The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Trump

'64-'66 Heater Blower Motor Resistor Source?

Have a '64 C10 w/ deluxe heater. Trying to get my stock heater up and going. Found the control panel assembly. Found the blower motor. Trying to figure out any missing parts I don't have.

I have been looking to see how to hook the switch on the control panel up and it appears that there is supposed to be a blower motor resistor?

Does anybody know where I might be able to obtain one of these blower resistors? Does anybody know where it mounted in the truck originally? Most of the heater system was gutted so I am flying blind.

Thanks.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Trump

Re: '64-'66 Heater Blower Motor Resistor Source?

also- could somebody please help with wiring diagram for connecting it to the control switch? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Sharps40
Account Suspended

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=34

Part #19...heater resistor.

Plugs into the back of your inside plenum so its in the air stream to cool it. It provides resistance to the motor so it blows slow, medium or fast.

Pretty common on early Chevy cars too, my 62 Impala had one. $10.

Run it in the air stream....Bench test it with 12 volts and ye'll light one cigarette and ye'll smoke it (the resister). Ask me how I know.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Pics of a 64 installed in a sec.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Trump

Thanks. Bought one.

Does it go in the back of the defroster diffuser box or the box that goes between the firewall and defroster box?

Any idea of how it is supposed to wire to the switch? I can't find it in any of the diagrams on the net. Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Backside of a 1964 C10 interior plenum/distribution box.....see the resister bolted in? Yep, if it burns out, ya gotta remove the whole mickspookas to get to it. But they rarely burn out.....at least not in the first 49.2 years of use.

And with my camera shoved ungracefully inna da hole...ya can see some of the coils that ride in the breeze to stay cool as they reduce voltage to the blower motor....ala variable speed....."Primitive Captain, but Effective, very Effective."

I grab em when I find em at junk yards, they are typically given to ya free and most of em work jest fine....helps folks local that way and keeps me with one handy cause my trucks comin up on the end of its first 49.2 year cycle of operation.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Used to live down the street from ya in Englewood OH, worked at WPAFB.

Ya snowin there yet? We're freezing in NC, its like 48 or 50, brrrrrrrr......hadda fix the heater motor in my 65 tonight!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Mine had a factory wirein harness, it jes plugged in. W/o a harness to work with I'd be stuck as to how to wire it. If there ain't one on the market, I'd pull one at a yard and try to duplicate it on the bench wire for wire.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Trump

Thanks for the Pictures. They are helpful. If you end up knowing how it is wired to the switch, please let me know.

We are getting some snow. I am just north of Columbus. Maybe about an 1" or 1.5" in the back yard, but they say more on the way. I'd much rather be in NC. That is a general statement.

I grew up in Dayton.... Centerville actually.

My grandfather was a Colonel at WPAFB. He was there in the 50's and 60's. Retired sometime in the early 70's I believe. Helped develop the centerfuge and G-suit out there. Worked on systems for the X-15 and multiple other planes and projects. He died a couple years ago and I inherited all of his military related items along with the little model planes that they used to hand out at the end of a project for appreciation. Lots of cool stuff memorializing his accomplishments.

I remember eating at the officer's club and DESC(?) as a young child with he and my grandma. Good memories. I miss him.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

They still do a lot of neat stuff there. I was Ground and Weapons (Explosive) safety for ASC and the Wing. I s like an all access card! Neat place but I don't miss the snow and the wind and the wind and the snow. Big deer, now them I miss!! Scrawney lil deer here in NC by comparison.