The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Root2812

Champion Radiator w/ LS info needed

Hey guys. So my cab if not on the frame and I want to position the motor in the frame on my 1950 chevy. I decided to position it close to the radiator to make sure I have clearance to the firewall rather than place it off the firewall to have clearance up front. I think it will work out the same either way and I got adjustable mounts from dirty dingo incase I need to fine tune it later. I am going to avoid modifying the firewall.

I know champion radiators are spoken highly of on the forum so I am going to get one. For those of you running one with a 5.3 did you go with the 3 or 4 row radiator?

Anyone running a champion, What is the total depth front to back with the electric fan attached? What fan? I think champion sells one with the radiator so I may go that way.

Lastly, If any of you are running a 5.3 (truck accessories) with the champion set up please share some details and some measurements of the front of the accessories to the back of the fan.

With your guys' help I think I should be able to get my motor in using just the radiator support I have laying around and making a cardboard mock up radiator and fan with your dimensions. I have some replacement floor pans with the toe board to lay on the frame too but no firewall.

Thanks in advance for the posts.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
mcfarlnd

Re: Champion Radiator w/ LS info needed

Subscribed, I am curious of the same info. for my swap.
mcfarlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
vht

Look at Marvin and 49 ls1 in the project section. I'm putting mine really close to the fire wall. I have truck accessories and I want them to clear and I want the better wt transfer.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Root2812

I've read those threads a few times. I was really hoping that someone with a champion radiator could grab a tape measure and measure the thickness with the electric fan for me. And that maybe someone could help me determine if I need the 3 or 4 row radiator.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #5
mcfarlnd

Have you tried calling or emailing champion radiator? They should be able to measure the radiator for you from there stock. They may have the dimensions on hand but, not advertise it. I was originally subscribing to see if anyone would chime in and had fitmant issues or leak problems. Want one but a little skeptical the price is so low. Good luck on your project. What do you need as far as measurements for the accessories? Distance from block to the tip of water pump pulley (the furthest point from the block)?

Last edited by mcfarlnd; 01-13-2014 at 03:21 AM.
mcfarlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarlnd View Post
Have you tried calling or emailing champion radiator? They should be able to measure the radiator for you from there stock. They may have the dimensions on hand but, not advertise it. I was originally subscribing to see if anyone would chime in and had fitmant issues or leak problems. Want one but a little skeptical the price is so low. Good luck on your project. What do you need as far as measurements for the accessories? Distance from block to the tip of water pump pulley (the furthest point from the block)?
I could call them but I was hoping that maybe there was someone here running one with a 5.3 so I could hear first hand how it all worked instead of some BS customer service guy who just wants me to buy. I've got the motor to measure. I have no cab so I wanted detailed measurements of the radiator size and how far the water pump pulley was from the electric fan on a working set up. That way I could position my motor and begin building my fuel system.