The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
knucklebuster
Failure is NOT an option!

Cross drilling rotors yourself?

Is it possible?I've always wondered this?Or would it make them weak

1969 Chevy Shortbed Fleetside
1969 Camaro ps pb a/c(drove in high school now it's just a yard ornament,but it's next on the list for resto)
1990 Ni$$an hardbody( daily beater that has been really beaten!)
1999 Grand Am GT(wifes ride...never buy a pontiac!!Trust Me)
knucklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Question Drilling

I have also wondered about doing them myself. As long as you stay away from the edges, I don't see anything wrong with it. I may be wrong but , you now that they can be done.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

There really is no need for it IMO. You would realy have to drive aggressively to take advantage of drilled rotors. It will also weaken the rotor so it would most likely crack or warp when you hit a puddle with hot brakes.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
nu2-72

To cross drill correctly you would next an index table. If you look at those sold by the name brands, they are not just drilled. They are symetrical and overlapping and chamfered. By this I mean that they are equal distances around the rotor, and equally offset in each row. This allows the holes to cover the entire pad area. We all have seen what happens when one rivet contacts a rotor. A groove is formed. This can happen with a void in the hole pattern and ruin a brake rotor. Actually doing more damage than good. Most also have " ( " slots cut in them. This covers the entire pad and helps clear pad material. The holes provide cooling.
Yes it can be done with the right tools.
A drillpress won't cut it. We are talking about brakes and your life if one fails.
Just my .02
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

I agree with nu2-72. Find yourself a friend with a Bridgeport style knee mill and an indexing table ... even better yet would be a machine shop with a CNC vertical machining center.

Doing this with a hand drill or a drill press is going to be tough work.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
slam33

nu2-72 is right and if you don't get them right they will be out of balance

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I have done this and it turned out great. I did this a few years ago. I used a computer drafting program and made a circle the same size as the rotor, I then layed out lines in a pie shaped pattern, drew a couple circles equal distance apart on the rotor surface area. This will give you 2 intersecting lines, put a circle in the correct spot to make the pattern. I then printed out the pattern on paper cut it out and layed it on the rotor, took a center punch and made a mark for all the hole and drilled them out. You will for sure need a drill press to do this. After they were all drilled I went around and chamfered them all with a slightly larger bit. It turned out looking just as good as any other drilled rotors. Can't tell you how they will perform as the truck hasn't been driven yet. I will see if I can scrounge up some pictures in the next couple days.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
tom hand
CCRider

Ok...somebody's got to disagree. I have seen articles in mags on this I think it would be a piece of cake. An indexer won't help much because the trick is to lay out the holes so you don't drill through the ribs in the rotor. So you can't just index it where it looks good and start drilling. Lots of patience, tape and measuring, and you can lay out the holes by hand...the first one will take a while...the second will be easy. You can easily drill it with a drill press. Go to a junkyard or brake shop and get a couple of junk ones to practice on before you drill the ones on your truck. Good Luck
Old 12-13-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

for all that effort, wouldn't it just be better to go to Checkers or Autozone and buy them (we got our last set from Autozone - they have to order them)

Shawn

Last edited by rickspickuppart; 12-13-2003 at 01:04 PM.
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
jef5150
Inline 69

just my opinion/advise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

those rotors are drilled and milled in a cnc machine ,they are programmed to be a "specific" distance from each other,probably (+-0005).Using a drill press, you'll be lucky to be within .050,, ,,,, also each "grouping of holes" is again a specified distance from each other.I've been doing ultra-precision machnining for almost 20yrs,im "STRONGLY ADVISEING" you "NOT" to do this your self,,,, YES,it can be done in a drill press,i can only give my advise.If you try it, buy a counter sink to de-burr the holes,a drill has 2 flutes on it,and it will more than likely leave a burr which will cut up your pads,,,,,,,,,jeff,,,,,,,use a machine!!!!!!
Attached Images

jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I think if you are really bored, and have way too much time on your hands it can be done. My question is "why"? You can buy drilled and slotted rotors so cheap these days it's not worth it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #12
PDX68GMC

I'm going to say bad, bad, idea.

Unless you really do a boatload of high-speed braking, and do this frequently, you wouldn't even really notice the brake fade that cross-drilling helps. Like during a SCCA SOLO II race.

If you were very successful in doing the drilling, you'd still have to inspect the rotors very often as they tend to develop cracks around the holes.

Instead, I'd get a set of Powerslot rotors, which don't crack, or change all the brake fuild to a higher spec synthetic fluid.

YMMV

-PR
PDX68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #13
Steven Sellers

I was watching two guys garage last weekend and they were HEAVILY against it but of course they are trying to sell product.

In my job we had to deal with many tolerances all the way to micro inches and I just dont see a drill press being accurate to be even close to what you need, but who knows I havent tried it.
I personally wont do any modding to brakes due to I have family that I want take that chance with.

Dont shoot me just my opinion
Steve
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wifes/wrecked)
1977 DJ5 postal jeep(mmm lots of fun)
1988 Toyota 2wd p/u(DD, blewup 199,000)
1991 Toyota 2ed p/u (sry just cant break these things)
1997 XR70 Honda
1991 Z50(FOR SALE)
1972 Z50 Honda
1970 SWB 350/knucklebuster "The adventure begins and I am confident that there will be no end".
Steven Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #14
casey

cross drilling is fine as long as you don't cross dress, you'll be ok. LOL seriously though I have a question would a factory drilled rotor be made of stronger material than a regular rotor, the offshore regular rotors don't look like I'd want to drill them full of holes. ?????
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:38 PM   #15
knucklebuster
Failure is NOT an option!

I'm not saying I'm gonna do it,I was just thinkin and wondered if it could be done?Thanks for all your advise and tips fellas.I wasn't really worried about doing it for performance reasons but just like the look of them.I guess I'll just break down and buy some.

1969 Chevy Shortbed Fleetside
1969 Camaro ps pb a/c(drove in high school now it's just a yard ornament,but it's next on the list for resto)
1990 Ni$$an hardbody( daily beater that has been really beaten!)
1999 Grand Am GT(wifes ride...never buy a pontiac!!Trust Me)

Last edited by knucklebuster; 12-13-2003 at 05:40 PM.
knucklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:58 PM   #16
cableguy0

working in a machine shop myself i wouldnt even do it. it would take too much time and effort and they are too cheap new to risk it. i would be led to believe that a stock rotor with a bunch of holes drilled in it is gonna be weaker more prone to cracking and warping. and as someone else said it unless your driving on a road course at high speeds and doing a bunch of high speed breaking you dont need it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote