The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
essner

Air tools

What brand gives the best bang for the buck....looking for a die grinder and sander but don't want to buy crap or spend too much for just a name
essner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: Air tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by essner View Post
What brand gives the best bang for the buck....looking for a die grinder and sander but don't want to buy crap or spend too much for just a name
Hi essner and welcome to the tool forum!
Can't be of much help here as my die grinder is a Blue Dart that's
probably well over 30 years old and I've no air sander.

I would think any of the name brands would be good and should be
priced OK as long as you don't shop at the tool truck.

Hate to admit it, but if my Blue Dart ever takes a dump, I'll probably
get a half dozen die grinders at Harbor freight (they actually have a
pretty good following).

I'm sure the guys that use these tools daily can give you better direction.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
cableguy0

Real hard to go wrong with Ingersol air tools. My die grinder is actually a junker from harbor freight. I use it daily almost at work. I think I paid 9 bucks for it on sale. So if I burned it up every few months I wouldn't care but its a couple years old now. Some of their tools suck but some of the stuff works good. Almost my entire tool box is filled with snap on tools. I just wont but their air tools. I prefer ingersol stuff. My brother recently got a 1/4 inch air ratchet made by air cat sold on the snap on truck and that thing works great. Was about 100 bucks. I have been meaning to get one myself. My impact gun is an ingersol titanium that I bought used for 150 bucks from the snap on truck. My air ratchets are ingersol too. You might be seeing a pattern here.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Flthead

I do auto body/ collision work. You want good tools at a good price . Like it or not harbor freight air tools are a deal an last a couple years . You want to spend couple hundred bucks , just go on tool trucks . An h f tools are cheap enough if it takes a crap in 2 years , can go but another for 25 bucks give or take. Been doing body work for 30 yrs too . I have their grinders , die grinders , drills. Sanders all are cheap an will last couple years. I know some won't like h f stuff but money saved means more truck parts $$
Flthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
hugger6933

I have a H/F die grinder in my body shop and several other H/F tools. I also use a older NAPA die grinder that I have had for several years. I have a body shop, and some of my air tools get used a BUNCH like my DA sanders. The one I have is a $50 dollar sander. I am on my second one of that type. The first one came in a "kit"with a couple of spray guns for like $135 or so and that sander lasted me like 8 to 10 years. That is like five or six life times in a regular hobby type shop. Not all of your tools HAVE to have the expensive names on them. Years ago I would not have made that statement but I was also giving the Snap-on tool guy a check every week anywhere between $150 to $600 a week. I was a stupid kid, luckily I was able to still keep every thing flowing while doing that and keeping wrecks coming in and going out. I rebuild wrecks [late model trucks and SUV's] and have since 1987. Go to the nearest H/F store spend $75 bucks get a boat load of stuff and take your self out or buy your truck a pretty with the 100 bucks difference that you would have spent on that air tool. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Yup,, lots of budget air tools in my collection too. But the better ones that have been around for a long time,, all have the Ingersol brand on them.

One thing I'll offer as a caution,, the budget tools are one thing, Usually all they do is wear out quick, and consume air in a HUGE (inefficient) way. BUT be cautious of the cheep inferior media like grinding disks and cut-off disks, carbide burrs,, anything that spins at high RPM's. This pict is a bit graphic so don't click on it if you have a weak stomach.....

But here is why I don't buy cut-off disks or grinding disks at harbor-freight or Wallmart or Target, CSK, AutoZone... or any of the crap tool shops.
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...cutoffDisk.jpg
Hey, at least he has his safety glasses on (LOL) Man that just hurts to even look at!!!

Buy your cutting/grinding media at a good welding store, or a auto bodyshop supply house. Not only will it last and work 10 times better, it's typically a 'get what you pay for' quality at the real supply houses.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 12-26-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
One thing I'll offer as a caution,, the budget tools are one thing, Usually all they do is wear out quick, and consume air in a HUGE (inefficient) way. BUT be cautious of the cheep inferior media like grinding disks and cut-off disks, carbide burrs,, anything that spins at high RPM's. This pict is a bit graphic so don't click on it if you have a weak stomach.....

But here is why I don't buy cut-off disks or grinding disks at harbor-freight or Wallmart or Target, CSK, AutoZone... or any of the crap tool shops.
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...cutoffDisk.jpg
Hey, at least he has his safety glasses on (LOL) Man that just hurts to even look at!!!

Buy your cutting/grinding media at a good welding store, or a auto bodyshop supply house. Not only will it last and work 10 times better, it's typically a 'get what you pay for' quality at the real supply houses.
Marv D, excellent point! What you drive it with and what you drive...especially
cutting wheels, drill bits, grinding discs, can make or break the safety issue.
As your link illustrates...it can be at our expense...hurt or worse.

If it can shatter or break; discs/blades, etc (see above), go for the best
you can get.
Even reamers, & drill bits. Sharp, brittle...they can break & fly...

All it takes is one flaw at the manufacturing to end to end up with the illustration
that Marv has added to his post. Though he warns us, please do look.

This also goes for composite cutting/grinding items that may have seen
moisture during storage!
May "look" good and be a good brand...they can still be time-bombs!

I nearly gave away a bunch of big cut-off discs that went to an old cutoff saw
I had (chainsaw-style drive), stored in a damp garage and by the time I looked at
them they were dry and looked great. Thank God I didn't.

Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!

BTW---still think these HF air tools, on the most part, are well worth the purchase.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...

Last edited by ETsC10; 12-28-2013 at 01:04 AM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
cableguy0

I had a cheap cut off disk from harbor freight almost take my finger. I was cutting a piece of relatively thin sheet metal. A pie shape piece of the disk broke out and the disk grabbed the metal flipped the tool out of my hand and the remaining piece of the disk cut straight into my knuckle. After that anything that spins fast is a name brand. I like Norton disks but most anything name brand will be fine. I think for me the worse part is using these tools everything you get used to them and get a sense of safety with the tools and it becomes TOO routine. You forget how dangerous the tool is and almost become complacent.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Zebb

I needed to replace a 1/4" angle grinder on a Sunday. My only choices in my area where Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply. I ended up getting a husky thinking that it would get me by until I brought my IR home from work and it would make a good spare to have around. Turns out that I like it better than the IR. It has only seen light duty service and I don't expect it to last like an expensive one but it feels good in your hand and is quiet.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have a cheap HF and an expensive AirCat. The HF lasted as long but the AirCat is much quieter. The $75 dollar difference to me is worth the much lower noise level.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote