The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
vintagezx

Starting a project Apache 10

Ok, I’ve been waiting until I had a question, but I’ve decided I might save myself some pain by laying out the plan and asking for guidance.

You can see the link to my blog for the gory details, but here is the plan. I have a 1960 Apache 10 that has sat out in the weather for too long. If it hadn’t been my Dad’s truck I would have never tried this. That means I’m making it more work than it should be by not starting off with a good base. I’ll bet I’m not the only one on the list that has done this.

I am slowly pulling the truck apart and have picked up a couple of major parts to make it work. The first was a cab from a 61 that has been in the dessert. I also picked up a core support and inner fenders at the same time. I know I will need to to do some sheet metal work on the cab, but I’m not even going to look to close until the weather is drier and the frame is closer to ready. In the mean time I’m going to get the motor and transmission ready inside where it is warm and wait out the weather.

The original truck had a 235 with a 3 on the tree. It came with out the original engine or transmission and at first I figured I’d get a 350 and drop it in. By chance I picked up a 1975 c10 donor for the front end disc brake conversation. It has a 250 with a 4 speed and It only has 97k original miles. It just had a cracked exhaust manifold and I have a pre 1975 head available. I decided that I like the idea of dropping a 6 back in it and dressing it up. Here’s my Summit Racing shopping list.

As far as suspension, I am planning on 2.5 inch drop spindles and springs and shocks. Not slammed, just take the gap out of the wheel wells.

I have been on the site since November reading and searching. I have found some really good information and I see a lot of knowledge and experience here. I’m tossing out my plan for it to be picked apart. I’m looking forward to the feedback I get.
vintagezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Starting a project Apache 10

OOPs! Wrong tribe. This is Cheyenne country. You need to travel south to find the Apache

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Welcome to the board, and expand on what special k is sayin'. If you go to bottom of the page you'll find a box for the different parts of the board. You would be better to post this in the 60-66 side. You'll find the experts and experienced people for your truck there. By the way Tim that was pretty funny "wrong tribe" lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 02-18-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
FRANKENSTEINC10

hahaha.
sounds like a sweet project though!!
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
vintagezx

Thanks for the kind rebuke. I was posting this past my bedtime and did not catch I was in the wrong group. I've repost appropriately.

Thanks
vintagezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 AM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagezx View Post
Thanks for the kind rebuke. I was posting this past my bedtime and did not catch I was in the wrong group. I've repost appropriately.

Thanks
You are more than welcome, good luck on your project and I'm looking forward to your progress

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the board. I was just trying to help in my own little "different" way. Thanks for clarifying it,Dale. And don't worry,it's a big site with a big menu for anyone just starting up here. happens all the time. As far as your truck and plans for it goes,I'm real curious to see how it goes. I love hearing about family trucks being saved and brought back.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote