The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
ksshane

Alignment and now grinding

Lowerd my truck and c notched the back. Finally finished that up mid last week. Took it to a shop for an alignment on Thursday night. They ended redoing my shims 3 times and I was to pick it up today

When I drove it there (about a mile away) I had no problems other than I realized like most of us that my long tube headers arent going to cut it. Other than that everything seemed normal.

I go to pick it up and right away i can feel and hear something grinding. My first thought was "oh no, it had settle way more than we thought" and I might be rubbing on a tire. So I stopped and went around to all 4 checking for clearance. I could easily get my hands in between the wheel wells and the tires and I couldnt see anything rubbing from underneath.
So I get in the truck and start moving again. By moving I mean just stepping on the gas enough to let the clutch out 3-5mph tops. And its still doing it. I would compare the noise and feeling to what the tires might sound like rubbing, or maybe the brakes dragging.
I did have brakes and from what I could tell my brake pedal felt fine. I didnt have to pump it or anything like that.

I only made it about 15 yards. Put the truck in reverse and backed right back up to the shop doors (still making the noise in reverse).

I told the shop owner what it was doing and he just said, well we didnt mess with the brakes. We will take a look at it on Monday....

Anyone every have that happen after an alignment? Any ideas what it might be?

Oh, and nothing was dragging on the ground either.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Alignment and now grinding

Could be now that they've adjusted your camber you have contact between the inner lip of your rim and the steering knuckle or something else on the 'a' arm.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
ksshane

I have a friend who knows the owner of the shop. He is going to see if we can get in tonight and take a look at her up on a lift.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksshane View Post
Lowerd my truck and c notched the back. Finally finished that up mid last week. Took it to a shop for an alignment on Thursday night. They ended redoing my shims 3 times and I was to pick it up today

When I drove it there (about a mile away) I had no problems other than I realized like most of us that my long tube headers arent going to cut it. Other than that everything seemed normal.

I go to pick it up and right away i can feel and hear something grinding. My first thought was "oh no, it had settle way more than we thought" and I might be rubbing on a tire. So I stopped and went around to all 4 checking for clearance. I could easily get my hands in between the wheel wells and the tires and I couldnt see anything rubbing from underneath.
So I get in the truck and start moving again. By moving I mean just stepping on the gas enough to let the clutch out 3-5mph tops. And its still doing it. I would compare the noise and feeling to what the tires might sound like rubbing, or maybe the brakes dragging.
I did have brakes and from what I could tell my brake pedal felt fine. I didnt have to pump it or anything like that.

I only made it about 15 yards. Put the truck in reverse and backed right back up to the shop doors (still making the noise in reverse).

I told the shop owner what it was doing and he just said, well we didnt mess with the brakes. We will take a look at it on Monday....

Anyone every have that happen after an alignment? Any ideas what it might be?

Oh, and nothing was dragging on the ground either.
Only after the shop tool took it out to do a few burnouts.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
ksshane

My driveshaft is rubbing the crossmember

Plasma torch time.... again