The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
tbrown5079

Cameo rear bumper ends

I'm getting ready for the rear bumper on my Cameo and I would like to find bumper ends from some other older GM vehicle that closely fits the fender indentation of the Cameo bedsides ( or a set of Cameo bumper ends not in perfect condition). Then I could make a smooth center section the way I want. Any suggestions?
tbrown
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
akdg87

Re: Cameo rear bumper ends

Gibbons fiberglass has a nice one piece bumper or all the individual pieces formed in fiberglass. Great pricing as well.
2009 CTSV Sedan
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #3
MARTINSR

I have to say, I am a HUGE fan of the fifties GM design studio and Chuck Jordan did a spectacular job looking over the design of that truck, it's a work of art. I would have a very hard time modifying it. And this is coming from a guy who has sectioned and chopped his truck, every square inch of mine will be modified. But that Cameo, wow, that was a full on custom car when it was new. It looked like it was built by a custom shop and in the main arena at the Grand National Roadster show.

That being said, you could make them by cutting up about anything you wanted and making what you want to make, then have them chromed. If you think this is not possible, you need to just start doing it and you will find you have the power for such magic. Dicing up a thick metal bumper close enough to butt weld the pieces together and grind the welds down to chrome plate it isn't that far out of reach.

Here is a 54 Cadillac.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
tbrown5079

Thanks for posting guys, I appreciate your input. I did order a Gibbons fiberglass one piece bumper, but still have in my mind how neat it would be to pretend I was Chip Foose and really tuck the bumper around the body.
I will use the the one I ordered and could be working on a custom metal one if I had a couple of ends that would work. I can't really use a chrome front bumper and grill if I don't have chrome for the back
tbrown