The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
luvbowties

Question Will these fit? 'vette master cylinders

Will the universal 'vette mc's interchange with the the '71-'72 c10 m/c? They look very similar if using the outlets on the driver's side--many have outlets on both sides with plugs to cap off the side you do not use. Also, these universals seem to come in 2 flavors--'67-'76 and '77-'82, or close.

I like the looks of the fat reservoirs and would want to use the ones with 1 1/8" bore, as my ride has power with disc/drum setup. I'm also using the '71 m/c having the 1 1/8" bore now, along with its matching dist'n block/prop. valve** attached at and just below the m/c. My pedal has started creeping down while stopped like at a light, so I know it's time to replace the m/c.

*I dread the thought of having to again re-bend lines to run from the m/c to the prop-block should the present ones not fit!*

Thanks,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
tincan1966

Re: Will these fit? 'vette master cylinders

A pedal creeping down while holding a stop could be a rear wheel cylinder leaking or a line leaking, too. Best to check everything out good, before replacing parts.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
tincan1966

But to answer your initial question, YES the 'vette m/c should work. You'll want to get the specs on the depth of the pushrod hole to compare to what you have on your current setup. Also, you'll want to compare the fitting/thread sizes, as well.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
jtrichard

tincan if you have pedal creep with no loss of fluid then it is the master cly.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
tincan1966

Didn't see anywhere it said no fluid loss.
There's several possibilities as to the problem.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Rich 5150 69

Why not kit the master, use a brake hone, worth a try...!
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The Vette master cylinders are typically used for disc/disc applications as that was the original use in the Vette. I believe the '67-'76 master will have the deep hole in the back of the piston whereas the '77-'82 will have the shallow hole.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
luvbowties

Question Re: Will these fit? 'vette master cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The Vette master cylinders are typically used for disc/disc applications as that was the original use in the Vette. I believe the '67-'76 master will have the deep hole in the back of the piston whereas the '77-'82 will have the shallow hole.
So your thinking is the earlier one will interchange with the '71-72 style, including lines fitting the prop. valve/dist. block that came on the '71-72 m/c? I don't even know if the 'vette ones used a prop. valve? I'm using that '71-72 style and its prop. valve now with disc/drum. [I know how to deal with the mechanics regarding the difference between the shallow and deep-piston hole. Thx for mentioning it! I'm now using the plug-spacer, as my booster rod ends flush w/end of booster; and '71-72 used deep-hole style for BOTH power and non-power assist, iirc.]

Do you know any advantage in using one of the 'vette types over the other? And, where would you suggest buying whichever I decide on? I wanna get a brand new, not a recon. I do want a 1.125" bore, again because that's on now & has "felt good", before its recent creeping to the floor-syndrome.

Thanks, Captain, and all others who have responded.
Sam
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Will these fit? 'vette master cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
A pedal creeping down while holding a stop could be a rear wheel cylinder leaking or a line leaking, too. Best to check everything out good, before replacing parts.
Thx for the alternative-considerations re: my problem. But, there's no loss of fluid; and even 'peeling back' the rubbers on rear brake cyl's reveal bone-dry conditions; expected this, as I installed quality, new wheel cylinders just a few miles back, when I did the brake conversion. My only regret was I could get only a reman m/c as process was under way.

Thx again,
Sam
Old 02-10-2014, 03:25 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have a msater cylinder off of a '71 C20 and it is the shallow bore in the back of the piston. I would go with what ever style is correct for your booster. As far as I know the Corvette's use a prop valve.

I don't know if there is an advantage or not to using a Corvette master cylinder if you are not running 4 wheel discs. The master cylinders that CPP sells with their power brake conversions all appear to be Corvette master cylinders.....at least in appearance. I would just purchase a new master cylinder from your local auto parts supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
So your thinking is the earlier one will interchange with the '71-72 style, including lines fitting the prop. valve/dist. block that came on the '71-72 m/c? I don't even know if the 'vette ones used a prop. valve? I'm using that '71-72 style and its prop. valve now with disc/drum. [I know how to deal with the mechanics regarding the difference between the shallow and deep-piston hole. Thx for mentioning it! I'm now using the plug-spacer, as my booster rod ends flush w/end of booster; and '71-72 used deep-hole style for BOTH power and non-power assist, iirc.]

Do you know any advantage in using one of the 'vette types over the other? And, where would you suggest buying whichever I decide on? I wanna get a brand new, not a recon. I do want a 1.125" bore, again because that's on now & has "felt good", before its recent creeping to the floor-syndrome.

Thanks, Captain, and all others who have responded.
Sam
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Will these fit? 'vette master cylinders

Thanks for all the info. & suggestions. I'm getting the older one, which is NOT for disc/disc. I questioned the action of the newer style for disc/disc if I put it on my disc/drum setup, and did not want to put an adjustable press. reg. anywhere!

But, I just couldn't pay exactly double, locally, so I ordered it from RockAuto--$36 with shipping vs. $72 locally at Adv. A/P. Figure if it won't fit, I can sell it on C'list & recoup my meager investment. Plus, locally it was questionable about its being in stock, per the site online.

Thx again.
Sam