The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
Porkchop

What should I do with this engine

Okay, I bought my 69 chevy four years ago with the intentions of restoring it, but with the lack of help, time, skills, tools, and now money, this truck has made no progress at all. It sits with the interior almost gutted, the bed off, the doghouse off, and rust rust rust. I had no real aim of where to go with this truck until this summer. I tore it down to its current condition and figured out what I wanted. Well with no welder and as it turns out, the skills to weld, I can't fix this thing. I have tried welding at the school shop, but I just don't have time and if I hadn't seen others do it, I would swear its an impossibility. There is no chance whatsoever of working on it afterschool. If I do this thing, I want it done right and to look decent. So that means painting the frame, fixing ALL rust, and of course the engine bay would have to be beautiful. I came to grips with the fact that I could't paint the body or spend alot of money on the frame. I went over it in my head and decided that I can build a solid truck with a decent drive train, and later upgrade it. Well, that has since gone out the window. I have chosen an expensive college to go to ($25,000 per year ), and all of a sudden every penny counts. ( not that I was careless with money before) This truck just isn't going to happen. No chance. I "have" the money to finish it the way I want, but I should really save it. Sure, I could slowly do small things to it, but there is one more factor to this drawn out story. I already built a $3000 vortec 355. That's right, the cart is before the horse (or maybe it isn't Hmmmmm.....). This thing has been sitting in my garage for a year and it NEEDS to run. So, my question for you all is, what can I do with this engine? I suppose I could toss it into the chevy and piece the truck back together, but I don't think that is possible. I went crazy with the oxy-acetylene and cut every single rusty bolt and carved out room for all the patch panels. The core support for the radiator won't even go back on. As it sits, it isn't even safe to sit in. So, if I were to do it this way, I would end up spending alot of money and time just to get it running that it would be close to a decent restoration anyway. And as we all know, if you fix one tiny thing, you're going to want to go further and further and further, thus spending more time and money. I don't plan on selling this truck (as a matter of a fact, I REFUSE to sell this truck....or what's left of it)

However, I do have a Ford (I know I know.) It is a 69 and is in great shape for a Michigan truck. The paint is in fine condition and so is the body as far as rust goes. The interior is also great. Sure, these things wouldn't qualify as "restored/show condition" aspects of the truck, but they aren't so bad that they require alot of time, money, or work. So what do you think about putting the engine in this? Yes, I know I am probably asking for alot of trouble, but I don't know what else to do. Maybe you guys could do a cost comparison between fixing the chevy and dropping the 350 into the Ford. (I suppose I could just use the tranny out of the chevy for the time being)

So, what do you think? Which would cost more? Which will take more time and skills? I can describe the work that is required on the Chevy more if you want. I really want your opinions.
One last thing- I really want to avoid selling anything. I ALWAYS here regrets about selling first cars, and I don't want to live in regret. I am EXTREMLY sentimentally attatched to old cars (it tears me up to watch movies in which they wreck classics). I just can't sell the chevy, ford, or the engine, and I don't think it would be financially wise to let a (or even sell) an engine I spent $3000 to build.
Thanks for ANY opinions
brad
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I know you don't want to sell the motor, but it would proably be the best way to go. You would still have the truck, and you can build another vortec 355 (or something better ) in the future.

I understand the college pinch thing.....while mine costs about half as much as yours (state school), i still am paying for most of it out of my pocket, and without a job, i don't have alot of time for my truck.

I'm sure the swap into the Ford would be a possiblity, and i don't have much of a clue what it would take, but i would imagine you would have to fabricate motor and tranny mounts, use a Chevy tranny for simplicity, and get the driveshaft, shift linkages, and tranny lines modified.
Defenitly a possiblity, but it would proably be a lot of work, ard require some welding.

About the welding....it really isn't that hard. You can get a good MIG for around $500 and go to work. You just need to practice a little bit. I'm sure you could get it with a little patience....i did anyway. My welds still don't look that great, but a grinder makes all welders equal

Anyway, good luck with school and whichever route you choose
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:22 AM   #3
gunnersm8

but a grinder makes all welders equal

amen brother
gunnersm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:20 AM   #4
rocky2

my opinion is you should let me use the eng until you are ready for it hehehe.
but seriously I think that you should prime it very well and oil the cylinders seal it in a good engine bag and keep it until you are ready to install it
Old 12-23-2003, 03:57 AM   #5
doughby82

i wouldnt try puttin the motor in the ford.unless it didnt have a motor at all.if it does run i would just drive it.if you have a place that you can store the chevy.then so be it let it sit.get your school done first.

Last edited by doughby82; 12-24-2003 at 03:24 AM.
doughby82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
Smokin72on20s
Ebay Junky

sell the motor to me, that would be the best decision.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
Blue_71
Bloo

well, if it really needs to run, your welcome to put it in my truck untill you get yours done
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote