The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
1963c-10

Re: What did you do to your truck today part II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
if you have a moment can you snap a few pics of the center link that hold the tie rods cuz i think my gearbox is off, my center link dosent run str to the idler arm. i think the PO moved the gear box forward a bit towards the front of the truck for some reason i dont know and im using what i think arent correct hole location for it,thks
No problem. Can get them tonight. The outer two holes are the pitman/idler arm assemblies. The two inner holes are for the inner tie rods. I have a bunch of front end pics on the build thread for the stepside.
Check post #1028 But easy enough to snap a few of just the center link for you.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
No problem. Can get them tonight. The outer two holes are the pitman/idler arm assemblies. The two inner holes are for the inner tie rods. I have a bunch of front end pics on the build thread for the stepside.
Check post #1028 But easy enough to snap a few of just the center link for you.
i got the holes for the pitman and idler arm ok, its just the center link seems to have a greater distance away the crossmember on the driverside then the idler arm does, as if the whole system is moved towards the front too much on the one side
Old 07-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
i got the holes for the pitman and idler arm ok, its just the center link seems to have a greater distance away the crossmember on the driverside then the idler arm does, as if the whole system is moved towards the front too much on the one side
Do you know if the idler arm is bolted in the correct location? My replacement from Moog looked quite a bit different than the stock one. Also came with a big bag of extra bolts and parts. But there are 3-4 holes in the same location. Any pic of you steering box and idler arms?

My center drag link is flush with the front crossmember and not far off of it....maybe an 1" or so just off the top of my head.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
1963c-10

Ah man.....what a find. Yeah....definitely grab the next set. I look at every 60-72 truck I see in any yards looking for them. Large trucks also.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Jimal

I figured out my rear shock situation. There is still some adjustments I need to make (longer upper bolts, cutting flats into the washers to they sit flat) and I need to cut off the old shock from the other side, but this set up seems to work.

Now all I have to do is replace the flywheel and clutch... and the wheel cylinders... and finish rebuilding the carburetor...
Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
ACK

Replaced the radiator, water pump, heater core, and installed a clutch fan. The water pump had a bad bearing, so the old one went back in and returned the new one for a refund because I've spent more money on anti-freeze than the water pump. The old water pump wasn't bad, just figured it made sense to replace the original while everything was apart ... so much for that.

The best part, after 3 months of being off the road for all kinds of fixes and upgrades, my daily driver is again my daily driver. Some of this included replaceing the trailing arms; complete rebuild of all brakes; had the rockers, cab supports and other misc. pieces of metal welded in; painted the rockers, steering wheel, and kick panels; replaced the carpet with vinyl mat; swapped out the POS turn signals for a Wells unit and more. The "TO DO" list is way shorter than the completed list and I'm on the road with the windows down, finally enjoying my summer.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
Replaced the radiator, water pump, heater core, and installed a clutch fan. The water pump had a bad bearing, so the old one went back in and returned the new one for a refund because I've spent more money on anti-freeze than the water pump. The old water pump wasn't bad, just figured it made sense to replace the original while everything was apart ... so much for that.

The best part, after 3 months of being off the road for all kinds of fixes and upgrades, my daily driver is again my daily driver. Some of this included replaceing the trailing arms; complete rebuild of all brakes; had the rockers, cab supports and other misc. pieces of metal welded in; painted the rockers, steering wheel, and kick panels; replaced the carpet with vinyl mat; swapped out the POS turn signals for a Wells unit and more. The "TO DO" list is way shorter than the completed list and I'm on the road with the windows down, finally enjoying my summer.
Nice.....glad its back on the road. I'm working on it as fast as possible myself. Been down around 5-6 weeks and it's killing me.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
Dillon Rock

Had a chance a while back to buy a set off a fella on the west side of Puget Sound a while ago for my c20. They were rough but good shape. He wasn't home when I got there. And all 4 for 20 bucks! He's long since scrapped the truck but I wished I could've gotten them sooner. I'm still kicking my a $$ to this day over that......
Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
crowdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
Had a chance a while back to buy a set off a fella on the west side of Puget Sound a while ago for my c20. They were rough but good shape. He wasn't home when I got there. And all 4 for 20 bucks! He's long since scrapped the truck but I wished I could've gotten them sooner. I'm still kicking my a $$ to this day over that......
I had no idea the hubcaps would be so expensive. Personally if I were looking I'd get a rough set for cheap because it looks like they all need paint. Good luck, I know you will eventually find em, just be patient for a good $.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
Dillon Rock

