The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
hpcgmc

removal of wiring block and steering?

I'm stripping the engine bay to clean, paint, rewire, etc. Is there a way to disconnect the stock wiring in the engine bay, and still leave the fuse block in the cab?

Next, how do I remove the steering column? Here's a couple pics of my progress so far.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: removal of wiring block and steering?

There is a bolt in the middle of that block. Back it off and the block will come loose with the 2 front harnesses. Then if desired you can split the block into engine and lighting harnesses.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcgmc View Post
I'm stripping the engine bay to clean, paint, rewire, etc. Is there a way to disconnect the stock wiring in the engine bay, and still leave the fuse block in the cab?

Next, how do I remove the steering column? Here's a couple pics of my progress so far.

Thanks!
The engine bay side acts as the backshell for the fuseblock in the cab as they mate together like any electrical connector. There is no way to remove the engine side without removing the center screw in the fuse block and loosening it from the cab side.

The steering column has a half moon shaped electrical connector which must be disconnected along with the reverse light switch. Then the steering shaft coupler at the end of the rubber boot needs to be removed. There are connections for the shift linkage that also need to be removed under the dash. When that connection is loose at the column, the column seal at the floor is removed and the column support bracket at the dash are removed and the column can be withdrawn from the firewall.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
hpcgmc

Thanks Guys, I got the middle screw out of the engine bay wiring harness, and the fuse block from inside the cab loose, but still can't seem to get the harness loose in the engine bay. Is this a plug connector with one side in engine bay and one side in the cab? If so, then I'm just not pulling them apart hard enough. As I tug on them, it doesn't seem like they come apart, but that could just be 45 years of rust and rubber melding together. I'm hoping to get it apart in one piece, although I intend to buy a new wiring harness, so can cut it or bust it up if necessary.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcgmc View Post
Thanks Guys, I got the middle screw out of the engine bay wiring harness, and the fuse block from inside the cab loose, but still can't seem to get the harness loose in the engine bay. Is this a plug connector with one side in engine bay and one side in the cab? If so, then I'm just not pulling them apart hard enough. As I tug on them, it doesn't seem like they come apart, but that could just be 45 years of rust and rubber melding together. I'm hoping to get it apart in one piece, although I intend to buy a new wiring harness, so can cut it or bust it up if necessary.
As I said earlier:
The engine bay side acts as the backshell for the fuseblock in the cab as they mate together like any electrical connector. There is no way to remove the engine side without removing the center screw in the fuse block and loosening it from the cab side.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
seamus2154

If you removed the center screw, it will need some persuading to disconnect. It has an electrical grease to weatherproof it which in time gets very gummy like glue. So carefully pry it apart as it will probably be stuck and brittle. Don't just pull the wires or you'll be buying a new engine harness.
seamus2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
hpcgmc

Thanks guys, I just had to tug a little harder to get the wiring harness to come apart at the firewall. Now I've got the harness out of the engine bay, the steering column out and the fuel tank out. I think it's time for a beer.

Oh, one more question -what are all those little rubber nipples that stick through the firewall into the engine bay? You can see one in my first picture above -at about 11:00 over the wire harness connector?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

This might help:
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #9
seamus2154

They are probably the rubber plugs that hold the firewall insulator pad to the inside. My GTO has them and that is what they are. I never did pull that pad on a C10 but that is a common GM way of holding the pad in.
seamus2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
PowerdbyChevy79

those rubber nipples hold the insulation on the inside of the firewall.....you will have to cut them if your gonna remove the insulation...
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote