something decent but I plan only on a couple of underdash (out of sight) speakers so I don't expect audiophile tunes. I definitely want something that looks at a glance like it belongs on the dash of a '63.

Thanks all...ned.
I just installed one of the USA-630's, haven't done anymore than play the radio at this point, i do like the ability to use (EDIT: Use the included flash drive) to store and play music and the 3.5 m stereo plug for an Ipod or Phone. I hooked up to an old Sherwood amp that's been in the truck forever. I like the fact it has front and rear RCA outputs.

The only thing i don't like about it so far is when adjusting the R/L channel, Fader, Bass, treble you push the right button to skip thru these choices which it does, but to adjust my natural tendency is to is to turn the same knob, but you have to turn the left knob right instead, if you turn the right knob it takes you out of the setting altogether and you have to start over, it had generated a few colorful metaphor's but i'm getting used to it.

One thing i wish it had was a dress up bezel. If your like me and don't want to cut the dash i haven't found a better choice yet with the same options, that's not to say that maybe there is something out there but i do like the older look to this radio.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 08-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
swamp rat

Oh yea, i purchased the one of the single dual voice coil dash speakers, 3X9?? the single one not the double speaker one, i later was told the double one sounded better. I also after the fact found a dual voice coil 6X9 speaker which also should sound way better, if i had it to do allover again i would have investigated if the 6X9 would have fit.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
swamp rat

I had no problems at all with Custom Auto Sound, prompt shipping too.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
rpatowers

My Custom Auto Sound radio was a disaster. Had three separate issues with it and finally sent it back to the vendor I bought it from for a refund.
rpatowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
swamp rat

I'll add an update on my USA-630:

I actually ordered mine thru this place not direct from Custom Car Stereos, very prompt shipping, no problems with them.

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/cat...evy-Radio.html

The display is hard to read in the daylight because the window had fake channel numbers and lines printed on it.

The tuner seams a little weak at times.

Still have not had a chance to use the flash drive

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 10-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
fabguy
Elev8r Man

i have put mine into my truck and am not happy with it, tuner for radio doesn't work, the antenna i got for it is great on other radios except this one. I only use my ipod now so I guess I can live with it until I find a factory radio to put in its hole. I already have another new radio to mount in the glove box for my tunes that has bluetooth, usb, aux inputs etc etc etc.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatowers View Post
My Custom Auto Sound radio was a disaster. Had three separate issues with it and finally sent it back to the vendor I bought it from for a refund.
pretty much the same here// terrible customer service and a complete disinterest on thier part to stand behind thier cheezy product/// i had bought direct so no quality vendor was there to help
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
king-918

Why not just use an regular deck hide it and use bluetooth or remote ir? Cheaper and a better option

Worlds better
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=190943945328

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
SilverMiner

How about looking at the Retrosound Model One? It is similar to the USA-230 in the sense that it is a modern head unit that will fit in a traditional two-post spot with a USB port and two AUX inputs for either an Ipod or satellite. I particularly like the included remote. Much handier than I anticipated. I'm not sure if it is similar price-wise, though.

I bought one for my 80 suburban back in June, and I've been very pleased with it since then. I recently upgraded the antenna (swapped the windshield version with a traditional whip) and the radio reception is now very good.

I'm not a huge stereo dude, but I successfully wired it to two amps, 4 speakers and a sub and I am very satisfied with the sound.