Heck pimpstone those would be worth it. Not many chrome ones left. Especially c20 caps.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
Ronw435

Well made a note to myself. Don't try to replace the front springs with only the frame to help. Removed the old broken spring with out a hitch. Put the front of the frame on jack stands. Put jack under the A-frame. Pushed out the bottom ball joint. Slowly let the jack down and took out the broken spring. Tried using Autozones spring compressor, it worked ok but after getting the ball joint back in I could not get the jaws of the spring compressor out. I tried about everything I could think of, prying the spring open to allow the unit to come out the bottom. No luck. Tried to un-hook the top but could not get it into the straight configuration to let it drop out the bottom. After a couple hours I decided to drop the A-frame and remove the spring and get the D--m compressor out. Now out I thought I could just jack the A-frame back up and connect the ball joint. NOT!!!! The whole frame would lift up before it would even get close to being allowed to put the nut back on. Live and learn. So I am going to now try and put the motor, trans, and drive shaft back in, in hopes that it will be enough weight to keep the frame from lifting off again. And we have said that this is fun???? LMAO.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronw435 View Post
Well made a note to myself. Don't try to replace the front springs with only the frame to help. Removed the old broken spring with out a hitch. Put the front of the frame on jack stands. Put jack under the A-frame. Pushed out the bottom ball joint. Slowly let the jack down and took out the broken spring. Tried using Autozones spring compressor, it worked ok but after getting the ball joint back in I could not get the jaws of the spring compressor out. I tried about everything I could think of, prying the spring open to allow the unit to come out the bottom. No luck. Tried to un-hook the top but could not get it into the straight configuration to let it drop out the bottom. After a couple hours I decided to drop the A-frame and remove the spring and get the D--m compressor out. Now out I thought I could just jack the A-frame back up and connect the ball joint. NOT!!!! The whole frame would lift up before it would even get close to being allowed to put the nut back on. Live and learn. So I am going to now try and put the motor, trans, and drive shaft back in, in hopes that it will be enough weight to keep the frame from lifting off again. And we have said that this is fun???? LMAO.
Don't do all of that just to get the increased weight. There is a thread on hear on how to do that. Maybe some one else will chime in. I remember that there were plenty of alternatives.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
BADAZ chevy guy

I saw a similar situation once. Squeeze the springs down and hold them in place with zip ties (A LOT OF ZIP TIES) around 3 coils. Believe it or not, enough zip ties will hold it. Once you have the ball joints in place start cutting the ties one at a time.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
La Zona Imagery

my new plates just came in

Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
robber grin

^^^ Very SHARP truck! ^^^

Been busy flipping the bed wood mounting flanges, laying the bedwood all out, marking, drilling, and sanding... even finally got some clear on it.

Domino seems to dig it.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
Ronw435

Well I want to thank you all for the information. Not sure who it was but someone said to put a chain around the A-frames and Jack. I didn't have a chain so I used a 2" ratchet strap and it worked like a dream. Both springs in and painting the frame tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the great information everyone gives in these forums.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Nice day, so I took it to Les Schwab to get the inside of the tires flipped to the outside.
The previous owner loaded the truck up too much and put some pretty rough scratches in the tires.
Also the inside of the tires still looked almost brand new.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #18
siggyfreud

Looks good. I think I know right where that's at. Used to live in the OC up until about a year ago.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
LostMy65

Thanks
A boy there around 7 or 8 said excitingly to his daddy;
"Look at that cool old truck, daddy!"

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That's a great shot!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #21
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
That's a great shot!
Thank you, Mark!

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Dillon Rock

Nice shot x2! Lookin good 65. Glad a little fella like him likes these ol' rigs.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
Improbcat

Took the passenger bedside from this:

To this:

Then to this:

The silver is MasterSeries anti-rust paint. Much like POR-15 but less finicky about what you apply it over.

The fill & sand of the grille support & GMC grille also continue.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #24
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Very nice!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #25
Ronw435

Well finally have a painted rolling chassis. Set it out in the Texas sun today. Who needs an oven when you have Texas..........lol.
Attached Images

Closed Thread