The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Dead

Drove the truck to work Saturday and on the way to work it went POP and then a bunch of destortion. So I was off today and well it work fine with the motor off but when I crank up the motor it starts all this noise. So I'm trying to figure it out and I was taking the radio out of the dash and the front face decideds to break off. Crap now I need a new head unit!

So what do all of u think I should go with?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Dead

I exclusively purchase HU's from Pioneer or Alpine.
Clarion, Sony, JVC, Kenwood etc seem stuck in the late 90's to me, barring a few top-end models from each.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Dead

I've been looking at Kenwood and Pioneer. I had a Kenwood and really liked it. And a course they don't make that model anymore. I may go all out and buy a singal din flip down. I found some on E-bay for less than $200.00 just not sure of the product. It would be nice to have it and watch video's and show pictures while at car shows.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Neverenuffbass

Don't waste your money on the flip down. The kenwood line is hard to beat.
Neverenuffbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenuffbass View Post
Don't waste your money on the flip down. The kenwood line is hard to beat.
Why do u say this other than brand name. I know the one I pictured isn't a brand name and I haven't found one yet. But is there any other reason why not to buy a flip down.

In all honesty I have thought about buying a double din and cutting the ash tray out of the truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

most the ebay stuff has crap screens, cheap lasers (skip, can't play dual layer etc), heck some arent' even coded for US video (many are PAL region).

Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Dead

Cool thanks. I will be calling my local guy Monday and seeing what he has to offer.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Dead

I bought a regular singal din radio and 2 new subs. I got a Dual 40 watt radio and 2 Memphis gold shallow subs. I hooked up the 600 max watt to the subs and the 3 ways then the 400 watt max to the mids, tweeters. Sounds good to me and I have plenty of volume.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I bought a regular singal din radio and 2 new subs. I got a Dual 40 watt radio and 2 Memphis gold shallow subs. I hooked up the 600 max watt to the subs and the 3 ways then the 400 watt max to the mids, tweeters. Sounds good to me and I have plenty of volume.
Get rid of the dual you're better of with a base line pioneer

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-918 View Post
Get rid of the dual you're better of with a base line pioneer
The dual has been a good brand for me. I have installed 6 of the marine grade radio's in golf carts and not one problem with them. So far it seems to be doing fine. I like the controls also. I don't need a lot of fancy stuff just a good sound. The remote is very easy to use.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

wait...dude why did you re-hook it up that way? You posted that whole thread before about how to hook it up logically, but you still ended up re-hooking the 3 ways to the same amp with the subs....
I thought you were going to re wire it?

Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Dead

Quote:
wait...dude why did you re-hook it up that way? You posted that whole thread before about how to hook it up logically, but you still ended up re-hooking the 3 ways to the same amp with the subs....
I thought you were going to re wire it?

I'm going to be honest I'm not sure how to physically do what I wanted.
The radio only has 1 set of out puts for the amp so I split them so I could run both amps.
I had to set the fad control on the radio to full rear! I guess I could hook the 2 tweeters and 2 mids on just the radio speaker wires with out running them through the amp right? I don't know if I would hear them though.
Then bridge the amps for just the 3 ways and subs.

As it is today.
600 watt amp has 2 subs and 2-3 way's.
400 watt amp has 2 singal tweeters mounted up on clothes hanger spot in truck and 2 mids inside the dash where the factory speaker would be.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: Dead

Well I have tried to set the gains and such on both amps. Being deaf isn't fun at all. I have hearing aids in both ears and it just sounds like a lot of loud music to me. I guess I will have to take it over to Masters friday and let them set it for me.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: Dead

Here is what I got.

600 watt amp has the 2 new 10" subs bridged.
400 watt amp has the 2 3 ways and 2 singal tweeters

The 2 mids are not hooked up right now. I have to take the glove box out again to hook them up straight to the radio. Didn't have time today. Didn't make it to Masters either been working on a golf cart all day.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I know you said Dual had been good to you....but a single line out is a telltale sign of a down-market unit. A quality HU should have at minimum 2 outputs; Front (speaker) and Rear(speaker OR sub). An upmarket unit will have 3; Front speaker, Rear speaker and a dedicated sub out. This will eliminate running Y's or T's or anything like that to get enough inputs without compromising the audio.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Dead

Maybe but it sounds pretty good. I'm not taking it to sound off's so it should do just fine I hope. Time will tell I guess.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Since you are getting a tad more stereo involvement than most with amps and tweeters...imo with NOT having 3 sets of 5V preouts for low, medium and high frequencies from your Dual HU, you should as stated at least have 2 sets of preouts and then add a passive crossover like AudioControl so you have your RCA ins and then outs to each amp for running your various speakers. By distributing the frequencies before it gets amplified, your sound will be much cleaner and you'll have more versatility in tweaking the system overall. While this sounds complicated, you are building a stereo system that is more than "just good sound" and it's bordering on tuning for sound quality itself.

People haven't heard great sounding music until they've heard Pink Floyds Money in a sound system designed for sound quality-it blows you away! Also, how have you upgraded your charging system to support all this stereo gear?
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Dead

Well I took the truck over to the local guy in town and he adjusted it so it sounds better than it did with me doing it. I also took the small tweeters and ran them straight off the radio. He said the amp was to much for them.
I bought new 2 way mids and put them in the dash and have them hooked to the 400 watt amp.
I bought some sound deadner and placed it along the back of the cab wall and in the pockets. That seems to of helped some I think. I have to take the drivers seat out to install it on the floor some time in the future. I got enough to do both doors also I hope. He said the doors will make the biggest improve ment.
The alternator is a 85amp and it seems to be doing fine. I haven't drove it enough to tell but everything is running OK. I don't have the hard hitting base so it doesn't cut out so far.
I ran new power cable with 50amp inline fuse with a spilter for the 2 amps.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club