The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
nikwho

'47-'55's on S-10's with BBC?

I am swapping a '94 S-10 frame under my '53 GMC. I plan to drop in a 454/TH400 that I have aquired. So, I am wondering who else has done this? I am wondering what hurdles I should expect. I'd love to hear from guys that have done it!

Thanks,
Nik
Old 12-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
semn49

Re: '47-'55's on S-10's with BBC?

My son and I are doing this same swap, '94 S10/'47 cab. So far only have the cab sitting on the frame. I'm thinking the only real issues will be with exhaust, that it will have to be custom. Otherwise should be about the same as using a small block right?

Do you have a build thread started? I don't.
semn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

I don't have a lot of info to offer but I'll contribute what I can. I have a '53 on an '87 S10 frame that I am installing a big block into. I have the motor in position and am contemplating the steering and exhaust right now. I will be using a modified stock column that has been cut off and has a 3/4" round shaft to attach too. The frame engine stands are relatively tall, so the motor sits pretty high.

I initially installed 1980 1 ton truck cast manifolds and the steering and #7 plug wire were pretty close to the column. The steering shaft was going to need a double u-joint to come off of the column towards the frame and then turn back. This was a little more convoluted than what I wanted to do so I decided to try to make a pair of BBC headers from an early 2nd gen Camaro that I have fit. I have them cut now(as of yesterday evening) with the motor in position and plan to modify/reweld to fit. Right now, the plan is to modify the #7 tube so I can route the steering through it and then modify the #5 tube also for the steering(plus other mods to make them fit the chassis). Looks like before I'm done, I'll have a set of custom headers...

With the tall frame stands, I have excellent oil pan clearance and the floor has already been modified( some) for a trans tunnel. I have not installed my tranny yet...one thing at a time. The bottom of the header collectors are above/level with the frame rails. I foresee 2 things as a result...#1. plenty of ground clearance(Woohoo!!!!) and #2. custom trans crossmember because the position of the headers. I had already planned on #2 so, for me, it's a win/win deal.

Looks like short water pump pulleys/brackets will be needed for my setup also(at least to be able to run an electric fan). The BBC is both longer and wider than an SBC but, so far, it appears to be as straightforward as any custom swap. Just a few fab skills and plan on unexpected things to arise.

I hope some of this will help in your decision making process and look forward to hearing others chime in on their experiences. Good luck!!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
nikwho

Thanks guys! I figure that it will come with some extra headaches, but will be worth it in the long run. semn49, I don't have a build thread started at this point for this truck. I'll wait until I collect some more needed parts and really get started on it.

Nik
Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
nikwho

Does anyone know what headers I should run on my BBC for the '53 on a '94 S-10 frame?
Thank you!
Nik