The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
jks67ss396

used ring pinion

Guys

I'm swapping gears and the shop has a set of used gears for 125

New is 250

Ok to save here or should I go new??

Thanks
jks67ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: used ring pinion

Will they warranty the used set? Most shops won't. They have a wear pattern in them and if not set up exactly as before the rear end will howl like a coyote. I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but this is my experience and not worth the risk.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
hugger6933

Have you looked around for a set of gears? I have had several farmers come to me to order them for them[ Word of mouth type thing] I order gear sets from Summit Racing or Jeg's either one has gear sets in the $ 150 or less range. Like I said I had one farmer come to me looking for used, I told him that new was not real expensive then he gave me the quote for the gears the dealers gave him some thing stupid like $450 for just a gear set. I told him I could get him a new set of Richmonds for [I think it was $135 ]and next thing I know several had called in the next month wanting the same deal. Most all the time I pass on my discounts [from other places] to my customers and not try to make anything off of a phone call. If you get a chance maybe you could check out that source for new.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
67ctener

I used my used gears in my newly built rear end. It's never been on the road but I kick myself for not just buying new
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
hugger6933

I have lots of used rear end stuff and only will sell somebody a used R&P to some one who just can not afford to do it any other way and are willing to ride with a howl rather than not ride. But I often sell my R&P's for like $40 or less. That is for 88-07 chevy truck rear end stuff. jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Will they warranty the used set? Most shops won't. They have a wear pattern in them and if not set up exactly as before the rear end will howl like a coyote. I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but this is my experience and not worth the risk.
Saved me the typing. I agree 100%.
The only time I would install used gears is if I removed them myself, even then it would be an extreme case.....it's just not worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

The issue is setting the rear up properly,new or used. A ring and pinion can last forever. If the ring and pinion are a mated pair that has always been together,and there is no physical damage,a used set is fine. I think in this situation,though,I'd buy the new,because you have to buy one or the other anyway. $250 vs $150 I'd buy new.

I'm using used ring & pinion in my '67 project ('71 frame/rear). I bought the frame complete. Towing it home on a dolly the pinion nut backed off (didn't know it wasn't torqued) and caused damage to the teeth. It's a 3.08 ratio and I'm using an M22,so didn't want 3.08s anyway. I bought a posi that came with the 3.42 ring & pinion,so I'm using that...with confidence. Basically,the r&p was free because the whole deal cost less than a new ring & pinion set.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
gysgtc

What price range should it be to have the gears put in?
gysgtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

A friend who runs a driveline shop told me that matched used gears in good shape are more desirable than brand new gears. He said that this is because the surface of the teeth have been polished & broken in.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthebuck View Post
A friend who runs a driveline shop told me that matched used gears in good shape are more desirable than brand new gears. He said that this is because the surface of the teeth have been polished & broken in.
That's a very sharp double-edged sword. The "polished & broken in" factor makes it even more important that they be installed EXACTLY like they were.....otherwise you are rubbing in a "new" place, which is even worse with used gears than new. It's hugely important with new ones also, there is very little forgiveness in either case.
This is why I would only install used gears that I removed, even then it would only be for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Pretty much like this for me on anything mechanical. If I have the parts,used is cool to save money. If I have to buy I get new. Always exceptions,but that's pretty much my rule of thumb.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
zeldman

I was young and stupid, I would buy used tires for half the price of new until I realized that I was paying the same price as new. Same with rear gears. If used are half the price of new, then you are wasting money. Now that I can afford new, I buy new instead of wasting something I cannot buy, like time
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote